Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 71

Author Topic: Small Mercies (OOC) | Mercenary Menageries in Space (6/[6]) [WARNING: TEXT]  (Read 106977 times)

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
Re: Small Mercies (OOC) | Mercenary Menageries in Space (6/[6]) [WARNING: TEXT]
« Reply #525 on: January 17, 2017, 04:18:24 pm »

Crikey, I have a lot of OOC to catch up on again now!

Is it possible to scan Varkonius's ship to retrieve details of where he's been/might have left the Star?

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: January 17, 2017, 04:24:58 pm »

All I know is my character went from mostly useless, to actively useless.

I think we are all suffering from some mild attacks of OHGODITSHORRIBLEWHATSHOULDIDO (or is it just me), and I am particularly admiring of how your fish fits in, Dwarmin.

edit: oh shit

edit: could we blow the bomb out of the shuttle with the probe?

edit: oh balls
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 04:34:28 pm by lawastooshort »

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #527 on: January 17, 2017, 04:40:12 pm »

I wonder what rainbow doge wants with the Star, anyway. Doesn't seem like a melted lump of wire should have any real significance to someone commanding post-Apex biotech, regardless of the value it holds to the ones it was taken from.

On an unrelated note, someone should totally make a tvtropes for this.
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: January 17, 2017, 04:52:52 pm »

I wonder what rainbow doge wants with the Star, anyway. Doesn't seem like a melted lump of wire should have any real significance to someone commanding post-Apex biotech, regardless of the value it holds to the ones it was taken from.

On an unrelated note, someone should totally make a tvtropes for this.

Possibly holding them all to ransom with it, or forcing the entire race to come to the same place, and then turn them to painful mush.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: January 17, 2017, 05:23:02 pm »

Yeah, it helped.

All I know is my character went from mostly useless, to actively useless. She's not really a mercenary, not cut out for grimdark scifi, which is most of what we're doing. It's literally not her genre-she'd rather be off exploring exotic worlds and having 'adventure', than talking with a crazy guy in a hangar and trying to steal things and shoot people, which is what most of the other crew is good at. I don't really see much of that other thing happening, since it seems we're getting some sort of big galaxy wide alien invasion/political plot now. Hell, she's not even welcome as comic relief, in this universe everything is depressing.

I am honestly thinking I might have made the wrong sort of character for your game. She'd be great on board the Enterprise. Aboard the Nostromo, not very useful.

Dude, I picked Sadish. She's the girl for the job. There's always a bit of light and levity in all things. See Khate + Ty, See the introduction for this little system and the business presentation gone awry, see the adorable little squid things and their horrifying reproductive cycle. Right now, for the last couple of turns, things are shit and horrifying and terrible because I REALLY NEED TO IMPRESS UPON YOU THAT THIS CHARACTER IS BAD. Not just the kind of bad that you should avoid, but the kind of bad that any sane creature of normal morality should try to stand up to. The kind of bad that makes you want to stand and fight instead of run, because you know that if you run, he's not going to follow you, he's not going to hunt you, he's just going to destroy everything that you've ever loved because it was in his way.

It's the introduction, stick with me, okay? I made some mistakes by pressing you a little too hard as a problem solver in the beginning, but remember that I'm writing this primarily for the story. No character in a story is eternally useless, but they're not eternally useful either.

I normally don't explain so much, but I don't want to dishearten you. Mickaw is just a jerk.

((Also, everything I write seems to dip a little bit into grimdark. Sorry about that. ))
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: January 17, 2017, 11:59:39 pm »

You know, I just thought of something. If you can't figure out how to deal with Mickaw otherwise, you could always just accept his demands, bore jump out, dump his shuttle at an inhabited system, and then bore jump back. The station crew might all be dead by the time you returned... or we might be having the coolest ice cream party on the Sled while Ka-Taeun cackles maniacally at his greatest work coming to fruition!

I'm personally in favor of having Boris get into a competitive rant about loss and practicality with him, though.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: January 18, 2017, 02:06:51 am »

That would be a solution, yes! Good idea.

edit: also, have added to my actions to be more useful in the (hopefully?) mini-firefight. Hopefully I can see where the enemy is, and then immobilise his armour and Khate can walk up to him and do Khate things to him.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 05:21:52 am by lawastooshort »

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: January 18, 2017, 06:13:33 am »

* Tiruin gives Dwarmin a hug.
She's perfectly at home at the Reunion :P It just seems that way because grumpygrump is the one talking and giving details. Besides, all this RP is perfectly going well!

I forgot Bore laws though :-[ But really under the impression that we can't bore shuttles since they lack a drive--including the sled. Am unsure on if our bore engine can do that at this distance though.

But woooow, we're currently like mercenary mooks stumbling upon the BigAntagonistFightAndRiseToPower. :P Now I know how it feels to be those folks off-camera.

That would be a solution, yes! Good idea.

edit: also, have added to my actions to be more useful in the (hopefully?) mini-firefight. Hopefully I can see where the enemy is, and then immobilise his armour and Khate can walk up to him and do Khate things to him.
We need tech on stun and disarmament :P Instead of outright killy things, we need focus on Khate and Aubrey things.

...After this mission, we should party to take off the tension. This is tense.

Good thing is I can draw a perfectly reasonable level of panic--it's like that PROLOGUE mission in Mass Effect where bigbadmonster is apparent; we see it but hey, it's not killifying us yet! :D
We're just working through initial trauma of seeing people turned into synthetics via spikes meeting a really deadly Cane and a cloaked ship that attack a corp ship.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 06:22:17 am by Tiruin »

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: January 18, 2017, 09:27:26 am »

My only semi-legit gripe is Katuen might be TOO powerful as an adversary. His ship can one shot our ship. He can one shot our whole team with bio-death. He's effectively invulnerable against our combat characters due to his shield (he took an entire crews worth of weapon fire on the vid without flinching). Sadish can't even understand his technology, and she's the 'brains', her defense is pathetic, and she hasn't even managed to get copies to the rest of the crew yet. I get that's part of the story, but I dunno how can we 'stand up' to him at this point. He's engaging on the level that yeah, he should be opposed, but there's no realistic way to do that. So we just feel powerless, waiting for the plot to come and give us the One Ring we can use to banish Sauron.

Edit: Wrong here. Apparently Varkonius still has the star. I believe it might be confirmed the star is actually on Varks ship, then? Maybe the away team is heading in the right direction?
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 09:30:54 am by Dwarmin »
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: January 18, 2017, 09:51:08 am »

I'm putting my bets on Ka-Tuen being propaganda'd up there--mixed details to cover the real ones.
...Although I'm really intrigued in how someone could own a PLANETOID. :P

Also in part--I had that feeling of 'you're useless' too, back there, until I noticed who was thinking it (it was me, not my character, because of over-focus in metaknowledge).

Anyway yeah. We're facing a foe that's unconventional. In the least, Kesari won't be fazed because she's so down-to-earth that she'll be thinking about how to keep everyone alive AND test out how best to show off his 'strengths' to cause the opposite. :P
In all truth, I'm betting he's got those implants that gives those 'short-lived invulnerability effects', sharing my IC guessing. Like how you can cast a booster spell on yourself that trades off time for spellpower and such.

But it's just the tip of the iceberg. :I I would sorely love extra waitlisters here. I mean this game, now established, sounds more like a team-play instead of 'individual heroes' type. And then there were waitlisters in the shuttle to act as 'we don't know who they are yet'.

Edit: Wrong here. Apparently Varkonius still has the star. I believe it might be confirmed the star is actually on Varks ship, then? Maybe the away team is heading in the right direction?
Didn't Irony and the rest vote for hostage rescue instead then? :O

Edoot: See, this is why Sadish should be the one doing these things (Or Boris) given the folks on-ship. :I Despite everything I've said--I didn't think about that question at all. IC or otherwise. Leave me to stripping things down instead ._.
Sadish was silent for a moment.

"...Where is the Star? Do you know what did Katuen wanted it for anyway?"
That question.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 09:52:44 am by Tiruin »

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: January 18, 2017, 10:39:41 am »

My only semi-legit gripe is Katuen might be TOO powerful as an adversary. His ship can one shot our ship. He can one shot our whole team with bio-death. He's effectively invulnerable against our combat characters due to his shield (he took an entire crews worth of weapon fire on the vid without flinching). Sadish can't even understand his technology, and she's the 'brains', her defense is pathetic, and she hasn't even managed to get copies to the rest of the crew yet. I get that's part of the story, but I dunno how can we 'stand up' to him at this point. He's engaging on the level that yeah, he should be opposed, but there's no realistic way to do that. So we just feel powerless, waiting for the plot to come and give us the One Ring we can use to banish Sauron.

Right now is not the time to stand up. Much as the first act of ME is not the time to shoot a Reaper, or how Garion doesn't get trotted out to facestab Kal-Torak in chapter one, or how Luke and Vader don't duel to the death on their first encounter.

I was actually talking this over with my partner, and part of the problem is that I write with your character in mind, not with you in mind. I know that your character has several years of experience being successful and surviving while being attacked by fungal mantids and tree abductions, and I know how my world works, and thus I reasonably know what she can and cannot do, you haven't had a nice set of easy, acclimation type missions in order to get comfortable.

I kind of gave you the Eldritch Horror introduction, where everything is terrible. Which, admittedly, is akin to giving someone their first driving lesson on black ice.

I'm sorry, I promise things will calm down a bit after the intro.

Right after I'm done hurting you more.

...Although I'm really intrigued in how someone could own a PLANETOID. :P

Pretty easily. Same way one can own a company, or a plantation, or be supreme leader of a country. Money, and the power to keep everyone else in line. It's all a matter of scale.

Also, Bore jumping and size: Small scale (non attack) vessels typically don't mount their own bore drives, but larger vessels can open bore's of most any size. The trouble is that the  ENTER side of the bore has to be relatively close to the generating vessel, while the EXIT can be arbitrarily far away. So, tearing off a chunk of the station would not help, since the limiting  factor is not the size of the ship, but the fact that no one there is generating a bore that it can use to get back to the reunion.

Now, if some ship at the station were to generate a bore pointed at the Reunion, that might make things much faster.

I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: January 18, 2017, 11:33:42 am »

Apparently Varkonius still has the star. I believe it might be confirmed the star is actually on Varks ship, then?

We don't know that, do we? I may have missed it, so I am wondering.

In any case I think the best outcome we have here is getting away as soon as we can.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: January 18, 2017, 11:37:02 am »

Apparently Varkonius still has the star. I believe it might be confirmed the star is actually on Varks ship, then?

We don't know that, do we? I may have missed it, so I am wondering.

In any case I think the best outcome we have here is getting away as soon as we can.

Well, according to this guy, Katuen wants to take the star from Vark and Katuen is on the station to take the star, so we can surmise the star is probably on the station. Maybe. :P
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: January 18, 2017, 11:40:32 am »

Yes, if he is perfectly informed, you are right.

But if he was guessing as much as we are...

Also, if the star is on Varkonius' ship, and Katuen is going there, I don't want to go there.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: January 18, 2017, 01:55:51 pm »

Okay, I have like... half of a plan. It involves mechanized punching and praying for good luck.

I'm gonna ask Draignean not to put this into effect like, right away, so others can chime in on if it's a terrible, terrible plan that will only end up with everyone dead in painful ways. I mean, I might still do it, but they're free to chime in. Of course, Mickaw will probably just not agree to coming to the bridge, in which case my only option might be to jam the bomb drone in his face and pull the trigger. Sadish will... run really fast after that?

Kesari could stay on the bridge to use the ship's systems against them/jam comms. Sadish will help with punching when I spring in to rescue her, maybe?
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 01:58:16 pm by Digital Hellhound »
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 71