Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 91

Author Topic: Gender/sexuality etc. - What Even Is A Gender Anyway  (Read 140064 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Gender/sexuality etc. - Freud is WATCHING YOU, *eyebrow waggle*
« Reply #1125 on: December 29, 2016, 11:40:29 am »

Also, remember that self-selection bias could also understate actual gender differences, because the self-selection criteria means the people in the selection group already shared a third characteristic than the two being compared, which reduces the signal strength of the real connection. e.g. many of the respondents came from Ars Technica. So we can ask, are men vs women who read Ars Technica more alike or different to men vs women in the general public?
« Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 11:49:01 am by Reelya »

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1126 on: December 29, 2016, 11:41:05 am »

Oh, cool.
Comparison.  We match best in the Mastery components. Not at all in others.

(I think my stats are odd, if arguably correct. They're going to be confused by my freetext answers, though.)

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1127 on: December 29, 2016, 12:25:32 pm »

It covers that:

The v2.3 sample consists of 239,205 gamers (counted as unique IP addesses).

I did the survey that last time on my crappy cellphone with the low memory that likes to crash on most websites, and had no trouble completing it.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1128 on: December 29, 2016, 07:48:56 pm »

I just took their survey and got https://goo.gl/fHfvDh

Took this one when it came up in the "Shit, Let's Be..." thread. Basically, I'm a bow tie. I like Exploration/Creativity and Challenge/Strategy most, and Story or Community second. Don't so much care to compete and kick ass, to be an agent of chaos, to get hyped on adrenaline, nor to "complete" a game or get as OP as possible.

What this says about my gender, I could not tell you.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1129 on: December 29, 2016, 08:14:40 pm »

https://apps.quanticfoundry.com/gamerprofile/fe903b5e5a27468c9838913dd3a79849/
Eh.  Apparently I'm not very interested in any of these things.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1130 on: December 29, 2016, 08:21:08 pm »

Yeah this places me at a very extreme end of gamers and I wouldn't say I'm all that extreme of a gamer.
Community, 97%, I really like grouping people together towards a common goal. Gods, I have a great story to tell which I would if I had the time.
Challenge, 94%, DF community, self-explanatory - I like having complex mechanics or gameplay to master.
Strategy, 93%, I absolutely love strategy games and am positively moist at grand strategy games, ones where you've already lost or won by the time war begins.
Destruction 92%, I like having more tools of destruction at my disposal. I don't like the overuse of them.
Discovery, 91%, I like exploring the game's actual mechanics, finding exploits and employing lateral thinking to win differently
Design, 85%, I like designing my game avatars, cities, factions and so on. Really love it, really, really infatuated with the whole process across all genres
Competition, 81%, I would not say I'm a competitive gamer in the same sense that a SC2 player plays competitively. I just like competition.
Excitement 70%, I like fast paced, intense videogame experiences. I'm not particularly good at them, nor do I seek them if I have strategy ones available :]
Story, 58%, I always appreciate an amazing plot and rich tapestry of characters, but I also make my own stories in the absence of them so am not too bothered either way.
Fantasy, 43%, I like immersion but I do not like escapism, finding it to be dangerously alluring
Completion, 32%, I would score much higher on this but I weened myself off this practice after too many MMORPGs left me drained.
Power, 26%, I find being the most powerful thing or person, in single player or multiplayer, whilst it can be fun is hard to maintain as fun. I do feel compelled to optimize efficiency though.

Which one of these things would quantify what motivates horror gamers? Fantasy I think for horror and psych horror, Challenge/Excitement for survival horror and terror. I don't fit all too well with any three of the category averages so meh

BlackHeartKabal

• Bay Watcher
  • You are doomed, doomed, I tell you!
    • View Profile

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1132 on: December 29, 2016, 08:45:14 pm »

Huh. I scored really low on everything except community, which is was merely somewhat below average on at 46%.

I guess I just don't like video games.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #1133 on: December 29, 2016, 11:15:45 pm »

Hellooooo everybody~

It is I, Dozebom, back from the undead, now questioning their gender I already did that, now transgender unsure if gender is even a thing denying their own suffering confused.

As you may have read in the Sad Thread, I was pretty sure I was trans, for many reasons, I came out to my parents, and was met with a yuuuuuuuuge wave of stuff from my dad. I think he's doing this to help me, but...

Spoiler: stuff my dad said (click to show/hide)

And now I'm fighting a vicious war within myself. Great fun. My questions are:

What does it mean to "identify" as a gender? One's concept of femininity or masculinity are just based on stereotypes, right?

Is dysphoria really a medical fabrication?
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1134 on: December 29, 2016, 11:40:35 pm »

All that stuff your dad talks about reminds me how for a few transsexuals they act... Hyper feminine. To the extent that it was a typical way to clue into the fact that they are trans. Not so much that all Trans act hyper-feminine so much that I can't think of a time a woman acted hyper feminine.

I am curious as to why this is the case... But I dare not research it because the last time I did I ended up reading a feminist article on how transfemales are a disgrace to womankind and need to stop pretending because they aren't real women.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 11:42:59 pm by Neonivek »

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1135 on: December 29, 2016, 11:41:03 pm »

Dysphoria is not a medical fabrication in that we know it exists and can observe it.

Honestly I think the answer I'd give you is that you're identifying as a sex, and a gender that goes with that biological shape.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #1136 on: December 30, 2016, 12:43:15 am »

@Doze: Your dad shows wisdom, but he may however be influenced by the local culture you're in--Caitlyn Jenner is not a representative of people who are trans, regardless of popularity, and a trans*person or the concept of being transgender is NOT a byproduct of societal "norms". (Also it really seems like the concepts he's working with are more the "I HATE ME" or whatever the 'common' idea of 'transgender' is >_> Broaden knowledge; there are many people who are transgender who aren't...self-hating [meaning that first sentence can be misleading if taken very seriously/literally; given how your dad says things, I'm inferring he's saying all that moreso to provoke thought with you though]

I'll bring up a blunt example--"American" culture involves a lot of focus to the self, and it has a long history of differentiating gender as a generality and gender roles as a concrete concept; in contrast in other cultures (eg ours in the Philippines), we have many different ways we can mention the self as our culture isn't individualistic but communal, we have many dialects and languages which do not include those minor details supporting what your dad says (eg the concept of gendered pronouns; many languages and dialects here refer to other people...as people, instead of him/her, in the local tongue :P). Now from this includes how a person is brought up and raised. In western cultures, or at least as far as I can read popular conception, there's a lot of focus into binary representation (male/female), and that may lead into the concept which your dad mentioned to you--that being the societal norms pervading your area there. But in all these, the same concepts of non-rigidity hold, even in western cultures. Gender roles are predominantly socially constructed; gender isn't.

All this doesn't represent the concept of being transgender as this has been observed in all cultures regardless of societal norms. It has been studied in researches, seminal or otherwise, from multiple areas around the globe. Trans*people are NOT obsessed with their appearance, as studies from childhood notice that it's rather not the appearance they're obsessed with, and societal constructs only go so far as to determine the possible observations others may make--this doesn't include all observations that can be made, as both go deeper than that. Alongside that--gender dysphoria is NOT a medical fabrication [that would go against pretty much a lot of research and observation], as the concept of the self comes from the self--initially not from external observation, and that's noted within significant areas of one's personality; there are generally 'two' areas which note down characteristics that may be learned from society/other people/your general vicinity, and then there's this area that includes all the unique aspects of yourself which is stratified awaaaay from that. (and all these being mentioned is better covered by speaking to a therapist or professional within that field :I which I suggest you do, and, which I also suggest you ask those follow-up questions to, including any/all questions towards questioning the 'fabrication possibility' of medical terms used towards gender, and their background.)

Besides that, you & medical discourse should be discussed with a professional due to contextual reasons--because all information isn't in one page you read the idea on, as it is thoroughly mentioned in the introduction of the book/preface to avoid misunderstanding :P (And by that I should really note that the second to last sentence may not be really direct in what it's referencing, I can get why that was mentioned but it's not fully applicable; dysphoria isn't or wasn't..."made" that way to pathologize, and that is what is directly mentioned in the italics I mentioned up there in the preface of whatever 'medical book' you may have gotten it from [I infer it's the DSM-V])

E:
All that stuff your dad talks about reminds me how for a few transsexuals they act... Hyper feminine. To the extent that it was a typical way to clue into the fact that they are trans. Not so much that all Trans act hyper-feminine so much that I can't think of a time a woman acted hyper feminine.

I am curious as to why this is the case... But I dare not research it because the last time I did I ended up reading a feminist article on how transfemales are a disgrace to womankind and need to stop pretending because they aren't real women.
ONE article doesn't represent the breadth of possible knowledge :P
...Because both content and context matter. That one thing you read...isn't really valid given that (nor is it valid in feminist studies, too o_O).
« Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 12:56:46 am by Tiruin »

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1137 on: December 30, 2016, 12:45:53 am »

Trans-exclusionary radical feminism.

That is not normal feminism.
Sigtext

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1138 on: December 30, 2016, 12:49:44 am »

One's concept of feminine and masculine is largely shaped by how people around you have acted. That's not stereotyping, that's maybe gender roles but if gender is involved, gender roles will be involved.

Dysphoria is not a medical fabrication. The medical technicalities of it (iirc) is that there is literally a difference between the body-map that's structured into your brain and built up over years and is essentially determined at birth, barring severe trauma, and your actual body construction, which causes psychological distress due to the discrepancy in a rather intimate part of your brain. It also happens with people who are missing, say, an arm in their body map, and getting amputations for the affected body parts does in fact improve their happiness and essentially 'cure' them. This map is also responsible for the phantom limb phenomenon. This sense of their body being inexplicably wrong is what can cause the self-loathing. Homosexuality also has biological origins, it's not just a mystical magical difference. And for the record, yes, there is something 'wrong' with you in both cases from the biological perspective. Doesn't mean you're less worthy as a human being; everyone who is not the ubermensch has something 'wrong' with them. I have asthma, eczema, ADD, and need glasses. There's a myriad of things wrong with me. I also won a National Merit Scholarship. Just because you're not the perfect being doesn't mean you aren't worthy of [happiness/fulfillment/other things I don't want to list them all out right now sorry].

Trans people are a varied lot, and take their origins in the god Traya, who formed in the cosmos upon the third day, as the stars turned to deific matter and the winds become wrought with the scent of change Trans means different things to different people. Generalization=stupid in most cases anyway.

Women and men are not the same, that's not what equality means. Equality means that everyone is of equal worth/importance and should be treated with respect. Genetics has an obvious impact on ability and has been found to have links to even how much effort/focus you're able to put in. Men and women have distinct biological differences, which can in fact have effects on behavior (for example; testosterone vs. menstrual cycle). Gender is part social construct (behaviors) and part instinctive categorization(characteristics) (and yes these overlap, the real world is messy). It is not perfect but a binary gender system works 90+% of the time, and while it should not be used exclusively or as a restrictive mechanism, is nonetheless useful.

Not all transgendered or transsexual people had/ve physical dysphoria. Not all trans people have mental dysphoria, though if you have physical usually it extends to mental, I believe, though that might be totally wrong and it's just that people figure if they're changing their bodies their minds naturally follow. Not sure about that. Not all trans people get surgery.

Also, conform if you want to conform. Rebel against the anti-system by boldly choosing not to go along with the herd of 'conformity=evil'. If the behavior that feels right to you happens to fit into modern gender roles, it's nobody's business but yours.

Now, personally, I would say that identifying as a gender is presenting/believing oneself to be a certain gender(which is unhelpful as a definition, but basically identifying as a member of the group ______). The purpose is essentially personal, for one's own comfort, but serves as a vague shorthand for which group you're probably most comfortable with. This obviously does not always hold true, which is why we have about a billion other markers to tell someone's group status, (you know, because that's essentially what we evolved specifically to do). It also usually gives some amount of information as to romantic attraction, though this is especially unreliable if someone is trans. It's a personal decision which essentially amounts to 'what do I feel more like/which sets of weighted characteristics more closely aligns with my own?'
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1139 on: December 30, 2016, 12:51:55 am »

ONE article doesn't represent the breadth of possible knowledge

It is more that I don't want to step onto hate :P

The only time I read a anti-trans article I thought had genuinely good information in it... Was more about the success rate of gender realignment, which was stunningly low and suggests a larger problem with either gender dysphoria and/or surgery made to help with it and/or expectations surrounding it.

Which I'd also look up... but I have a feeling looking up "How unrealistic expectations cause post-operation depression in trans people" wouldn't get me search results I'd want.

---

Anyhow I'd also chime in, because I need to be overt, that yes gender dysphoria is a thing. So don't worry about it.

My whole "Hyper femininity" pondering was more of an aside as well as wondering WHY that happens.

Heck I know someone with Gender Dysphoria and they aren't really all that feminine as far as how they act. Theirs cannot be cured through hormones or surgery though because it sort of... comes and goes? I don't know what it is called when you have Gender Dysphoria where sometimes you feel like one gender and othertimes you feel like another gender.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 12:55:38 am by Neonivek »
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 91