Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Dwarven Suites  (Read 4410 times)

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Suites
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2016, 08:42:43 pm »

I think the quality bonus you're thinking of is the smoothing bonus, not engraving bonus.

Anyway, proof?

north part of corridor, 1x1 separated by 1 tile thick walls. Smooth and engrave every second one first, then the others.

south part of corridor, 1x1 separated by 2 tile thick walls. Smooth and engrave.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2016, 08:44:15 pm by Fleeting Frames »

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2016, 09:23:12 pm »

My favoured layout (given my propensity to set up 'blocks'  of rooms within shift-cursor-sized squares) is as follows (here including one tile-width of the often 3-wide surrounding corridor)...
Code: [Select]
.#############.
.#1+B+1#1+S+1#.
.#+++++#+++++#.
.#2+3+2#2+3+2#. Bedroom | Personal tomb
.#+++++#+++++#.
.#1+++1#1+++1#.
.###D#####D###.
.#1+++1#1+++1#.
.#+++++#+++++#.  Dining Room | Office
.D+++++D++++2#.   *or* (for Office-heavy nobles)
.#++T++#++T++#.  Office | Dining Room
.#1+C+1#1+C+1#.
.#############.
Letters: Bed, Sarcofagus/coffin, Table, Chair/throne, Door
Numbers: 1/2/3 = primary/secondary/tertiary locations in each room for chests/coffers, racks, stands, wardrobes, etc, (as required by each stage of noble neediness, distributed to buff the room-type that is currently least satisfactory, but I do like to flank the office chair with armour stand and weapon rack, whilst putting storage furniture in their bedroom and decorating the tomb with the second/third required furniture items if I don't need them elsewhere for need-fulfillment)
Other: # = wall (often ends up smoothed/block-reconstructed), + = floor (ditto, within suite-footprint), . floor (external to suite, rarely smoothed)...

The logic of layout is that dining experience is often the most frequent requirement (except for bookkeeper/manager/liason-meeting dwarf, where office may be more apt to be next to the suite's entryway), the tomb only ever gets admired, until and unless its ultimate purpose is fulfilled, and the doors probably locked up. Bedroom is 'two rooms in', as a compromise, but also gives two layers of lockable-door defensiveness (where that helps) for when a dwarf is most vulnerable... (Ignoring vampirical issues, naturally.)

Obviously this scales up or down, but this size works for me. But larger area, or across Z-levels, to house specific 'personal stockpiles', statue gardens, even (for a working noble) their own workshop-room. I might make secondary entrances for those needing extra access, or branch off of the main doorway differently/additionally.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2016, 09:41:22 pm by Starver »

Huge Lord

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2016, 01:36:16 am »

I haven't researched the subject but I've heard you get a room value penalty if the room overlaps another room or doesn't have walls - would rooms valued differently be explained by some of them not having their "own" walls if the walls between rooms are 1 tile thick?

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2016, 01:53:43 am »

1) The room overlap penalty is applied *0,25 to all rooms that overlap.

2) Just look at room values pre-engraving, they're the same.

3) If that were the reason for quality drop, you could boost room values by freeing up adjacent bedrooms.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2016, 02:07:52 am by Fleeting Frames »

Montieth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2016, 03:59:54 pm »

To answer the OP,

I build as a matter of course, special craftsman quarters near the areas they'll be working to minimize time they'll be walking to/from their quarters to their main workspace.

For example, I have the highest ranking Armorer(s) and Weapon-smith(s) have a set of quarters that are a 8x8 living/dining room and 8x8 bedroom that are just off of the main forge area. Usually with a side corridor for added windows from the bedroom and to provide added spaces for the lower skilled forge staff.

So, my forges usually have 1-2 armorer quarters and 1-2 weapon-smith quarters (usually the master and an understudy) along with 4-5 quarters for the furnace operators and other such folks. 

I generally locate some quarters near the carpenters and masons workshops, the clothing manufactures, the farms, and the glass works. Building up or down from the layer also allows you to tuck some bedrooms between some of the storage rooms that need to be proximate to the various key workshops.

The Miners, especially the first founding 2, start out with nice rooms that get upgrades as time goes on. They start out large to boot and are usually put near the deep mines or someplace special depending on terrain.

If you can get burrows to work, having their quarters in the burrows helps some, but I find burrows more trouble than they're worth what with the cancellation spam it causes.

*“Under the Mountain dark and tall The King has come unto his hall! His foe is dead, the Worm of Dread, And ever so his foes shall fall.
*The sword is sharp, the spear is long, The arrow swift, the Gate is strong; The heart is bold that looks on gold; The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.
*The dwarves of yore made mighty spells, While hammers fells like ringing bells In places deep, where dark things sleep, In hollow halls beneath the fells.
-from The Hobbit (Dwarves Battle Song)”

MobRules

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2016, 06:54:57 am »

To answer the OP,

I build as a matter of course, special craftsman quarters near the areas they'll be working to minimize time they'll be walking to/from their quarters to their main workspace.

For example, I have the highest ranking Armorer(s) and Weapon-smith(s) have a set of quarters that are a 8x8 living/dining room and 8x8 bedroom that are just off of the main forge area. Usually with a side corridor for added windows from the bedroom and to provide added spaces for the lower skilled forge staff.

So, my forges usually have 1-2 armorer quarters and 1-2 weapon-smith quarters (usually the master and an understudy) along with 4-5 quarters for the furnace operators and other such folks. 

I generally locate some quarters near the carpenters and masons workshops, the clothing manufactures, the farms, and the glass works. Building up or down from the layer also allows you to tuck some bedrooms between some of the storage rooms that need to be proximate to the various key workshops.

The Miners, especially the first founding 2, start out with nice rooms that get upgrades as time goes on. They start out large to boot and are usually put near the deep mines or someplace special depending on terrain.

If you can get burrows to work, having their quarters in the burrows helps some, but I find burrows more trouble than they're worth what with the cancellation spam it causes.

I've tried a few times to have several different "residential areas" based on profession. But married couples always mess it up, so it seems futile :/.
Ninja dragons! Protect the masterwork roasts!
Is this biome reanimating? I really don't want to know what happens when "absurd numbers of megabeasts" is combined with "reanimating biomes".

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2016, 07:15:00 am »

Hm. I haven't watched my dwarves in their sleep much. What happens in that case?

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2016, 11:46:11 am »

For married dwarfs, the husband's room (claimed or assigned) will list the wife's name under the owner also.

The wife who previously claimed a room prior to marriage will still own her room but not include the husband (I don't think so last I checked).

Slogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2016, 12:13:33 pm »

I haven't researched the subject but I've heard you get a room value penalty if the room overlaps another room or doesn't have walls - would rooms valued differently be explained by some of them not having their "own" walls if the walls between rooms are 1 tile thick?

The overlapping room penalty can be verified through the Rooms menu. Overlapping rooms will appear Red in the room list. Sharing a wall does not constitute overlapping.

(For what it's worth along this line doors don't contribute to room value unless they are internal to the room. I always build my rooms with the entry being from stairs because the stairs & floor hatch you can put on it will count towards the room's value. Plus I just like that style of design).

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2016, 03:01:56 pm »

Plus forbidden floor hatches are less accessible from beneath.

@Sanctume: I mean, will they not sleep in same bed or what?

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2016, 04:10:58 pm »

I've seen couples with kids in the same bed unless kids claimed a bed that is available.

Pirate Santa

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_EATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2016, 06:19:42 pm »

Nicest home I've ever given a dwarf would be the mayoral mansion I just finished constructing in my small surface village.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
1st Floor: Bedroom and balcony with wall grate railings, don't want any accidents! Still installing furniture, and I'd like to install a private statue garden on the balcony.

Ground Floor: Dining room, office, and fenced in front garden. Also features a mini moat (I'm trying to make canals a thing) and easy access to the river for fishing.

Cellar: Not certain what purpose I'll put this space towards yet, possibly a private wine cellar.

I really must know... what tileset is this? That grass looks delicious... and does it work without dfhack?
Behold the beauty of Gemset
Intended to combine the ease of use of tilesets with the clarity of ASCII.

Unfortunately due to the way it pushes TWBT overrides to its current limits (workshop graphics are waiting on an update to TWBT to be able to make 3x3 images) it only works if you've got DfHack and TWBT going.
I'm running this fort on 43.03
Welcome to Dwarf Fortress. Where peaceful death of old age is something nobody sees coming.
it turns out Dog Bone Doctors aren't very good at doctoring.

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2016, 08:18:46 pm »

I think the quality bonus you're thinking of is the smoothing bonus, not engraving bonus.

Anyway, proof?

north part of corridor, 1x1 separated by 1 tile thick walls. Smooth and engrave every second one first, then the others.

south part of corridor, 1x1 separated by 2 tile thick walls. Smooth and engrave.

The wiki says engraving improves the value "further" and "gives them a quality level."  I think I've seen the titles of the rooms improve with engraving, too, but I guess I'll check more carefully next time I do it to see the before and after.

Okay, so this jerk I never even heard of somehow gets elected mayor so I guess that's my opportunity to test this.

Done.

Here's plain old rooms.

The only special thing is the table is made out of silver.  I started making everything out of silver because I have mountains of this stuff.

And here's what the room looks like in the nobles menu.

It's not much of a room.

Let's smooth it.

It's looking pretty nice now.

But let's engrave it.

Here's after engraving.

I think it's pretty obvious that engraving vastly improves the value of rooms.

Also there were some masterpieces during the process.

I don't think I'm going out on a limb when I say those masterpieces vastly improved the value of the rooms in question.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2016, 02:42:21 pm by muldrake »

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2016, 02:57:40 pm »

Engravings affect both sides, but have more of an effect on the side they were engraved from.

I'm actually really interested if anyone has actually checked this.

(I'm also glad that I've apparently graduated from being an "Escaped Lunatic" although that is still a more accurate description of what I am.)

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2016, 04:22:50 pm »

Yeah, muldrake, of course engraving increase the value of a room it's done inside of. What we're speaking of is this:

#D#D#D#
#1# 3# 2#
#######

Use doors to lock engraver in and start from far corner, then smooth 1 -  then 2 - then 3. Rooms have same value.

Engrave them in same way and same order and rooms 1 and 2 will have greater value than 3.

Yes, lots of people have tested this, me included. 23a: It's been on the wiki for years
« Last Edit: September 10, 2016, 04:27:02 pm by Fleeting Frames »
Pages: 1 [2] 3