Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 91

Author Topic: Gender/sexuality etc. - What Even Is A Gender Anyway  (Read 139995 times)

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Gender/sexuality etc. - Let's keep this train on its rails
« Reply #195 on: August 30, 2016, 09:07:43 am »

Yeah, really depends on the topic. It's fine to express your own gender identity in a thread about gender, but you're not really going to do the same in a topic about the latest shooter game.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: August 30, 2016, 09:25:00 am »

Indeed.

(note:I am not one of those people and cannot speak to their internal motives)
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: August 30, 2016, 10:05:48 am »

From my experience with Other Games regulars, I think quite a few of them are bisexual.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 10:10:13 am by Cinder »
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #198 on: August 30, 2016, 11:10:32 am »

Ah yes, the New And Improved dire advanced zombie half-dragon ghoul gender thread

(post to watch)

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

spümpkin

• Bay Watcher
  • coming to you live from the action
    • View Profile
Re: Gender/sexuality etc. - Let's get this traincrash started
« Reply #199 on: August 30, 2016, 01:56:17 pm »

I restate my earlier point:
y-y-y-y-y-yikessss

Now, I can't talk from the P.O.V. of someone who's transitioned, as I haven't yet, but as far as I've been learning about the process (starting hormone blockers soon ((only $5 every 10-12 months. Cheap af))), it seems to me like it'd work to counter act the great big problem that is my gender dysphoria. I think that statistic that people pull our when they say "transgender people have the same rate of suicide post-op", is because when a lot of people transition, they're going throu gh other things. Gender dysphoria has been linked to depression, anxiety, etc. And, I think what the transgender community needs to know, is that no, it won't magically make all your problems go away, getting hormone therapy or a sex change. But it can help, with that big problem, so you can work on the other things more often.
Quote from: Sergarr
When in doubt, use puns.
Quote from: Calidovi
in our own special way we are all shitpost
each day, when the sun shines and greets us with a smile, at least one of us finds that inner strength to spout bullshit on a forum revolving around the systemized slaughter of midgets
dont call me a shitposter, call me a spirit one with the shitpost atman
Quote from: Descan
that's pretty gay

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: August 30, 2016, 02:11:08 pm »

Man Neo, it's a lot like you're trolling for attention:

"I don't believe sex changes change your sex" with no explanation. What else could that be interpreted as other than "I am a bigot!".

Then after everyone justly piles on to criticize you, and ask for clarification, you say "they were a woman all along! j/k!" except you don't "j/k" you act like a martyr.

Seriously, if you say something that's quite clearly in line with what bigots say then refuse to elaborate on it, and just do a 180 later and say you meant something completely different, and do a little sob story about how people misinterpreted you, nobody has the responsibility to take you seriously after that.

Isn't that kind of exactly what victim blaming is?

Someone does something that doesn't warrant the treatment they receive. Yet because they somehow "invited it" it is their fault?

Like... even if I was bigoted, highly bigoted, Hitler 2.0... It still shouldn't have lead to the same situation.

So in this case. No, in this case I am not the one at fault here for what occurred. Also why you dig it up after the entire situation defused is beyond me.

BillyTheKid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: August 30, 2016, 02:23:24 pm »

If you are a baby and got big wood, you are a boy. If you are a baby and you don't, you're not. And until science finally transcends the pesky ethical boundaries of human lands, and allows people that are switching branches with their sexuality, to give birth or make babies in their modified body, they are still the sex they were born as. Those changes are just aesthetics, and to me you are just a man without wood, or a woman carrying a conspicuous log. Yall agree?

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: August 30, 2016, 02:30:20 pm »

I honestly share that opinion, so long as you don't mistreat people and deliberately go against their preferred pronouns.

Though, what about genetic eunuchs? What sex are they?
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: August 30, 2016, 02:35:34 pm »

Though, what about genetic eunuchs? What sex are they?

Don't they still have a sex anyhow even without those parts?

To my very limited knowledge you cannot be born truly genderless.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: August 30, 2016, 02:43:08 pm »

Well there's kind of a catch-22 issue here, so I'll delineate my ideas:

1. Given a grey area, such as a person being born an eunuch, this would disqualify them from fitting within the model of reproduction in sexual classification.
2. It could be argued that the eunuch could have the chromosomes for that sex. But what if the eunuch has atypical chromosomes?
3. Would this eunuch be treated as sexless by default? No, they would be treated as an arbitrary gender depending on their secondary sexual characteristics, of which can be changed as they are cosmetic.
4. Thus, while sex cannot be changed, it does not need to necessarily be the ultimate guideline to gender. And as gender is cosmetic, it can be changed.

And it's really hard not to just say "Will it really KILL you to acknowledge transgendered people as their preferred gender?"

(Not directed at anyone in particular)

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: August 30, 2016, 02:44:28 pm »

As to be on par on my daily crusade to make people hate me, I shall expose myselfMY OPINION TO ALL OF YE.

Eh, I dont know really. I really do think gender and sex are two different things, and that gender (not sex, except under very special genetic circumstances) is a flexible thing, and that people can legitimaly identify as a gender that is different from what society ascribed to him-her, however, I am very, VERY skeptic overall of how much of a common occurrence modern media seems to make it seem, and how often it gets conflated with sexual orientation, which is a whole 'nother can of worms. Anyway, I believe that gender dysphoria is a very serious thing that people should take a fair bit more seriously, and that just being OMGAH SUPAH POSITIVE about it with little to not regard as to its actual existence in one person or another is actualy a really dangerous trend that can and often hurts a lot of people. Again, I dont think anybody can deny that gender reassignment patients, after they undergo the procedure, regret about doing it, and thats not a rare occurence either.
Considering its still quite a path of no return, I think people should take such things a lot more seriously. One thing is people who are confused, another is people with gender dysphoria, and while I can't say much for myself (since I'm about as cisgender as a person can be WITH MUH MIGHTY beardless and body hair impaired MASCULINITY ARRRGH), I do know two people that actualy have gender dysphoria and are currently undergoing hormone treatment, and they all find this almost fetishistic aproach general media tends to have in regards to gender dysphoria as absolutely sketchy and very dangerous. This is NOT a meal ticket to jump on the special snowflake bandwagon, its a very real thing that has dire effects on the lives of many people.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 02:47:03 pm by TempAcc »
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

BillyTheKid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: August 30, 2016, 02:44:35 pm »

Yeah! Since they never had a functioning base to start with, I'd say: According to what they most closely resemble, that's what they are. Cursed be this genetic defect, truly.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: August 30, 2016, 02:47:35 pm »

Also I'm quite proud of myself for actually managing to make somewhat intelligent discussion instead of exploding into pure rage.

And I have to admit I was nearly on the snowflake bandwagon just out of the desire to look female. Though I feel people have no business in whether or not I want hormones inside me whether or not I identify as another gender. I mean, people are injecting botox in their face. Last I checked, botox poisoning is more lethal than a hypothetical suicide from regret.

Though in the end I guess I'm just sexually male. People can judge me for that. People can choose not to sleep with me because of that. It's their business.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 02:50:54 pm by Cinder »

BillyTheKid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: August 30, 2016, 02:54:53 pm »

I think you just need to drink yourself senseless with aspirations of Valhalla, valor, glory. Then you will say a resounding "I AM A MAN!! A-UUH! A-UUH! A-UUH!"

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: August 30, 2016, 02:55:38 pm »

Well ye, you can still identify as female while not undergoing gender reassignment (specially considering there's much progress to be done on that field still), though its still pretty jarring just how people use and abuse of those notions because of random reasons. I specially don't trust people who arbitrarily change their gender identity on a whim, too. I mean, people can claim whatever they want about themselves, but I think its kind of a dick move to grab onto something that actualy affects people in the core of their being just because they want another layer of snowflakeyness on their social media profile.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 91