Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 50

Author Topic: A Star Once Fallen OOC~6/6 players (Testing Open Legend RPG)  (Read 58284 times)

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
Re: A Star Once Fallen OOC~6/6 players (Testing Open Legend RPG)
« Reply #225 on: October 15, 2016, 09:07:18 pm »

I suppose that's true enough, but if we were going to do it that way I'd prefer the milestone level system where Dwarm is just like "right, you guys level up because I  feel like it."
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: October 16, 2016, 11:46:29 am »

30 encounters might very well be like, not that bad, this is a "testing game" after all right. How long do we expect it to go on?

Forever? :P

There is an actual plot for you guys to pursue, but I could run semi-random encounters as long as people want to play them.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: October 16, 2016, 11:52:18 am »

I'd prefer an actual plot, since my character isn't exactly optimised for combat :P
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: October 16, 2016, 02:49:49 pm »

I'd prefer an actual plot, since my character isn't exactly optimised for combat :P

Humm, I'm not sure if it would be too OP to give your character some sort of 'blasting ability' that uses a supernatural attribute for attack...
« Last Edit: October 16, 2016, 02:52:09 pm by Dwarmin »
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: October 16, 2016, 02:55:16 pm »

Moon laser is go?

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: October 16, 2016, 02:59:23 pm »

Moon laser is go?

You'd probably have to go into energy to get some sort of obvious blasting ability. I just sent you a PM that outlined some potential creative uses of your abilities. Might as well repost, this would probably go for Jao too.

A few attributes can be used for damaging attacks in special circumstances in which the story dictates that the damage arises from your skill in the attribute. These include Logic, Protection, Alteration, Influence, and Movement. Though the occasions to use these attributes for damage will be rare, as long as the story makes sense, combatants should be able to damage foes with them. Examples of situations in which these attributes might be used in an action roll for a damaging attack are provided below.

Logic. Springing a trap on your foes.

Protection. Shielding yourself with a wall of magical knives.

Alteration. Causing a tree branch to strangle a foe.

Influence. For illusory effects that are convincing enough, any number could mimic damage until your enemy is aware of the trick. For supernatural compulsion, forcing a dominated enemy to stab himself.

Movement. Using telekinesis to hurl a boulder at a foe.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: October 16, 2016, 03:59:25 pm »

Oh goodness I want to make trees strangle the enemy

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: October 16, 2016, 04:01:32 pm »

Auto regeneration boon is pretty powerful in combat. Combine with giant mud hands and I'm sure that Rabbit Chan will be appropriately op.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: October 17, 2016, 04:18:07 am »

Cost: 3 points

Prerequisites
None
Description
Whether your are delivering a flurry of blows, wielding two weapons, or calling a chain of lightning bolts from the sky, you have mastered the art of delivering multiple attacks.

Effect
Before attacking, you may declare that you are multi-attacking, and must state how many extra attacks you would like to make. For each extra attack, all of your attacks this turn suffer disadvantage 3 (i.e., making 2 extra attacks would incur disadvantage 6 on ALL of your attacks). For each tier of this feat, reduce the disadvantage penalty by 1. Resolve each attack indidvidually, applying any other multi-targeting options as you wish. You can move between each of these attacks and they can be used to target the same creature more than once. There is no limit to the number of additional attacks you can make using this feat.

It's a good thing this game has that "failed rolls don't just mean nothing happens" mechanic, and the ability of a DM to just say "no you can't do that you powergaming asshole" or this feat would be insanely overpowered. To explain, since advantage and disadvantage only affect the attribute dice, you could just declare a massive number of attacks, and even with Disadvantage 10,000 all it would mean is that the attribute dice basically default to 1... But the D20 is unaffected. Sure, you might declare 1000 attacks and miss 600 because it was in the 1-10 range, but 20 of those are going to be D20 crits, and 380 are going to be in the 11-19 range that will hit an enemy without very high defenses anyway.

I've also come to the realization that disadvantage isn't as disadvantageous as advantage is advantageous because dice explode but there's no "implosion" effect that makes rolling a minimum as bad as a max roll is good, hence a skew towards maximum of the same magnitude as a skew toward minimum is better.

On another note, I think I may have asked before but forgotten the answer (or didn't receive one) but what would you consider the upper limit of the size of an object my character could absorb? Where is the upper limit at? Suit of armor -> Table -> Cupboard -> Piano -> Large Boulder -> Hut -> House -> Mansion.

Also, if she (or her equipment) is in touch with a large number of smaller objects (like the chunks and blood of monkeywasp from the enemy Anders blew up) does each chunk have to be painstakingly and individually sucked up, or can she quickly clean herself by drawing in all the giblets, then pushing them out again in a neat pile? The imagery is a bit disturbing, but this is one of the weirder abilities to figure out its limits and how it functions.

« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 05:41:30 am by UXLZ »
The circle is complete.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: October 17, 2016, 05:52:53 am »

Don't even need that ability even to abuse disadvantage, magical attacks can aoe with size dependent on how many disadvantages you want. Technically nothing stopping our enchanters from declaring an battlefield sized domination effect, which has about a 60% chance to snare the entire enemy group at once. Sorta a silly system.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 05:54:47 am by Criptfeind »

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: October 17, 2016, 06:00:35 am »

Moon laser is go?

You'd probably have to go into energy to get some sort of obvious blasting ability. I just sent you a PM that outlined some potential creative uses of your abilities. Might as well repost, this would probably go for Jao too.

In regards to supernatural attribute attacks, I really can't figure out why Movement isn't just one of the default "you can blast things with this" abilities. It doesn't take much creativity to just say "I'm carrying a quiver of arrows/bag of needles/rocks/bunch of daggers/swords that I'm telekineticly propelling at my foes" so just let it use lances and blades of force. (That are clearly visible to stop the inevitable talk of "hey, since no one can see these attacks shouldn't I have advantage on them?")

It's probably like that because it already contains teleportation, protection, and haste (even if tier one and two hastes aren't so useful, tier three+ gives an extra major action which is always insanely good in turn based games.)

Ultimately this is a game where a lot of power is unlocked through imagination (and your ability to persuade the DM that this totally isn't broken and makes a lot of sense in-universe so you should let me do it =P) rather than levels, and movement is extremely strong because telekinesis is an absurdly versatile skill.

Basically, I think you should let Gig use Movement for standard supernatural attacks. How he wants to fluff it is up to him, as long as it's reasonable.
The circle is complete.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: October 17, 2016, 06:04:21 am »

Don't even need that ability even to abuse disadvantage, magical attacks can aoe with size dependent on how many disadvantages you want. Technically nothing stopping our enchanters from declaring an battlefield sized domination effect, which has about a 60% chance to snare the entire enemy group at once. Sorta a silly system.

Purely from a mechanical standpoint, but the game explicitly talks about the "PCs failing isn't just nothing happens." It's mostly just munchkin tactics though, because it's an argument from "the rules don't say I can't repeatedly cast a domination effect that covers the entire planet until I eventually get lucky and succeed" rather than "this is obviously reasonable and how it should work."

I think it's just one of those things with an extra caveat that says "if advantage or disadvantage is greater than X, auto succeed or fail." The DM can pretty easily rule it out though, most cases of abusing the system are super obvious.

The easiest fix is "every fourth stack of advantage/disadvantage affects the D20 rather than the attribute dice" or something similar.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 06:07:45 am by UXLZ »
The circle is complete.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: October 17, 2016, 06:08:47 am »

There should be a mechanic where the GM can just slap people who try to munchkin irl.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: October 17, 2016, 06:18:13 am »

If someone tried to do that for me I'd say something along the lines of "As you begin your insanely ferocious assault, the rapidly shifting velocity and extreme speed of your limbs tear them to pieces, the aftershocks ripple through your body vaporizing all internal organs in an instant. Make a new character."

Regardless, High Fantasy games usually have some pretty abuseable rulesets, and this game is a bit looser than most. It's overall an advantage though, since it lets us do some really cool things without egregious homebrewing. =P

I might actually make it so my character pulls needles out of hammerspace and uses those as a ranged attack via propelling using telekinetic force rather than just throwing daggers. (As a later developed skill after toying around with telekinese more, probably) It would actually make her slightly weaker crunchwise because Supernatural is currently 3 and Agility is 5 (and I intend on both of them staying relatively close to each other), but it would be so much cooler. As long as it's a sharp weapon it's thematic, too, since I think I'll end up expanding it to be everything sharp (including Spears as you suggested Dwarm, being a favored weapon of Valkyries)

Hmm, so many possibilities. I just need to be careful and not go nuts with the potential.
The circle is complete.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: October 17, 2016, 10:43:13 am »

On another note, I think I may have asked before but forgotten the answer (or didn't receive one) but what would you consider the upper limit of the size of an object my character could absorb? Where is the upper limit at? Suit of armor -> Table -> Cupboard -> Piano -> Large Boulder -> Hut -> House -> Mansion.

If it really comes down to 'can I pick up the dead hydra and place it in my inventory?' I'll use the D&D rules for the bag of holding, with your primary stat determining your max limits.

Stat Lv. 6 [or whatever level you have it via feat]  (weight limit) 250 lb (Space limit) 30 cu. ft (The size of a refrigerator)
Stat Lv. 7    (weight limit) 500 lb. (Space limit) 70 cu. ft. 
Stat Lv. 8    (weight limit ) 1,000 lb. (Space limit) 150 cu. ft.
Stat Lv. 10 (weight limit) 1,500 lb. (Space limit) 250 cu. ft.

Just scale up. It'll be broken no matter what I use, so might as well go with established rules.

Also, there's eventually going to be a question of where all that stuff is actually going...

Also, if she (or her equipment) is in touch with a large number of smaller objects (like the chunks and blood of monkeywasp from the enemy Anders blew up) does each chunk have to be painstakingly and individually sucked up, or can she quickly clean herself by drawing in all the giblets, then pushing them out again in a neat pile? The imagery is a bit disturbing, but this is one of the weirder abilities to figure out its limits and how it functions.

Yeah, let's just say if it has no mechanic effect, you can do it. Like, cleaning yourself off, no problem.

Making a portable air-bubble by sucking the water out around you underwater, so you can walk across the ocean floor? I dunno!

As for all the other questions, I think taking disadvantage on your D20 as well, is a logical choice. I'll add it to the house rules.

Also if anyone starts AOE'ing the whole map at once, there's going to be some friendly fire tho...haha. Ranged AOE in general should be considered dangerous if you fail the roll.

In fact, I think when I'm considering effects related to failed rolls, those rolls done with an advantage will be generally slight negative in return for success/allow you to take back your action (You can land safely jumping on the Hydra's back, but you'll be prone, or do you abandon your jump and try again on the return swing?), but those done with a disadvantage will be a choice between two 'evils', as in you're going to succeed, but you probably don't want to. :P (You lost your grip and you're falling. Do you aim for the Hydras gullet, trying to balance between his teeth, or try and land aside the razor sharp poison spines on his head?)

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 50