Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Dwarven Suites  (Read 4408 times)

mirrizin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarven Suites
« on: August 31, 2016, 04:22:01 pm »

So, I've got a nice late-stage fort going. Curtain wall is established, tavern is busy, temples are occupied, dwarves are generally content. There's even a newly-minted queen sleeping peacefully in her fully-furnished bedroom.

I haven't done a library yet, but in due time...

And I decided that maybe I should set up some proper apartments for my more important dwarves, say the surviving founders and legendary workers, decorated soldiers, that sort of thing. I'm talking not just a decent bedroom, but a decent bedroom with an adjoining dining room, workspace, maybe a private statue garden, that sort of thing, enclosed within a single area akin to a private house.

This raises the question of how to set up such suites, and how to arrange them with reasonable efficiency.

I tried doing something like this more generally a fort or two ago, but it was overwhelming and messy. I think there should be some tidier way to arrange them geometrically.

Anyone else tried to do something like this?

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Suites
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2016, 05:37:04 pm »

I do 3x3 rooms. They fit snugly and can be arranged in squares.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

mirrizin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2016, 05:48:33 pm »

Not sure I want to be that efficient.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2016, 05:59:20 pm »

Something like this.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I thought you were looking for a snug way to fit them geometrically? You could change the shape of the rooms somewhat to make it more visually appealing (round some edges or whatnot), but I find that to be the simplest way to arrange.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

mirrizin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2016, 06:15:29 pm »

Something like this.

I thought you were looking for a snug way to fit them geometrically? You could change the shape of the rooms somewhat to make it more visually appealing (round some edges or whatnot), but I find that to be the simplest way to arrange.
That is something I could try to work from. I'm not set very much yet.

Pirate Santa

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_EATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2016, 08:00:42 pm »

Nicest home I've ever given a dwarf would be the mayoral mansion I just finished constructing in my small surface village.

1st Floor: Bedroom and balcony with wall grate railings, don't want any accidents! Still installing furniture, and I'd like to install a private statue garden on the balcony.

Ground Floor: Dining room, office, and fenced in front garden. Also features a mini moat (I'm trying to make canals a thing) and easy access to the river for fishing.

Cellar: Not certain what purpose I'll put this space towards yet, possibly a private wine cellar.
Welcome to Dwarf Fortress. Where peaceful death of old age is something nobody sees coming.
it turns out Dog Bone Doctors aren't very good at doctoring.

mirrizin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2016, 08:45:41 pm »

I've also been thinking about personalized workspaces, though on some level it does seem to be merely a question of mashing or stacking squares on top of or alongside each other.

The easy thing is to build city blocks with houses in the middle and pathways between.

Fawnek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2016, 10:00:41 pm »

Nicest home I've ever given a dwarf would be the mayoral mansion I just finished constructing in my small surface village.
A SURFACE VILLAGE? that is downright un-dwarflike and akin to those elves hippies... be gone you heretic. 
We all have an Urist in our lives.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2016, 11:43:17 pm »

One quick way to make tiny royal rooms that I've found is to make 1-tile (masterwork) retractable (so walkable/place-able over ramps) bridge  and link mechanisms to it till it is royal.

Mugfort...I mean, Spearbreakers II has 4x4 rooms - big enough for workshop, raw material QSP, bed, table, chair, pile of food and pile of booze. Note that if their preference is produced at fort, you better specify that booze/food in particular, lest they wander off.

Since those are important dwarves, perhaps include personal attribute training, ex. swimming (possibly while sleeping, even).

If you make private statue garden, perhaps make it useful as offshoot of main temple the dwarf can pray in.

Though honestly, this is not something you have to wait till late-stage :P right after embark, if you're planting a wood pile around carpenter's, can save 1 square for a bed right next to it.

Pirate Santa

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_EATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2016, 02:13:53 am »

A SURFACE VILLAGE? that is downright un-dwarflike and akin to those elves hippies... be gone you heretic.
It's actually a really nice challenge. No underground farming, all stone is mined in an open air quarry, no traps, no selling weapon trap components or prepared meals, and my militia only uses spears for extra flavor. Only enclosed underground rooms are a couple of cellars in the dirt layer. I've even managed to attract a couple of human mercenaries to settle down here.
Welcome to Dwarf Fortress. Where peaceful death of old age is something nobody sees coming.
it turns out Dog Bone Doctors aren't very good at doctoring.

gunpowdertea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2016, 03:13:54 am »

And remember that walls are only engraved from one side. I have 5x5 rooms with 2 wide walls between them for all important Dwarves (founders, nobility, notable craftsdwarves, high ranked soldiers,...), actually a bedroom, throne room, dining hall and mausoleum. If one of them dies, the body is buried there and the rooms declared off limits to all others. I start with this as soon as I have engravers that are experienced enough...
I don't care. I have discovered that if you spawn elves this way, cats will chase them down and eat them.

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2016, 10:19:18 am »

For generic nobles quarters, I like the model in Tyson's book with a row of 4x4 rooms connected by 1x1 hallways with doors.  For more value, I go for 5x5, so when it's all smoothed and engraved, there is more chance of multiple masterpiece engravings in it jacking up the value.

The order, from the hall to the innermost room:  office, dining room, bedroom, tomb.  In the office, a table, chair and cabinet; in the dining room, a table, chair and chest; in the bedroom, a bed, chest, and weapons rack; in the tomb, a coffin and armor rack.  Throwing in statues can always spruce up the place, and you can also add a room just for that.

Another thing I like is, if I can manage it, at least one waterfall in one of the major rooms.  If I have a row of suites like this, all in a line, it's a lot easier to engineer this.  And if I can't at the time, having them organized makes it easier to do it at a later time if I live long enough.

Think of it as McMansions for dwarves.

Also, I keep at least one stockpile just of masterwork furniture (at least once it's being produced regularly) so that especially important suites get at least a masterpiece for the central piece of furniture that defines that kind of room.  If it's really important, make every piece of furniture a masterwork.  Artifact furniture is, of course, especially good for this.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2016, 11:30:07 am »

Tier
1. Bed on dirt. 
2. Bed with Chest.
3. Shared Bedroom, with private Chest and Cabinet behind Door. 
4. 2x2 Personal Bedroom, minimum: Bed, Door, Chest, Cabinet.
5. 2x2 Personal Office, minimum: Door, Chest, Table, Chair.
6. Noble requirements, increase size for extra Chest, Cabinets, Armor Stand, Weapon Rack.
7. Tomb Noble requirements.
8. Luxury. Smooth floor and walls prior to placing furniture.
9. Luxury. Engrave floor and walls prior to placing furniture.
10. Increase square footage.
11. Use quality furnitures.
12. Add preference items. 
13. Use preference materials.
14. Include stockpile of favored drinks and food.
15. Personal doomsday lever.

Infinityforce

• Bay Watcher
  • NOW I AM ONE WITH THE COSMOS
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2016, 06:15:32 pm »

1st Floor: Bedroom and balcony with wall grate railings, don't want any accidents! Still installing furniture, and I'd like to install a private statue garden on the balcony.

Ground Floor: Dining room, office, and fenced in front garden. Also features a mini moat (I'm trying to make canals a thing) and easy access to the river for fishing.

Cellar: Not certain what purpose I'll put this space towards yet, possibly a private wine cellar.

I really must know... what tileset is this? That grass looks delicious... and does it work without dfhack?

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2016, 08:03:13 pm »

And remember that walls are only engraved from one side. I have 5x5 rooms with 2 wide walls between them for all important Dwarves (founders, nobility, notable craftsdwarves, high ranked soldiers,...), actually a bedroom, throne room, dining hall and mausoleum. If one of them dies, the body is buried there and the rooms declared off limits to all others. I start with this as soon as I have engravers that are experienced enough...
Engravings affect both sides, but have more of an effect on the side they were engraved from. Maybe. Really I've never seen any kind of proof relating to this at all. I've never even seen any kind of initial claim except on the wiki. Really I don't know how it works, but I'm pretty sure the value has at least some effect on both sides just from looking at the value of rooms some of my dwarves have at various stages of engraving.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia
Pages: [1] 2 3