Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 167 168 [169] 170 171 ... 561

Author Topic: Fan art competition! *Moving sound*  (Read 1459253 times)

Bloogonis

• Bay Watcher
  • Steamyworks
    • View Profile
Re: Fan art competition!
« Reply #2520 on: December 04, 2009, 10:55:08 am »

Not realy, due to the [stout] nature of dwarves, even though taller a Dwalf would be and appear shorter due toe its proportions and broadness. that being said, in a physical (sexual) relationship, the Dwaven partner would have to take special care not to accidentally break his/her elven partner. That coupled with the differentiating manner of reproduction (Spores vs pollon) I find it highly improbable that a hybrid could form.The most likely creation of such an abomination would be ta a) Apply science, rigorously or, b) Magicks of the foulest variety.

This coupled with the penchant for elves to take on aspects of the Civ they live with, as well as the dominant genetic trait of [stout] (Beards are recessive traits) I would believe the average Dwalf would look like a sickly beardless(or thinly bearded) dwarf. of course as a rule, there are exceptions to every rule, so the ocurance of a Dwalf such as Deons, could be possible.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #2521 on: December 04, 2009, 11:49:26 am »

I thought that [STOUT] of dwarves plus [NARROW] of elves would result in a human-like constitution.

P.S. Also for a beard: even if it grows very slow, the increased lifespan would allow it to be pretty thick.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Fault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2522 on: December 04, 2009, 07:05:26 pm »

no, goblins are [NARROW], elves are [LARGE], apparently.

also here's a troll:

HAMMERMILL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2523 on: December 04, 2009, 07:17:06 pm »

That troll looks all sleek and agile. I imagined them as big hulking bastards that can easily kick down thick stone doors and that sort of thing.

That troll looks a bit fragile.

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2524 on: December 04, 2009, 07:26:41 pm »

I still see trolls in the FF1 way;
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Only in my mind their hair hangs in their face, so all you can see is darkness with two glowing yellow eyes.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2525 on: December 04, 2009, 07:42:53 pm »

The elven farming talk is interesting, but get me suspicious about where people are getting the info from...

I pulled it out of my ass. It could be contradicted at any time if Toady fleshes it out more, but right now all we truly know is that rope reed is a reed that's good for making ropes and Sun Berries make a great beer. But come on, use your ASCIImagination!
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Mr_Ham97

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2526 on: December 04, 2009, 08:39:41 pm »

The dwarf/elf hybrid looks like a heavily bearded vulcan, although I don't think the vulcans even have facial hair. Not even Spock, himself half elf Vulcan, doesn't show any signs of facial hair.

Yes, it is an alternate universe version, but he still has a goatee.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2527 on: December 04, 2009, 08:47:21 pm »

Be careful about your assumptions- in another universe, Elves could tear across the land with their feared artillery pieces and bear riders, and live in grand wooden forts in the deepest forests and highest mountains, trading their exquisite textiles and notoriously strong, finely brewed Sunshine and wines. While Dwarves cower in caves, to which they wouldn't lay a scratch for their lives, protesting the damage the Elves make when they dig to the earth for gems and metals- but they never win a fight, because they mostly throw rocks and everyone knows they have a weak consitution.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!

Stove

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2528 on: December 04, 2009, 10:48:34 pm »

I left this on a chalkboard in one of the classrooms in the Business department at my university.
I don't know what it is, but it's obviously Dwarf Fortress-inspired. And probably City of Saints and Madmen-inspired, too.

Kishmond

• Bay Watcher
  • What the pfargtl?
    • View Profile
    • My DF Stories blog.
« Reply #2529 on: December 04, 2009, 11:33:28 pm »

I love leaving stuff on chalkboards.
Oh, good picture too.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2530 on: December 05, 2009, 12:20:05 am »

The dwarf/elf hybrid looks like a heavily bearded vulcan, although I don't think the vulcans even have facial hair. Not even Spock, himself half elf Vulcan, doesn't show any signs of facial hair.

Yes, it is an alternate universe version, but he still has a goatee.

Didn't remember that episode, heh. Also, lol Sensei.

Fault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2531 on: December 05, 2009, 02:24:22 am »

Be careful about your assumptions- in another universe, Elves could tear across the land with their feared artillery pieces and bear riders, and live in grand wooden forts in the deepest forests and highest mountains, trading their exquisite textiles and notoriously strong, finely brewed Sunshine and wines. While Dwarves cower in caves, to which they wouldn't lay a scratch for their lives, protesting the damage the Elves make when they dig to the earth for gems and metals- but they never win a fight, because they mostly throw rocks and everyone knows they have a weak consitution.

mother of god...

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2532 on: December 05, 2009, 02:30:27 am »

What? Just sayin'.

Also, that mushroodwarfapus is CREEPY.

Foa

• Bay Watcher
  • And I thought foxfire was stylish in winter.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2533 on: December 05, 2009, 02:34:11 am »

mother of god...
Hey my sig says that the elves will be armed with animals of every-kind ( expect carp skirmishers ) .
But the wooden fort has to be a huge ass tree, or huge ass trees that are growing into eachother/melding together.

The elves have their fancy drinks, but dwarves have aqua vitae ( spirits of alcohol ) , heh, double brewed alcohol concentrate!

Dwarfu

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Advisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2534 on: December 05, 2009, 02:45:35 am »

also here's a troll:

I try to get away from the 'monster' aspect of trolls, especially the whole D&D must-burn-them-with-fire-to-kill-them mantra.  Monster in the sense that they are some kind of hellspawn - I see them more as hated because they are considered a nuisance, tricky, untrustworthy, a subrace.

I consider trolls a minor giant, humanoid, but not just a giant ugly human.  They have a minor culture with their own language, but nothing civilized to the point of empires/leaders/etc.  I picture them more like gypsies, with bastardized leathers and clothes, cheap baubles, simple weapons, and either living here and there in whatever shelter they can find, or on the roam.  John Bauer's pics (though a bit too Disney-esque for my taste) are more of what I make them like in my worlds.

In my worlds, giants are a class that not only includes 'giants' as very large human-like creatures, but also ettins and cyclopes as subclasses.  It also includes trolls, as a smaller giant, more of the likes of a dwarf/gnome.  Then there are the truly bad (not just maligned), ogres, which as a smaller giant, tend to be more of the likes of a goblin.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 167 168 [169] 170 171 ... 561