Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 91

Author Topic: Gender/sexuality etc. - What Even Is A Gender Anyway  (Read 140127 times)

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
Re: Gender/sexuality etc. - Freud is WATCHING YOU, *eyebrow waggle*
« Reply #1095 on: December 14, 2016, 11:47:30 pm »

It generally ties into the "unconventional beliefs" part. To quote Wikipedia quoting the DSM-5:

At least five of the following symptoms must be present: ideas of reference, strange beliefs or magical thinking, abnormal perceptual experiences, strange thinking and speech, paranoia, inappropriate or constricted affect, strange behavior or appearance, lack of close friends, and excessive social anxiety that does not abate and stems from paranoia rather than negative judgments about self. These symptoms must not occur only during the course of a disorder with similar symptoms (such as schizophrenia or autism spectrum disorder).
Follow up to what Ispil said, I've read a bit about that part you mentioned tonnot, and there...is a background of this in (some?) people who claimed otherkin; the issue with those were that the background wasn't usually discussed compared to the claims given the openness of the internet and such. Compared to gender dysphoria, which isn't a mental illness or a disorder but was categorized within the DSM because it is a diagnosis, there's a notable degree of reference towards the above while in regards to gender, it has been recorded to happen to people regardless of their society and culture (eg we've cultures here in the Philippines which lack the usage of gendered pronouns [no thanks SPANIARD CONQUISTADORES], like in Davao and in the other areas in the Visayas, and there are people who are transgender there, with records as far as...those that haven't been burnt BY THOSE SPANIARDS, etc) even without a notable degree of reference other than a personal degree of reference.

Also I just noticed a...weird thing? Why was homosexuality and other benign ideas described as a crime back in the 1930's when prominent scientists and otherwise knew and mentioned that it wasn't (and it somehow still persists until today--in the least the stigma, even heavily, in certain areas)?
« Last Edit: December 14, 2016, 11:49:08 pm by Tiruin »

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #1096 on: December 14, 2016, 11:59:14 pm »

As a... crime? Crimes are what people put into practice. If being blonde is a crime, and I make it so, then it is.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1097 on: December 15, 2016, 11:31:55 am »

I do wonder what the world would be like if we got something that could turn people into animal people. Mostly the military repercussions, I think they would encourage things like rhino people to absorb bullets or something.
Not sure if dying of old age is an honor or a shame for weaponmasters. On the one hand, it means they never got the opportunity to die in glorious battle. On the other hand, it means nothing could beat them in glorious battle.
Meow.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1098 on: December 15, 2016, 11:37:45 am »

You'd prob get balls of walking cancer that wouldn't be able to even use normal military equipment.
The greatest hope for otherkin and the furries on the even weirder  side of the spectrum is VR avatars.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1099 on: December 15, 2016, 11:47:34 am »

You'd prob get balls of walking cancer that wouldn't be able to even use normal military equipment.
The greatest hope for otherkin and the furries on the even weirder  side of the spectrum is VR avatars.
Sadly, that's probably true. I don't think there's been any serious research in turning people into something else.
Not sure if dying of old age is an honor or a shame for weaponmasters. On the one hand, it means they never got the opportunity to die in glorious battle. On the other hand, it means nothing could beat them in glorious battle.
Meow.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #1100 on: December 15, 2016, 01:46:35 pm »

The difference between this and, say, gender dysphoria (I want to type diaspora for some reason), is that this goes beyond... actually, there's a whole lot of co-morbidity here with depression and other depressive disorders. Arguably gender dysphoria is a particular form of schizotypal personality disorder, though I just want to stress that the treatment of this disorder never is to "correct the strange thoughts". Usually it's a matter of coping, forming better social relationships (there's a lot of social anxiety involved here, which... can't say anything relating to that and gender dysphoria; others would need to weigh in), and in extreme cases surgical operation. Again, I have no idea to what degree gender dysphoria and social anxiety relating to paranoia tie into each other and would need others to weigh in. Additionally, most schizotypals simply see themselves as nonconformist or eccentric.

I really have no idea how you came to that conclusion at all.

In general, a personality disorder is a disorder in a person's personality itself, basically a pattern of maladaptive behaviors, inner thoughts, beliefs, etc. Schizotypal personality disorder in particular is a disorder in which they have strange beliefs and have paranoia regarding other people. In particular, that people have negative thoughts about them. The social anxiety is basically fear that others don't like them, unlike most social anxiety which stems from a negative self-image.

Gender dysphoria, on the other hand, is mainly a discomfort with how other see you, or with your own body. By definition, it is nothing more than that. This may lead to isolation, social anxiety, depression, etc, but these are not core to it. There is no paranoia that other people have negative thoughts about them. Any social anxiety is due to not being seen how you want to be, not because you fear others don't like you.

People with GD have a strong tendency towards a negative self-image because of their gender identity, but people with STPD don't have a negative self-image at all.

The two couldn't possibly be further apart.

(Not to mention that personality disorders are mostly a matter of maladaptive behaviors and less due to biological factors, whereas trans identities have a very very strong biological basis)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1101 on: December 16, 2016, 07:43:03 pm »

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/287889/Survey_Men_play_games_to_compete_women_play_to_complete.php

I thought this would be of interest for comment in the thread:

This week, the consultancy's focus is on why people of different genders play games, and the top takeaway for devs seems to be: men are most often motivated to compete, women most often want to complete things, and folks of non-binary gender are most motivated to play games in order to explore fantasies.

There's the raw survey data, as you can see there are some strong differences based on people's stated gender identities. There's less variance in the male scores, this could possibly be due to more game genres having been developed to cater to an assumed male audience, so they cover a wider range of motivations, whereas less games are made for female audiences, and even less for non-binary gender, so those ones are more skewed to specifics.

That really suggests a paradox: do you cater "inclusive" games to what non-male people list as their highest motivators or do you cater "inclusive" games to things that they list lowest. After all, if games are only providing a specific range of interests to a specific gender, then doubling-down on what they say they like might just make the genderization issue worse.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2016, 07:47:40 pm by Reelya »

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #1102 on: December 16, 2016, 08:12:39 pm »

First: what even is an inclusive game
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1103 on: December 16, 2016, 08:50:04 pm »

A game about nonbinary genderfluid neuro divergent lesbians MURDERING THE SHIT OUT OF EACH OTHER.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1104 on: December 16, 2016, 09:01:40 pm »

Gamers primarily found the Gamer Motivation Profile via social media sharing (67% of all traffic) on Facebook (91% of all social media traffic) and Twitter (4.9% of social media traffic). Referrals from other websites accounted for 26% of all traffic, primarily from an article on Ars Technica (62%). The remainder (5%) was from organic search.

SELF SELECTION BIAS

[quote="Sample Bias" section at the end of the same webpage]
Compared with the ESA 2015 factsheet of all gamers, our sample has a far higher proportion of male gamers and the average age is far lower. Also, our sample consists of a higher percentage of core gamers (the top game genre in the ESA sample was social games) with a skew towards PC gamers and RPG gamers.[/quote]

So basically, sadly, the results aren't necessarily as informative as they might like you to think.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1105 on: December 28, 2016, 01:12:34 am »

https://broadly.vice.com/en_us/article/violent-crime-higher-areas-with-women

I was looking into this research. It's kind of interesting. The researchers did surveys in Guyana and found that the stereotype of aggressive promiscuous males vs coy monogomous females only held in areas with a shortage of men vs women. A "harem effect" basically where men are incentivized to play around when there are excess women to choose from. In other areas with lots of men, such as where mines were located, there was no difference in the male/female preference for long-term relationships vs "playing the field". They then did the same analysis in the USA and found the connection holds for all 3000+ counties. Pretty much all violent or sex crimes are negatively correlated with the percentage of men in the county. Male parental involvement was also higher in areas with more men. So, the takeaway is that removing men from poor areas via incarceration is a double-whammy for these reasons.

A ratio of e.g. 52% women to 48% men might not sound like much, but then you have to consider what happens to the ratios when people pair up. if 40% of both sides marry each other, then you're left with a dating pool of 12 women to 8 men. If some of those people get married, the remaining ratio could skew up to 4:1 or 5:1 in the dating pool. And that's only for a 2% population difference. So women in metro areas with lots of offices that employ women, who wonder "where all the available men are" they're not bullshitting. They aren't there.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2016, 01:23:08 am by Reelya »

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1106 on: December 28, 2016, 02:03:07 pm »

What happens when there are few women in a community?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images

Believe nothing you hear. Or everything. Have fun. Love when?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #1107 on: December 28, 2016, 02:09:02 pm »

A game about nonbinary genderfluid neuro divergent lesbians MURDERING THE SHIT OUT OF EACH OTHER.
That's a similar premise to my current fiction project, actually.
Also, sigged.

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1108 on: December 28, 2016, 02:12:18 pm »

Am I missing something, or is that really redundant and also contradictory?

Nonbinary = not firmly in male or female
Genderfluid = changes between male and female
Lesbian = female attracted to females

Right?
I AM POINTY DEATH INCARNATE
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1109 on: December 28, 2016, 03:24:04 pm »

What happens when there are few women in a community?
A friend of mine has this idea that this is the problem with islamic immigrants (mainly of the young men, because there are no women and children refugees at all), plus in their original homelands where there are too few females anyway. I have big problems with those observations, so I'm not going to try to justify them, being plainly false in all important ways while I suddenly discover that I'm on 3% battery.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2016, 03:27:20 pm by Starver »
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 91