Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 26

Author Topic: Arms Race: Forenia vs. Sectoids (Seeking replacement GM)  (Read 32416 times)

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
Arms Race: Forenia vs. Sectoids (Seeking replacement GM)
« on: September 14, 2016, 02:06:21 am »

It is the early half of the 1940's.  The Germans have taken control of Poland in the prior year and are begining their assault upon France, utilizing rifles based off of the AS-AR34 design.  While there are a minor difficulties when they are fighting against British Tanks descended from hybrids with the T2 Breaker design, the assault rifles are allowing engagements to favor the Germans.  As the first half of the year draws to a close, both Spain and Italy, armed with similar rifles to the Germans, are making forays into the southern portions of Antegria, drawing forces away from the German lines.

In the east, fighting in China takes a distinctive turn against the Japanese.  Aided by old M3 Sorraias and AS-1911 mortars, the chinese make powerful strategic blows against the Japanese armies.  There are rumors of Soviet tanks long descended from the AS-T15 being involved in the fighting in areas of Chinese Communist control, but there have been no reports with hard evidence provided.  Tropico has broken out into another civil war, and both Forenia and Turbados are in the begining stages of making hostile movements against each other over a set of islands that lie between them.

However, before this goes too far, the Supreme Command of Forenia change their stance to come to an agreement on the islands.  A convienient insurrection has Turbados decide to come to the diplomatic table and an agreement is hashed out between the two countries.  This brings forth no small measure of protest from the populace of both nations, both wanting a good war, but while Turbados was brought around by concerns of stability.  While an official declaration of having to deal with an insurrection would come, Forenia did not apparently have any at the time.

Unknown to the rest of the world, a small time mining company created in the wake of the Great Forenian War had discovered a strange site in their mining operations.  The Department of Mining, Department of Intelligence, Department of Defense, Department of Offense, and Department of Engineers all moved in to secure the site to determine what exactly it was, ensuring the silence of the various members of the mining company.  Around this time, the Department of Stars and the Department of Space Flight detected the AS-SS1935X going behind the moon on its orbital path, but not coming back around.  At the time, it was believed it had been struck by a meteorite and crashed into the moon.  With the last remnants of Arstotzka lost, there was either mourning or celebration, depending upon which side of the continent the person was from.

Once the Department of Mining, Department of Intelligence, Department of Defense, Department of Offense, and Department of Engineers managed to crack the strange structure, they had found it empty, the walls formed of strange alloys.  It was then the first reports of abductions started to come in.  At first the former Arstotzkans and Moskurgians blamed the rebel groups.  Then each other.  Then, upon the anniversary of the end of the war when foreigners left to get away from the celebrations, it was discovered the real source were extraterrestrials, and the weapons pointed to the sky.  The Forenians silently agree to remain tight lipped on the subject and decided to disguise their expense for the war to come on fighting the rebels.  Why, some may ask?  To keep all the glory for themselves, of course...

Yep.  Forenia vs. the Sectoids.  I wanted to see how people would do things with Forenia going up against a superior foe, and asked in the Arms Race Hub whether people would like to see them deal with the aliens of the original X-Com or go up against the Stargate Universe.  Xcom got the vote, so here we are.

This game will be in Suggestion Game format rather than competitive.  The sectoid side will only be using the technology they have in the game until Forenia begins to push up onto their level of technology and every alien troop has been revealed.

It may be asked how I am going to change up the basic game this time around.  There will be two phases added to the design/revision count.  One will be a phase where a piece of alien tech is selected to be reverse engineered so a new tech may be developed for future use.  You won't get the full design explained, but a single component of how it works to be utilized on the next turn.  The second new phase is wherein people select from a group of actions to determine what Forenia does to affect the second World War and the relevant portions of the Cold War, through Arms Deals or other means.

Got all that?  Here's the stat sheet of Forenia:

United Forenia

Personal Equipment
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Land Vehicles

Aircraft

Artillery

Navy

Wonder Weapons

Available Tech

Resource Income
(Lower due to not being at Wartime Production and effectivety being reduced due to needing to supply a larger army.)
4 Ore
3 Oil

Consider the Design phase as started and tell me if there are any questions.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2016, 09:43:33 pm by Zanzetkuken The Great »
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race: Forenia vs. Sectoids (Second Half of 1940, Design)
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2016, 02:06:49 am »

[Reserved, as I don't trust the above to have much more room]
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2016, 05:05:56 am »

Well I guess it is time to get a decent airforce.

Is it too soon to resort to suicide-rockets? A combination of patriotic fanaticism and a generous compensation system for the next of kin ought to get us some decent missile guidance and we already have ourselves some beginner-level rocketry and gyroscopic stabilisation...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2016, 05:48:02 am »

Its too soon for suicide craft.

After getting decent fighters I think we need to work on standardizing ammunition types, along with getting our infantry some form of grenade launcher. For bonus points, the grenade launcher should be able to act as a giant shotgun.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2016, 06:19:51 am »

If we're going X-COM, we should get helicopters or gliders for quick injection of troops. I don't mind suicide rockets myself. Arstotrka can provide the rockets, and Moksburg the pilots.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2016, 06:23:29 am »

Ooh, yes, helicopters... Let me throw some designs together...

We should get to work on turboshaft engines, for easier helicopters and better prop aircraft.
Highly Opinionated Fool

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2016, 07:01:29 am »

Sorry for the double post.

Spoiler: UF-GLu-40 "Thumper" (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: UF-LAOA-40 "Lookout" (click to show/hide)

Thats another thing, we need to get better radios soon, along with radar, sonar, and some form of radio navigation.
Highly Opinionated Fool

S34N1C

• Bay Watcher
  • Joins too many games
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2016, 08:09:50 am »

PTW for now. Do we just suggest things we think should be put in or is this a limited party kind of thing?
As always, life is brief and transient, your posting history lasts forever, so always prioritise forum games.

Glory to United Forenia!

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2016, 08:43:34 am »

Anyone can join it, unlike the other arms race games there arent two factions players can be on.

Yo, Zan, do we have one revision and one design still or has that been changed slightly now that its all one country?
Highly Opinionated Fool

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2016, 11:36:08 am »

Anyone can join it, unlike the other arms race games there arent two factions players can be on.

Yo, Zan, do we have one revision and one design still or has that been changed slightly now that its all one country?

It will be staying at 1 Design and 1 Revision per turn, but I am having there be two turns per year.  Results in you getting a net of 2 Designs and 2 Revisions per turn, but with an ability to get more information and spend more time being able to affect World War II.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2016, 01:28:04 pm »

Fair enough.
Highly Opinionated Fool

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2016, 02:15:43 pm »

Looked up some aircraft and gave the current craft some concrete numbers that seemed somewhat decent for them.  You could reasonably say they could be a bit higher, but it really doesn't matter too much.  The alien craft are pretty fast.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2016, 02:43:40 pm »

The last remains of Arstotzka have been destroyed! the nation calls revenge!
I am in!

Well, lets assess our situation and needs.

We have an unknown enemy in our skies, which so far evaded detection. Our war machines are great, our soldiers are brave, but we don't know where to go, while our citizens (I wouldn't dare call anyone a civilian in this island) get abducted under our nose. We managed to crack one of their things and perhaps we can do it again, in the skies, but first we need to see them.

To that purpose, I think we should focus on some kind of long range atmospheric detection system, perhaps using radio waves,  and better radio communications among our soldiers. This way, we will be able to track them and, should the detection system fail, better communications will allow a rapid response.

I have seen some of you talk about helicopters for a rapid response, but the sad truth is that we can't yet to repond to anything, simply because we don't see them. For now, ground intervation can be guaranteed by parachuting groups scattered across the country, which should be able to deliver soldiers faster than any early helicopter anyway.

I'll be back soon with some design proposals, but feel free to discuss.

( by the way, if much of the old teams comes, I fully expect endless bickering starting. we forenians are hot blooded, even when we have common enemies.)

edit: I have returned with those projects of mine!

Spoiler: UF-Model 1940/2 radio (click to show/hide)

The radio I'll admit is perhaps not such a fantastic idea, but I do insist on the RDF as our first and foremost priority.

Also, we should immediately get as many planes patrolling the skies as possible, both yellowjackets and UF-HF-32. The first for its speed and overall firepower, the second for its endurance( thanks to auxiliary fuel tanks) and heavier weapons such as the autocannon ( the enemy might, in this case, be armored)

[to zanz: what is that part in the OP about Forenia going against a superior foe? there is no superior foe, in this or other world]
« Last Edit: September 15, 2016, 03:34:11 am by andrea »

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2016, 04:01:20 pm »

The radio should be a revision.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 26