Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 26

Author Topic: Arms Race: Forenia vs. Sectoids (Seeking replacement GM)  (Read 32502 times)

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race: Forenia vs. Sectoids (First Half of 1941, Design)
« Reply #210 on: September 21, 2016, 10:30:30 am »

The Weserflug may be a useful base for another transport, but the Fa 223 was rather oversized for what it could do. Autogyros are kind of a dead-end technology.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #211 on: September 21, 2016, 10:32:33 am »

Let's oversize the Fa 223 even more. Let's combine the Fa 223 and Weserflug.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: September 21, 2016, 11:57:32 am »

They sort of already are.
Highly Opinionated Fool

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: September 21, 2016, 03:32:17 pm »

I believe that we have already locked in the design, so any discussion on revisions? (I recommend not formally posting any proposals as referencing a revision that predates the revision-stage post would be messy and crass.)

What about an upgraded A.P.C.? We could try to improve the suspension for off-roading and replace the engine with something more powerful, perhaps the engine from the UF-1931-HAFB? If we can get it up to 150ish off-road then it could be a pretty serious response vehicle for engagements in open terrain. I expect any of OUR citizens who go to the extra effort of living in inhospitable mountains or wild forests are going to greet alien life with a barbecue fork...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: September 21, 2016, 04:00:55 pm »

Classes are over.  Have an update.

Quote from: UF-LAOA-41 "Lookout"
The United Forenian Light Artillery Observation Aircraft model of 1941 is a two-seat intermeshing rotor helicopter of the complex synchropter layout powered by a pair of 125hp engines and constructed mainly of aluminum tubing.  If taking off from rocky or debris-ridden ground, debris kicked up can often strike the rotors in such a way that allows them to tangle and the craft to crash. The layout of the craft puts the pilot in the front (in an open cockpit), the engine and a radio set in the middle, and the observer in the rear, just prior to the tail. It was planned for there to mount a UF-1924 machinegun, but the additional weight caused the craft to be too unstable, becoming especially bad when the weapon was fired.  Pilots and Observers are instead issued a UF-SP30 with one reload each, in the case they survive the landing. The craft may be loaded for cargo, but only up to the weight of a single adult Forenian, and even then only if the observer is not in the craft.  The craft has a top speed of 80 kph with only a pilot, and 60 kph if there is also an observor or it holds a load.

Costs 3 Ore
New Technology: Synchropter [Complex]
Current Cost: Expensive

-Begin Revision Phase-
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
Re: Arms Race: Forenia vs. Sectoids (First Half of 1941, Revision)
« Reply #215 on: September 21, 2016, 04:25:58 pm »

I swear those fucking Moskurgs are sabotaging our work and don't understand that we're facing something bigger than petty rivalries... back in Arstotzka we would never make something so useless.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: September 21, 2016, 04:33:50 pm »

from the evil laugh, I expected worse.

so, we can chose between upgrading our nice but ultimately underpowered starter copter, or trying to get a ground vehicle up to speed.

our current APC manages 70 km/h on a good road, so the work to be done would be non trivial to reach the stated goal of 150 off road.

The motorcycle already goes 80 km/h offroad and 110 on a road, so it could be a better candidate for this kind of action.  The difference in protection for the rider could easily be offset by the reduced target size and better mobility. I am not sure we can keep the sidecar on those speeds, but even if we have to drop it those bikes are quite inexpensive. They could stay inexpensive even if we upgrade the engine to be more powerful. ( it still lacks turbocharger, fuel injection and we can probably add to the size).

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #217 on: September 21, 2016, 04:42:21 pm »

our current APC manages 70 km/h on a good road, so the work to be done would be non trivial to reach the stated goal of 150 off road.
What.
The.
Fuck?

150km/h off-road? IS THERE EVEN A THING IN EXISTENCE THAT DOES THAT SPEED NOWADAYS? Not to mention that the idea of going that fast off-road is suicidal anyways.
We could try to go for fast motorcycle cavalry that attacks the UFOs that are on ground. Optimally it would be a squadron of airlifted (get dat mountain UFOs) motorcycle cavalrymen equipped with explosives to fuck up the UFOs day. Huge feathery wings optional.
Yeah that's stupid too.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: September 21, 2016, 04:56:26 pm »

Well, yes. 150 km/h offroad is crazy. But that is what RAM proposed.

Our motorcycle has a good chance of getting above 100 km/h offroad, since it already does 80 and it is an old design . 150 km/h offroad may be doable from a mechanical point of view, but I am not entirely sure the biological component is able to handle those speeds ( not just all the shaking, but also reaction times. roads are flat and featureless, making it easy to navigate at speed. open fields, not so much). anyone has any info on offroad motorbike races?

Of the 2, I am more confident on helicopter improvements. But I don't think we are getting it to be faster than the motorbike and make it carry more load.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: September 21, 2016, 05:10:12 pm »

What about upgrading our Bumblebee AT/AA 92mm anti air gun to fire with a primer ignition to increase it's rate of fire, change the ammo to be armor piercing and improve it's tracking ability.  Right now they fire at 15 per minute, if we could get that up to 1/second we could fill the air with high velocity rounds.

Making it even complex would keep it common so we could station as many of them around important government faculties , cities and infrastructure as needed to prevent alien raids.  It is defensive, but could shoot down an enemy if they attacked directly.

It also gives us experience in creating a large caliber autocannon which we could eventually equip to a heavier attack aircraft.

KiwiOui

• Bay Watcher
  • Genetic monstrosity of unknown origin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: September 21, 2016, 05:23:06 pm »

What about upgrading our Bumblebee AT/AA 92mm anti air gun to fire with a primer ignition to increase it's rate of fire, change the ammo to be armor piercing and improve it's tracking ability.  Right now they fire at 15 per minute, if we could get that up to 1/second we could fill the air with high velocity rounds.
I like this idea, but I'm not entirely sure about going for "Field of Lead" tactics with AP rounds. The idea, however, is wholly Forenian.
Kiwis- Odd man out of both the animal and plant kingdoms.
Didn't we get the pilot? Can't we scan his brain?
If we did, +1, but I think they either got scrambled by the tractor beam or got blown out into space.
This is a normal discussion, folks.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: September 21, 2016, 05:30:40 pm »

UF-LAOA-41a "Assault"
Remove the observer position and two set, and shift the engine and pilot back. In front of the pilot, install a UF-AC18 autocannon on a semi fixed front facing. The gun can be shifted about 10 degrees in any given direction to ease aiming. A small gun shield is also installed to give the pilot some cover.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: September 21, 2016, 06:12:33 pm »

We still have cargo attachment points, we can rig those for an autocannon. As it is the engines should be right underneath the props, shifting them back increases weight of the driveshaft.

Instead, lets work on reducing complexity of the props and increasing their power, and provide fold-down seating for a few ride-alongs.
Highly Opinionated Fool

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: September 21, 2016, 09:24:56 pm »

Obviously some holes will need to be cut to make space for a larger engine and transmission, but all these tweaks should be pretty simple and get a massive increase in speed. Putting it all in a revision is a little ambitious, so if there are obvious holes in the surface panelling and armour so the thing may be hideous to look at and rpone to getting penetrated by stray shots, but the main idea is to get heavy ordnance to the field quickly, and this plan involves putting known technology into an established design that has the potential for a massive upgrade if we can just get an oversized engine to play nice. With this revision we will be Madmaxing our way over E.T.'s face in no time!
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: September 21, 2016, 10:39:02 pm »

Obviously some holes will need to be cut to make space for a larger engine and transmission, but all these tweaks should be pretty simple and get a massive increase in speed. Putting it all in a revision is a little ambitious, so if there are obvious holes in the surface panelling and armour so the thing may be hideous to look at and rpone to getting penetrated by stray shots, but the main idea is to get heavy ordnance to the field quickly, and this plan involves putting known technology into an established design that has the potential for a massive upgrade if we can just get an oversized engine to play nice. With this revision we will be Madmaxing our way over E.T.'s face in no time!

Yeah, Ill support this.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 26