Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 26

Author Topic: Arms Race: Forenia vs. Sectoids (Seeking replacement GM)  (Read 32492 times)

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race: Forenia vs. Sectoids (First Half of 1941, Design)
« Reply #180 on: September 20, 2016, 04:03:25 am »

you know, if we could air transport vehicles, we could sidestep the entire problem of being shot down by simply landing 15 km away and doing the rest of the ground. Our APCs and motorcycles are fast enough to cover the distance in not too much time.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: September 20, 2016, 04:10:16 am »

So its looking like develop helicopters that could carry troops, then develop ones that can carry vehicles? The first one will probably be able to lift a motorcycle or two(if it workds even slightly less well than designed), but I wouldent want to try slung loads for anything much larger with anything that small.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: September 20, 2016, 04:20:50 am »

indeed, indeed. But a slung motorcycle could already achieve much. an 80 km/h motorcycle running across the battlefields throwing RPG rounds around is bound to keep them busy somewhat. send 4 or 5 of these, with a mix of weapons ( didn't we have versions with machineguns?) and we might even have a fighting chance.

But we will need to develope proper transport helicopters at some point in the near future.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: September 20, 2016, 04:28:36 am »

They can all come with a sidecart, which has provisions for mounting a LMG.

Depending on how we design the heavy lift copter, we could throw some form of passenger module in. Something like the Sikorsky CH-54 Tarhe, though probably a tad smaller.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2016, 04:32:50 am by Aseaheru »
Highly Opinionated Fool

3_14159

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: September 20, 2016, 04:36:53 am »

Hmpf; that's what I get for posting and not reading new posts.

From Zanzetkuken's post, it seems as if we have two issues:
a) The UFO kills all nearby threats before landing (or at least those it can detect)
b) Should the UFO be threatened by ground troops, it will take off.

This implies we have to find a way to physically keep it from taking off (or shoot it down before that). One idea would be to deploy several Bumblebees to the area and hope it's easier to shoot down when starting; or use the SAMs for the same. An alternative is to deploy artillery closeby, then fire while the UFO is on the ground.
In total, my vote is still for the helicopter in the hopes of getting a system to quickly deploy (from cover) our forces.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: September 20, 2016, 04:44:58 am »

Hey, Zan, we have any tests of their alloys against our current weaponry?

Whatever works can probably be airlifted in like a motorcycle. Or, hell, bolted onto the underside of a heli and used that way.
Highly Opinionated Fool

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: September 20, 2016, 04:58:36 am »

all we need to prevent them from taking of, is setting fire to the door. Lets see how they getback to the craft then ! :P

But really, which of our weapons can penetrate or at least damage the alloys? I suppose our autocannons are among the best AP things we have and we can mount those on copters. Then perhaps the explosives?

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: September 20, 2016, 06:47:22 am »

I don't think helps with auto cannons is going to be effective, since all other aircraft is being wiped out I doubt the helis see going to be much better. Mainly cuz they're going to start targeting them on the ground if they are effective. Maybe we could design a SPAA or revise the T2 breaker or the Tigger truck into a SPAA.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: September 20, 2016, 07:00:44 am »

Well, the main way they are able to shoot down our aircraft is when they can see them. Helicopters have the rather nice ability to fly at low altitudes, below tree level. Sneak up on a landed craft like that, suppress it with a gunship or two while the infantry tries to get in...

We should also have the option of mounting autocannon on tripods, which can be brought along.

SPAA is something we will need, and actually had been worked on by Arstotzka, with their trucks having ring mounts and work started on modular loadbeds for things like arty and groups of autocannon.

I would probably revise the UF-T33 over the T2, since the T33 is faster, better armored and has a radio for free for only one ore and one oil extra.
Highly Opinionated Fool

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: September 20, 2016, 07:40:26 am »

I see a small issue mainly in that is the area is clear enough for a helo to fly below tree level they're still going to see it.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: September 20, 2016, 08:17:44 am »

Not when they are landed, and have stuff between them and us.
Highly Opinionated Fool

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: September 20, 2016, 04:48:33 pm »

Hmpf; that's what I get for posting and not reading new posts.

From Zanzetkuken's post, it seems as if we have two issues:
a) The UFO kills all nearby threats before landing (or at least those it can detect)
b) Should the UFO be threatened by ground troops, it will take off.

This implies we have to find a way to physically keep it from taking off (or shoot it down before that). One idea would be to deploy several Bumblebees to the area and hope it's easier to shoot down when starting; or use the SAMs for the same. An alternative is to deploy artillery closeby, then fire while the UFO is on the ground.
In total, my vote is still for the helicopter in the hopes of getting a system to quickly deploy (from cover) our forces.
I agree absolutely with the problem. I do not see the helicopter doing anything because the enemy can just leave whenever they want to. At best I see helicopters getting us a few corpses who were slow getting back to their ship, but I can't imagine a single-thing crew being that reckless. Helicopters are not exactly quiet and it takes a while to get the things aligned, also, they are slow, so they are not exactly going to be deployed right at the edge of 15 kilometres when the thing lands...

I worry about getting the bumbles to the area and their ability to actually it the target enough to down it. I wouldn't know the penetration on their artillery but a glancing shot is not going to do much and the bogeys are going to be quite the nippy little brats.
The S.A.M.s seem too localised for their guidance systems. You pretty much need the enemy to fly over the S.A.M. site and then fly over the observation.control post and you also need the missiles to be as fast as the aliens, which, well, 2400 kilometres is a lot for people who have yet to break 400... IF the enemy lands within view of a control post then the S.A.M.s ought to do a marvellous job of hitting the craft while it is on the ground and thus crippling(and reducing it to a field of debris no piece larger than a coin, but baby steps...) it. But can we really expect them to land within view of a control station without destroying it first? Mobile control stations may work, somehow, but that is a tall order.
Artillery seems like a sound plan, but spotting is going to be a pain. IF the artillery hits then yes, it ought to make a dent(Though 320mm howitzers would be a joy for this work, airburst if you want to see their crew...) but hitting the small ships that we are seeing now would be difficult, and waiting for larger vessels is not a good plan.
My missile plan has, say, a couple dozen launched from the air at, say, 20 kilometres, and then steer themselves in against a landed target at high speed. They take fire for less than a minute, and are still a threat even if they take a hit because kinetic energy doesn't just vanish, and if even one of them makes a solid strike you get a half-ton of rocket and rocket fuel hitting the target, at which point the artillery shell in its nose goes off and punches a bunch of excited metal wedges through the armour to go find something to play with. Oh, certainly, I am willing to entertain that it may be difficult to get more than a few scraps of exotic material from the wreckage, but if the target still feels like flying after that then I fear we may be in more trouble than we first thought...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: September 20, 2016, 05:04:14 pm »

I will not, no matter the tactical soundness of the idea or the possible benefits, vote for a suicide craft this early in the war.
Our men might die fighting, but I am not going to order them to throw their lives like that, unless the situations gets truly desperate.

edit: do you think we could train monkeys to pilot our suicide rockets? moskurg can pilot well enough and they aren't that different.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2016, 05:40:01 pm by andrea »

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: September 20, 2016, 05:49:31 pm »

Pigeons would be better. They take up less space.
Highly Opinionated Fool

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 26