Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: The Mead Hall: Songs, Tales, Poems, and everything else.  (Read 2445 times)

TankKit

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably writing something.
    • View Profile
Re: The Mead Hall: Songs, Tales, Poems, and everything else.
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2016, 12:24:06 pm »

What are the names of the moderators? Or should I just post that I want it moved to General discussion? If it is the latter, then could a moderator please move this thread to the General Disscussion?
“I would stop you from doing unholy experiments with my people, but I don’t actually care about their well-being and I kinda want to see what happens”

Spoken like a true god TankKit.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2016, 09:42:31 pm »

:v

Though honestly, I thought this thread would be about the procedurally generated music, dance and poetry. They can get into surprisingly complicated multi-page works, after all.

TankKit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2016, 01:05:39 am »

:v

Though honestly, I thought this thread would be about the procedurally generated music, dance and poetry. They can get into surprisingly complicated multi-page works, after all.
Yeah sorry, I recently realized this is on dwarf mode discussion instead of general discussion  :'(
“I would stop you from doing unholy experiments with my people, but I don’t actually care about their well-being and I kinda want to see what happens”

TankKit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2016, 02:03:32 am »

Also, if the thread is moved will anything be reset?

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2016, 02:35:55 am »

Nope. Don't worry about it too much tbh, bay12 is relatively lax about topic drift and placement, as evidenced by most of a page passing before it being mentioned.

TankKit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2016, 10:57:53 am »

This is a poem about the elf Cacame, and how he became a kind of dwarves.
Cacame was an elf
Until on one fatefull day
his hate for dwarven wealth
made him pay.

His wife was eaten
Filling him with rage
He killed withour reason
he ripped out his page.

He changed his own fate
He was so badass the dwarves worshiped him
In a mighty dwarven keep he wait(ed)
He killed and killed, threw bodies in bins.

He waited for revenge
Crazy things he did
He killed people with a bench
He was not an elven kid.

He hated his own kind
His revenge was taken from him
His story couldn't unwind
It was like a sim.

He killed and killed and killed
Filled with a rage
He fill and filled and filled
Stronger than a necromancer mage.

He grew an army
Of elves and goblins
He killed babies
And threw them in bins.

His rage knew no bound
He would kill it all
Not letting his story unwound
Not letting himself fall.
Sorry if it's not as good as the last one, and a bit random, but I think it describes Cacame w-

Tankit stops post, Reason: interrupted by Cacame!
Cacame punches Tankit in the chest, and the injured part explodes!

Tankit has been missing for a week!
Tankit has been found dead, half his body smashed into the wall.

TankKit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2016, 02:00:17 am »

This is a poem about my current adventurer Shanum. If your intrested then go to http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=161022.0, I am currently waiting for someone to choose what he does at the moment.

20 men attacked Shanum
They all died a grusome death
It definetely wasn't fun
And when he was done Shanum was out of breath!

Many wounds he took
Still he kept fighting
It was like something out of a book
He sent the remaining two hiking!

The power of Armok was in him
And on that very gruesome day
Surrounded by all the limbs
He officially joined the Armok way!

TankKit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2016, 03:05:43 am »

This is a tale inspired by 12:54 in https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIzZ0C0V0hk.

The dragon had been crawling to this fort for years, for he had a missing foot and narcalepsy! However, this wouldn't stop him from coming to the fort to plunder it's riches, oh now it wouldn't, the dragon thought. Then it saw a stray cat wandering around outside, and started chasing it and breathing fire at it while also regularly falling unconcious, it was determined to kill that cat. The cat decided to go inside, and so did the dragon, however the dragon fell unconcious right before the moat of the fort. The military then proceeded to wrestle it to death! As it died, it though ''What went wrong?''

TankKit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2016, 04:12:08 am »

I'm going on holiday for a while.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2016, 05:06:35 pm »

I decided to log into DF Forums during an off day at college, and peruse the loveliness that is the sociopathic but sweetly empathetic world of Dwarf Fortress.

Slowly, slowly, from deep within of my mind comes forth all of the stories and poems that I have seen over the many years I have been on this forum. The denizens of this forums has never ceased to amaze me with the creativity. There is so much poetry and song to go through, and I will sort it all here to the best of my ability.

= = = = =
Let me bring forth a book for you to witness: the histories of the people, those that have passed on or those that are still with us. Where to begin, my friends? Where does the storyteller begin his story? I bring forth this book for you to pass on.

--From within his jacket, he withdraws a large book. A glazed look crosses his face as he begins to ponder where to begin.

A song, I believe. Yes. A melody, can be found here [It is a masterpiece, written by the community, and played by Retro]. There were pages upon pages of lyrics that dwarves wrote and contributed to. The versions varied from home to home, but it was known as the "Epic Dwarven Drinking Song of Many Names". Sadly, the years passed on through. Some still sing it's sweet lyrics [Sung by Sluggie]. The words have been etched into the books, and here I know where to find them. Within those pages was also To the Bottle.

--Thumbs through a few more pages, and takes a long look the page. A small smile spreads on his face.

Every year, Ortho Clause, or Urist McClause, the Merry Slayer of Elves, comes to the good Mountainhomes and delivers goodies to the dwarves that live under the mountains. If you listen, you may hear the voices still singing a song for him. His story was simple, if you care to divest some time into hearing it. I believe it came to be in one of even mu own fortresses, so many years ago. The song is simple, and can be found on this page if you are interested.

--A few pages later, he stops again, pointing to a picture of a book in the book.

Ah, yes, yes. The Grimoire of Armok. This was a collective work of the denizens that came before some of you. Does it fit with the category of poetry? There is some poetry involved in it, and it is definitely worth a read through. There are several books that were a compilation, and only a few were ever made. The Book of Urist is the most completed, I believe, even though it is preceded by the Book of WorldGenesis. The works were combined and filtered through by a squirrely man named Karakzon. Never knew what became of him. He started writing his last masterpiece, the Book of Id, but I do not think it was completed.

--He pulls the book back, and flips through more pages. Without looking up, he begins again:

The Dwarven Haiku was an art form. There are nineteen pages devoted to the works of some of the brilliant minds that made them. It has been several years since anyone has tried one. I believe the writers of such works were generally a little rocks short of a bridge, if you catch my drift.

Along that note, even, there was an attempted sonnet. What an idea! I think I have it written down... here.

Some of these are epic recountings of battles fought, like the Sad Plight of the Forgotten Beast and the Titan.

--He leans back in his chair.

Sometimes, some people are just bound to make poetry, as the world we see is filled with epics. And all you need is a ditty.

--Closing the book, he nods slowly. A history lesson for all of you. Inspiration from your comrades at arms, as they came before you.
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2016, 06:45:25 pm »

From the works of another:

Legend of the Bard with the Stone Triangle
He was high master percussionist
He practiced on a pot
He wandered ruins far and deep
In search of the legendary dacite koshmot

He searched the ruined fortress's foundation
He found many corpses dwarven
In search of the dacite koshmot
But in that location was no longer stored there

He died finding it, and played it once
But the Stone Triangle'd make you weep
It's glory was everlasting menace
With spikes of wool from sheep
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0
Pages: 1 [2]