Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Void Destroyer 2 - Space Sandbox - Coming Soon to Early Access  (Read 4054 times)

chaosavy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • 3D Space Sim/RTS Hybrid
Re: Void Destroyer 2 - Space Sandbox - Coming Soon to Early Access
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2016, 08:56:33 am »

"I checked the VD store page again and see that the images were replaced with real in game screen shots" -

There were never any "non-real" and "non-ingame screen shots" on the Steam store page, I never posted any concept art or any doctored screen shots.

"you gave them specific strategies to defeat difficult bosses. Right down to which ships to attack and how."

Should I have gave struggling players non specific strategies? I gave the strat I thought was best, but its certainly not the only strat. Should I have given not the best strat to a struggling player?

"You told people to read the tutorial. We all did the tutorial."

In the main game's menu there are tutorials, these are pretty extensive. There's also "keys guide" type tutorial when you start the mission/main game. So when I say play the tutorial - I mean click the button that says Tutorial when you first boot up the game.

To me, there is zero wrong with asking players to check out the tutorials.  Why else have them?

"I understand there is now an auto aim. Now THAT is arcady"

The first ship you start in has turrets, these auto track a target (if the ship has a target). That isn't arcade - that's how I imagine some space fighters would work (like an cobra hellicopter with a swivel mounted gun) - eg:

http://cdn.paper4pc.com/images/ah1w-super-cobra-attack-helicopter-military-weapon-aircraft-6-wallpaper-1.jpg

Either way - when locked on to a target, there is aim assist if the target is close enough to the cross hairs (again how I imagine space ships would function - except for giant spinal mounts).

This was always the case - not a "now" situation.

"When you start playing a new game and nothing is marked then how would we know to go looking in other screens to find stuff?"

There's big arrows pointing where to go, and text on the right hand side. Can it be missed? Sure, but its not hidden or in any other screen.

"Even the positive reviewers don't average more than 3 hours play times. (exlcuding that one guy who probably beta tested for you)."

None of the reviews are from Beta testers because there were no Beta testers.

There's two reviews from "Key Activations" (now Steam has an easy way to track this - showing you who activated via Steam key and who activated via purchase on Steam). 1 I know is a Kickstarter backer (Scotty) and the other I'm not sure about.

Are you telling me that you think I got "Beta" testers to not only buy the game but to give me a positive review? Damn I'm a horrible monster, but I sure get results.

Achievements showed up during Early Access, so 1/2 of total players never had them in their game. There's no first mission achievement, the first "mission" achievement relates to an optional killing of a ship (versus running away - either strategy works to keep the story going).

As a response to player's having issues with the difficulty I added options on reducing damage/etc.

"Getting burned is not fun, especially when the developer hides behind the indie excuse."

Could you show even a hint where I do this? I post/respond a ton on Steam forums so if its true than it shouldn't be hard.

Again it sounds like you are judging the game by what it isn't - why don't you play it for 2-3 hours and report back?

« Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 10:09:13 am by chaosavy »
Check out my indie 3D space sim/rts hybrid: Void Destroyer http://www.VoidDestroyer.com

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2016, 11:57:47 am »

When you start playing a new game and nothing is marked then how would we know to go looking in other screens to find stuff? A tutorial mission should cover everything.

Back in my day there were no tutorials, tooltips, or in-game help, and you either read the 60+ page manual or clicked things to see what they did.  :P
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Damiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2016, 12:55:20 pm »

Note that the 60+ page manual was written based on a vague description given from the lead (and possibly sole) dev, given to an intern over a poor phone connection, based on a super early alpha version of the game, and the screenshots in the manual look nothing like the real game itself...

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2016, 12:57:39 pm »

I remember hearing about the first one, neat to see a second is going on.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

chaosavy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2016, 01:12:03 pm »

Yeah! - and the adds were pure marketing/advertisement - no actual screen shots.

Sometimes the game boxes - had screen shots from different systems. For example I had the Commodore 64, but the game boxes showed graphics from the Amiga (much more powerful early days of PC - system). My grade school self was often disappointed - but I never lost my faith in video games :)

Anyway - the game's launched on Early Access :)

I put together a "Unofficial" trailer to help new players feel like I feel - when playing the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kPywqBQTrQ
Check out my indie 3D space sim/rts hybrid: Void Destroyer http://www.VoidDestroyer.com

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2016, 05:15:39 am »

I thought VD was neat and I look forward seeing what VD2 becomes.

Mattk50

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2016, 07:44:34 am »

The art in the trailer looks like it's from google sketchup. Stylizing things is a great way for indies to minimize art costs but i feel like i would get a headache playing this game too long... solid blue backgrounds are an interesting choice for space.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2016, 11:46:42 am »

I assumed it was some kind of holotank display overlay thing, not that the space was actually blue. Like this is a computer overlay you're looking at

se5a

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2016, 08:54:33 pm »

People like Trebz have never attempted a project this size.
UIX is *extremely* hard to get perfect, and the amount of work that massive corporations put into it makes games like this look worse than they actually are.
Expectations vs reality.

chaosavy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2016, 08:28:17 am »

I assumed it was some kind of holotank display overlay thing, not that the space was actually blue. Like this is a computer overlay you're looking at

Exactly - the player character sees the world this way - space is whatever color it wants to be, the way the player character sees it (and the world) is another story.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2016, 04:21:59 pm »

Tbh I was worried and was thinking about modding/replacing the backgrounds since I usually play at night (and bright stuff tends to annoy me easier than other people), but turns out you can change the backgrounds in space stations.

Game's pretty early for most people, but with enough balancing and features I think it can be fun. Started at the crappy starter ship and got a small group of ships going.
Once fleet/group control gets fleshed out, it'll be much better. If the game get some sort of dynamic factional warfare, it can be real good.
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Mattk50

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2016, 05:56:27 am »

Exactly - the player character sees the world this way - space is whatever color it wants to be, the way the player character sees it (and the world) is another story.

the explanation for the visuals doesnt really matter for me in this case, more that i think that shade of blue lighting my whole screen is bound to give me eyestrain alongside not being very visually appealing. There are art styles that look good but are hard to look at, and styles that are easy to look at but don't make the player go "wow". This takes the worst of both.

chaosavy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2016, 03:51:23 pm »

Tbh I was worried and was thinking about modding/replacing the backgrounds since I usually play at night (and bright stuff tends to annoy me easier than other people), but turns out you can change the backgrounds in space stations.

Mattk50 - like Gabeux wrote - you have choices in the backgrounds and more will be added.
Pages: 1 [2]