Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: I just can't get excited for DF anymore.  (Read 5696 times)

PyroTechno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I just can't get excited for DF anymore.
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2016, 12:28:42 pm »

dead dwarven civ.  stops all caravans and migrants beyond two hardcoded waves.

You'd think so, and then that doesn't happen. Trust me, I've tried it. Caravans continue to appear magically out of nowhere, and migrants seem to generate on the edge of the map and wander on in. I usually choose to interpret it as a surviving population of homeless nomads, but it's really a bug.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2016, 02:03:57 pm »

Then the civ isn't dead.

It could be nearly dead, with one campsite acting as their last site. But a dead-dead civ does not send caravans or migrants past the second wave.

Also if migrants are a concern just turn down the population limit. My fort hasn't had new migrants for like 5 years.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2016, 09:28:03 am »

You'd think so, and then that doesn't happen. Trust me, I've tried it. Caravans continue to appear magically out of nowhere, and migrants seem to generate on the edge of the map and wander on in. I usually choose to interpret it as a surviving population of homeless nomads, but it's really a bug.
As Dunamisdeos pointed out, there's a difference between dead & dying, for civs.

In this embark, for example, the only dwarven civ is dead.  Not just dying.  No liaison visits, no caravans, and only two migrant waves.  You are alone.  :o

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2016, 05:38:17 am »

I personally think toady should do something about the fps drains in this game. Would make the game much more enjoyable.
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...

Iapetus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2016, 02:12:50 am »

I've heard that raw editing (removing many of the types of clothing, animals, stone, etc) can be used to improve fps.  Is that correct?
Engraved on the floor is a well-designed image of a kobold and a carp.  The kobold is making a plaintive gesture.  The carp is laughing.

Ironbreaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2016, 06:37:57 am »

Well, I found that a buggy install of graphics packs can cause the fps lag. I also went and moved my saves over onto my iMac 2011 with 16gb ram. Set up a fresh install and no lag, its running awesome. Way better than windows and my windows machine is a xeon core with 16gb ram and a gtx 670 4gb.
I suspect new machines don't run the best with dwarf fortress, but I could be wrong.

Currently running fine with 120 dwarves, roughly 123 animals, half of those animals are dogs, followed by cats then a mixture of your typical grazers. On 43.03. I think cat and dog might soon be on the menu!

doulos05

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2016, 03:47:49 am »

I personally think toady should do something about the fps drains in this game. Would make the game much more enjoyable.

That's the exact opposite of his ambitious goals for more details. It's unlikely that he'll change anything in that direction. Consider tree leaves, for example. Detail, and they are real so they should be there! But every square leaves has to be checked for fire, for animation/rendering, as an obstruction, etc, etc. See the pattern?

So sadly, as much as he wants to improve fps, hrs always going to have to choose between that and his sweeping vision.

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2016, 03:10:54 pm »

That's the exact opposite of his ambitious goals for more details. It's unlikely that he'll change anything in that direction. Consider tree leaves, for example. Detail, and they are real so they should be there! But every square leaves has to be checked for fire, for animation/rendering, as an obstruction, etc, etc. See the pattern?

So sadly, as much as he wants to improve fps, hrs always going to have to choose between that and his sweeping vision.

Yes, well I honestly dont think toady would care much about what I say about the game anyway. If he does though then just consider it. Fps death is really what ends most forts and its not fun. Infact its boring.

Kumquat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2016, 03:50:08 pm »

Easiest way to add to the intensity and longevity of the game would be to reduce the migrant waves by a factor of five or even ten. If you get migrants by one or two instead of hordes of ten or twenty at a time then you'll appreciate them a lot more, and you obviously don't get lagged from running a fort of 200 dorfs by year 3.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2016, 09:02:26 pm »

Hm, that's kinda similar to running generational fortresses of dead civs, though not as extreme.

I think there's dfhack script/command somewhere in this forum that can do that automatically.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2016, 09:18:49 pm »

It will be interesting to see if scenarios change the migration mechanics.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Geltor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2016, 04:32:42 am »

Play in a pocket world... I didn't realize this before but it really makes my forts sustainable at 200 with no fps impact (except for sieges and stuff)

twwolfe

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes ponies for their cuteness
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2016, 03:20:25 pm »

go back to one of the older versions for a bit, realize all your reflexes re wrong and watch your fort die horribly xD
There are dwarves that are nothing but useless sacrifices - Miners are not one of them.

Goatmaan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2016, 07:21:07 pm »

The longer I run Anvillocked, the more I suspect items being the main fps drain, animals second.
 Something is definitely wrong with blocks. The 2 ways I can crash are paving/flooring too many 10*10 areas with granite blocks. In z stocks, attempting to view the blocks is one scary lagfest, wich I now avoid like the plague. I have other items with much higher counts that don't lag a bit, but 34k built granite blocks and 12k stockpiled cause minutes of lag to display. But 77k drinks (and 40 types) doesn't even hiccup.
I still have a few aces up my sleeve, walling off uh "several" open z's, trading away metal bars, getting rid of excess clothes and other unneeded items, and finally resorting to LAA.

Goatmaan
My !!XXcpuXX!! *HATES* me.

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2016, 07:54:51 am »

The longer I run Anvillocked, the more I suspect items being the main fps drain, animals second.
 Something is definitely wrong with blocks. The 2 ways I can crash are paving/flooring too many 10*10 areas with granite blocks. In z stocks, attempting to view the blocks is one scary lagfest, wich I now avoid like the plague. I have other items with much higher counts that don't lag a bit, but 34k built granite blocks and 12k stockpiled cause minutes of lag to display. But 77k drinks (and 40 types) doesn't even hiccup.
I still have a few aces up my sleeve, walling off uh "several" open z's, trading away metal bars, getting rid of excess clothes and other unneeded items, and finally resorting to LAA.

Goatmaan

Well I know for a fact that items are the main fps drain when I play. Its just that I play my dwarf fortress like they were the usual dwarves. What I mean by that is that I almost always go for creating as much value and art as possible. That playstyle does not lend itself well to this game at all. Fps death is common after 5 years.

Also why do you sign your posts? We all know its you, all posts are named. Atleast put it in the signature or something. I just dont get it. Its not even signed by a written signature.
Pages: 1 [2] 3