Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 50

Author Topic: A Star Once Fallen OOC~6/6 players (Testing Open Legend RPG)  (Read 58252 times)

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
Re: A Star Once Fallen OOC~6/6 players (Testing Open Legend RPG)
« Reply #150 on: October 11, 2016, 11:57:59 am »

Tweaked up the map a bit. Nice straight blocks for all of you that don't matrix vision. J onward I notice I made typo...meh.

Thanks for not choosing a color ATHATH!
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: October 11, 2016, 12:07:08 pm »

Huh. Apparently the rules we've been using were just updated. Merging illusion and enchantment. Racial bonuses are now part of a perk and flaw system, and levels have been split up in thirds. Not really notable for our game except the illusion and enchantment thing, and if Dwarmin wants us to pick flaws.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: October 11, 2016, 12:08:36 pm »

It's not a case of desire, it's a case of chemistry. Even if he himself did desire change (and I'm fairly sure of a way to convince him to) the fact is that he is physically and biologically incapable of changing. It's more than an attitude problem, it's inherent. He'd need some sort of magical aid (perhaps a powerful enchantment spell?) to become totally (or at least more) "normal".

But he'd probably still have to seek it out. Typically you have to ask for redemption, or at least transmutation in his case. Considering that he sees no deficit to his condition, he'd really have no desire to seek out the wizard/god/priest that could help, and would probably turn it down if the offer was made.

Exactly. Just wanting to change wouldn't be enough, he'd have to actively pursue.

Even if he sees no deficit in his condition, he could be made to. Unless he is totally free of desire, no entity is spared from this form of persuasion.
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: October 11, 2016, 12:19:37 pm »

Huh. Apparently the rules we've been using were just updated. Merging illusion and enchantment. Racial bonuses are now part of a perk and flaw system, and levels have been split up in thirds. Not really notable for our game except the illusion and enchantment thing, and if Dwarmin wants us to pick flaws.

So it would seem.

The new level system smooths things out and makes the increases in power a bit less spiky. I think I like it a fair deal actually, though the old one is also fairly good due to lack of book keeping.

Perks and Flaws system is... Interesting. The game has now totally abandoned all pretenses of a racial system which I believe suits it extremely well. It makes things marginally more obtuse but allows for more diversity within the system.

Illusion and Enchantment being fused is a little bit weird, but I can understand why they might be.

Overall, I think this is a good change for the RPG system.
The circle is complete.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: October 11, 2016, 12:48:13 pm »

I like that change too. I never liked being pigeonholed into playing a specific race because it was always going to be mechanically better.

That being said, does anyone want to either redesign their perks, or take some flaws?

Existing perks don't really need much changing, I think.

Also-it's indirectly stated, but taking a flaw (and rping it) gives you Legend Points, which you can exchange for Advantage on various actions...

When you have advantage on an action, roll an extra number of attribute dice equal to your advantage level.
Then, when adding your dice together, ignore the lowest X attribute dice, in which X is your advantage level.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: October 11, 2016, 12:51:15 pm »

I might take a gander through the flaws list and see what catches my fancy.

Also, DWARMIN, what sort of divine impulses do you think a Valkyrie's daughter would have? >_>
Do I make shit up myself? Do you have a suggestion? Or do I go normal goody-two-shoes Angel route?
The circle is complete.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: October 11, 2016, 01:42:10 pm »

I might take a gander through the flaws list and see what catches my fancy.

Also, DWARMIN, what sort of divine impulses do you think a Valkyrie's daughter would have? >_>
Do I make shit up myself? Do you have a suggestion? Or do I go normal goody-two-shoes Angel route?

Yeah, the list is just a lot of suggestions, you can make up whatever you think would be cool and discuss it with me.

Let's see.

I'm pretty Valkyries are definitely defined as more 'lawful' than 'good'. They're agents of Fate, not entirely good or bad. They choose who lives and dies (based on that persons valor or lack of-ironically, being a good warrior might get you killed, while a coward would live), and where that person goes after they die-but, they're servants of the dead, not masters. In other canon, Valkryies are also champions-they protect the dead, honor the Gods with their valorous deeds, challenge the living to prove their worth, and seek glorious battles against mighty enemies.

Some ideas
Possible Perks/flaws? (or just character traits for you to play.)

~Deathsense: You just have a feeling when someone is about to die...maybe the person will have an otherwordly glow around them, there will be a flap of wings only you can hear, or the winding of a distant horn, the gleam of a spear in the sky high above, or a single feather falling in front of you, etc. This was alluded to in your intro story, and you could play on this.

~Winds of Fate: More so, you may have an idea when someone is supposed to die-you could have an innate sense of rightness about their death, that they are fated to meet it. You may feel a compulsion to end someones suffering so they can go to the afterlife...even if they might be saved, by some means, you know these means will be 'unnatural' and you'll feel that it's very wrong. A bit complicated, since what if your mortal half desperately doesn't want that person to die? Which side do you choose?

~Not your time: This is the opposite of the above-since you have free will (as a mortal), yet the blood of an immortal being, you disrupt fate by your mere existence. You may feel a strong compulsion that someone who is close to death that you feel should not die-you could feel a strong desire to save them, maybe even feeling guilty-since on some level, the only reason they are going to die is because of your actions...strangely, it might be someone you'd really feel would be better off dead. Might also explain why your divine parent intervenes to save you.

~One Man, One Life: Anyone who violates the sanctity of death, or prolongs their life past natural means earns your immediate 'attention'. You may feel an unsubtle urge to restore the balance. You will fill immense pity/sadness at tormented spirits/undead, and a desire to send them off to their deserved afterlife. People who consciously avoid their fated death, however, you will likely be angry toward, perhaps enraged-you will want to destroy these people, on some level.

~Einherjar: A potentially different take on the above-maybe your powers attract you towards worthy warriors-either romantically, or merely practically. You could feel a compulsion to 'test' them-possibly, in a battle to the death. If you go all prose edda in here, you won't feel bad about killing someone you consider a worthy warrior, actually-since they go paradise when they die, and in paradise they prepare for an even greater war that will herald the end of the world (Ragnarok). So you're just doing the work of the Gods. This trait might, in general, just lead you to being extremely aggressive and somewhat fearless in combat-and not afraid to kill, if needed. Likewise, you may feel extreme dislike/disgust toward dishonorable warriors, and feel the need to send them to the bad afterlife they probably deserve. It should be noted 'worthy' does not exactly equal 'good', at least if you tend towards strict Nordic interpretation-an evil Tyrant who is otherwise a peerless warrior could command your respect, as much as a good man who is an average warrior.

~Cupbearer: You might have a very lawful tendency, and an interest in obeying the natural order of Kings, Man and God. Any sort of lawfully chosen leader will naturally command your respect, at least until they lose it. You are inclined to obey orders given to you by someone of a superior 'rank', at least initially.

~Animal Affinity: Given Valkyries are often seen riding horses (with wings or not), you could have a love of these animals-something verging on an elemental bond. Equines may, in turn, be friendly toward you. Valkyrie's also have close connection to avians-ravens, doves, hawks etc. Similar to above.

~Nail and Hammer: Valkyries traditionally wield a spear and shield, and you may feel more comfortable fighting with these weapons. Of course they carry swords too.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2016, 01:48:41 pm by Dwarmin »

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: October 11, 2016, 02:17:29 pm »

Hmm, most of those are pretty damn good. I wouldn't have been able to think them up myself, so thank you. ^_^

The ones I'm interested in in particular however, are:

~Deathsense: The feathers in the intro story were an allusion to the prevented death of Emilia. She should have died in that shipwreck, she should died when that tree fell, but was saved by her mother. (That was due to taking the Divine Intervention racial bonus, which I thought fit quite nicely with the theme.) Whether or not she has some sort of feeling for if someone is going to die soon is entirely up to you, and it would be an extremely hard ability to properly work with due to the open nature of the game. Perhaps people who are supposed to die could have it, and she would feel a compulsion to avoid saving them? (Or potentially kill them herself, though I'm not sure that fits.)

~Winds of Fate: Sort of already spoken about. I definitely like the idea of this ability, but it's going to rely a lot on you as well, so if you think you can take the added strain I'd like to use it.

~One Man, One Life: This on the other hand is very interesting.

~Animal Affinity: One thing I was considering doing was have her vaguely figure out a bit of her own heritage, while I spec a few points into things like Creation magic. I was also considering a Raven Familiar/Companion which would fit fairly nicely with this.

Hm, since the guidebook does mention adding perks/flaws as the game goes along... How about she takes Winds of Fate, One Man, One Life, and the Divine Intervention racial bonus she currently has (or its new equivalent.) Divine intervention is a straight-up buff but the other two I would say are partially perk, partially flaw. Then, if we get to the point where she does end up discovering a bit more about herself and getting that companion, might end up with Animal Affinity.
The circle is complete.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: October 11, 2016, 02:28:17 pm »

There's flaws and stuff?
I'll take a look.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: October 11, 2016, 02:54:32 pm »

You've got it partially right. Ideally, if you took the 'fated' flaws-you would trigger them whenever you feel your character would have the greatest effect on the plot. You might spare someone who you would otherwise kill, or let someone die who you would otherwise want to live. Flaws are completely controlled by you, the player. You can choose to trigger them or not, and I just determine if it's worth a Legend Point. Note, it's usually worth a legend point when it actually debilitates you/the party somehow. It has to have a cost.

Don't take flaws if you don't intend to trigger them, IMO-you can leave them as character quirks. Only take them if you feel they're actually strong enough compulsions that your character might act against their own best interests to fulfill them-that's the definition of a flaw.

See, It's not up to me-in the cases where you use them, someones life/death would be totally up to you. Flaws are primarily intended to encourage roleplaying. I wouldn't, and couldn't, actually determine if a character was 'fated' to die or live-that would be way too much GM intrusion against player free will.

Ex~ "Sorry, you can't kill him! He's protected by...magic, and stuff!"

So let's sum those up in game terms, if you accept them.

Quote from: One Man, One Life
You feel a strong urge to restore the balance of life and death, when you feel it has been violated. You may choose to engage in battles and feuds against the undead and those who pervert the powers of death, beyond any logical reason you can fathom. You may resist treating the undead, even intelligent ones, with anything other than overwhelming force-and retreating in the face of them is nearly unthinkable.
Quote from: Winds of Fate
You occasionally feel a strong compulsion that some people should die-that it is their time, and their death is just and right in an ordered universe. In such a case, you will feel compelled to either let them die as the Gods will it, or to perform such an act yourself, or to encourage it in some way-especially if, that person is one you wish to live.

Likewise, we could combine winds+not your time into one flaw, if you feel that's more to your style.

Also, Deathsense as a perk would essentially be like Divine Intervention-just on other people. You'd probably have to put it on someone as a buff, let's say 'Deathwatch'? And if they would die while you are deathwatching them, you can give them a warning or maybe physically act in some way to prevent that.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: October 11, 2016, 03:02:36 pm »

Hmm, I see. I'll leave them as quirks for the time being, at the very least it gives me a bit more of an idea on how to RP in certain situations.

The impression I was under though would be that these "fated" characters would ultimately have their fates decided by the PCs, rather than some sort of GM intrusion. For instance, a wealthy merchant lord is waylaid alongside the road by bandits. You tell me he is "fated" to die there, and my character would have to fight the urge to abandon him, try to get him killed by convincing the party it isn't worth it despite the benefit rescuing him might give them, etc. Ultimately probably best as quirks, though.
The circle is complete.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: October 11, 2016, 03:21:11 pm »

Hmm, I see. I'll leave them as quirks for the time being, at the very least it gives me a bit more of an idea on how to RP in certain situations.

The impression I was under though would be that these "fated" characters would ultimately have their fates decided by the PCs, rather than some sort of GM intrusion. For instance, a wealthy merchant lord is waylaid alongside the road by bandits. You tell me he is "fated" to die there, and my character would have to fight the urge to abandon him, try to get him killed by convincing the party it isn't worth it despite the benefit rescuing him might give them, etc. Ultimately probably best as quirks, though.

Yeah, it's a bit hidden under the text, but flaws/perks can be developed in game. It's entirely possible you develop one of these flaws organically during the campaign, and I reward you a Legend point for taking it upon yourself.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: October 11, 2016, 04:06:12 pm »

I'll have to keep my eyes open then. ^_^

Right, something else I was meant to ask. Can I propel items out of hammerspace with force? Can I partially push them out like a hidden blade, or is it all or nothing? Last but not least, outside of the stuff I am wearing, how much can I drag along with me when I teleport?
The circle is complete.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: October 11, 2016, 04:16:44 pm »

Right well, I don't intend to change any flaws or stuff, and note that my mediocre halfling has just got slightly less mediocre what with suddenly acquiring 3 in Illusion too, if I follow correctly.

Crikey.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: October 11, 2016, 04:19:14 pm »

Congratulations on your mediocre bard becoming slightly less mediocre.

Also, they changed the names of a few things. Abjuration and Divination appear to now be Protection and Prescience.
The circle is complete.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 50