Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 91

Author Topic: Gender/sexuality etc. - What Even Is A Gender Anyway  (Read 140126 times)

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Gender/sexuality etc. - Freud is WATCHING YOU, *eyebrow waggle*
« Reply #1110 on: December 28, 2016, 04:18:07 pm »

The other day I saw the rogue one thread and realized the forums were lacking a rouge on thread. You know, for makeup advice and discussion and stuff.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1111 on: December 28, 2016, 05:33:35 pm »

Apply directly to the cheeks?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images

Believe nothing you hear. Or everything. Have fun. Love when?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1112 on: December 28, 2016, 05:36:11 pm »

With a choice of which cheeks, if feeling a bit more kinky...

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1113 on: December 28, 2016, 05:39:31 pm »

Apply directly to the forehead

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
Re: Gender/sexuality etc. - Let's get this traincrash started
« Reply #1114 on: December 28, 2016, 06:12:33 pm »

If we want to take a really reductionist approach to the topic, it's all just our brain wanting to minimize the thinking it does on generating an opinion on every individual. It takes some key characteristics, generalizes, and extrapolates to all others sharing those characteristics. At least, for explaining our cultural perception of sexual and gender norms. As for how they exist in an actual person? I'll be frank: I haven't a fucking clue. How someone sees themselves is entirely up to them and entirely their business.

Reminds me of the philosophical dilema: you cannot prove to anyone, other than yourself, that you exist.

(You KNOW you exist, because you're able to think about the question)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1115 on: December 28, 2016, 10:32:00 pm »

Gamers primarily found the Gamer Motivation Profile via social media sharing (67% of all traffic) on Facebook (91% of all social media traffic) and Twitter (4.9% of social media traffic). Referrals from other websites accounted for 26% of all traffic, primarily from an article on Ars Technica (62%). The remainder (5%) was from organic search.

SELF SELECTION BIAS

That doesn't actually make a lot of sense when you're comparing people who were self-selected according to the same criteria. e.g. why would women on facebook be more likely to enjoy completing games vs men on facebook who like competing in games. Self-selection bias can plausibly skew things from the "true" ratios, but when it's relative ratios within the same group, then that mechanism is a lot less convincing.

Especially when there's an absolute bucket of data from other sources that backs up the observations in this survey.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2016, 10:40:33 pm by Reelya »

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1116 on: December 29, 2016, 05:42:45 am »

That makes sense, but it's still not representative of all gamers - it's skewed towards the opinions of people who play games and also Facebook, mostly lacking representation from people who don't use Facebook.

Also my second quote in that post, which... I guess the forum upgrade broke somehow?
« Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 05:45:32 am by Shadowlord »
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1117 on: December 29, 2016, 06:15:39 am »

That makes sense, but it's still not representative of all gamers - it's skewed towards the opinions of people who play games and also Facebook, mostly lacking representation from people who don't use Facebook.

Also my second quote in that post, which... I guess the forum upgrade broke somehow?
Yeah, that's a bug.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1118 on: December 29, 2016, 07:19:42 am »

Yeah, that's a bug.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

For my part, as a male not using Facebook, I prefer to explore to completion rather than exploit and compete, although there's often a necessity for the latter to allow me to do the former in a certain type of game (Dig'n'Fight, Minethings, Boom Beach, etc) that I have been known to take far more seriously than I really should.  I try, therefore, to stick to the more casual 'catelogable' games like Hill Climb Racing (attempted completion on three Androidbdevices, already) or the self-imposed solo challenges in sandbox games of various kinds (DF, of course, or Minecraft at one time) knowing from tje start that I'm not doing this for (or against) anybody else.

I thus appear to be more female in my mental attitude. Or not. But aren't female minds supposed to be more passive-aggressive/psychological in their competitiveness with others? So is that what I'm actually doing now by suggesting that I'm playing things in the more purist way?  It's enough to make one confused, not even knowing if one is even being self-depricating or trying to one-up all y'all barbarian-heads...  ;)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1119 on: December 29, 2016, 07:53:59 am »

These stats say something about people as a group, not people as individuals, so you can't really draw such conclusions about you as an individual from such surveys. Each respondent was asked to choose one primary motivator, it's not a study that says individuals need to identify a certain % with this and that.

If you look at the data, 25% of males chose competition/destruction as their primary motivators. That's still only 25% of the total sample. 75% of men picked something else, with "completion" coming in first for those men not primarily motivated by destroying things and people.

The big difference was that the female gamer crowd in the survey lacked a high number of people who pick competition/destruction. If you excluded that, then "completion" would be the top motivator for both genders.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 08:08:52 am by Reelya »

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1120 on: December 29, 2016, 08:04:31 am »

Yeah, that's a bug.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Wait, there's another bug?  Huh.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1121 on: December 29, 2016, 10:31:06 am »

I just took their survey and got https://goo.gl/fHfvDh

Then I attempted to register and found that I already had and had taken the survey before, although I don't remember doing it. Hmm. My answers have changed, apparently, and I don't see any way to update my account with the new results.

Also that seems like another flaw: The same person can take it multiple times without realizing it. I've taken too many "let me ask you your motivations so I can tell you what kind of gamer you are" quizzes.

In any case, my results both times had creativity #1, immersion #2. The main change is that social went from 23% to 75%, which brought it to #3.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1122 on: December 29, 2016, 11:09:28 am »

It covers that:

The v2.3 sample consists of 239,205 gamers (counted as unique IP addesses).

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #1123 on: December 29, 2016, 11:18:27 am »

Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1124 on: December 29, 2016, 11:39:31 am »

Well then, apparently I'm fairly unmotivated.

Suppose it explains why I almost never finish games :/

Or maybe I just put myself at 'some' too often >.>
« Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 11:41:24 am by Rolepgeek »
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 91