Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 91

Author Topic: Gender/sexuality etc. - What Even Is A Gender Anyway  (Read 139867 times)

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
Re: Gender/sexuality etc. - Let's get this traincrash started
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2016, 04:17:41 pm »

but I am not okay with people just deciding that for one day, they are a different gender.

You are very cavalier with other people's mental health.

From the Forum Guidelines:

Do not discuss sexually oriented material.  There are exceptions to this rule, such as passing discussions of sexual content in movies, books, computer games, etc. in topics not directed specifically at the sexual material in question, but no sexually themed topics are allowed.

Best not to go down this path.

I'm pretty sure this is not the content that rule is talking about.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2016, 04:19:29 pm »

I know it's not explicit content for the purpose of arousal, but it's still heavily problematic. Tarn has much better things to do with his time than play referee on what's acceptable or not.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2016, 04:38:11 pm »

There is already a word for that, which is sex (and intersex people for those that have rarer mix like XXY). Gender usually refers to the social implication and expectations of the stuff, although they do get mixed up sometime.
See this confuses me, because in Danish, we only have one word for both, and that's only really referring to the chromosomes (... or maybe that's just me). I mean sure, if you're legitimately trans, i'll respect your wishes, but i just plain fail to see why dudes can't be highly feminine and vice versa, or why a dude(tte) can't be squarely in between the two. I don't mind either way. ¯\(°_o)/¯
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2016, 04:40:41 pm »

I don't mind either way. ¯\(°_o)/¯

--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2016, 04:41:32 pm »

Well, the idea behind the distinction is to highlight that a lot of the things we consider masculine or feminine are really social expectations. To recognize that a dude can wear dresses and still be a dude, you kinda need to make a distinction between gender and sex.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2016, 04:44:23 pm »

There is something in that makes me uncomfortable about the idea of just ditching the idea of gender entirely but I can't quite put my finger on it.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2016, 04:45:15 pm »

i dunno

like, yesterday

when i talked about it

and then gunner-chan said "get out"
Did you actually have something to discuss, or were you just "poking the ice" to figure out which things are "problematic" to discuss?

Just asking because I can't bother digging through your post history.

"The Idea That Gender Is A Spectrum Is A New Gender Prison"
Yeaaaarrghh!
« Last Edit: August 27, 2016, 04:48:10 pm by SirQuiamus »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2016, 04:46:15 pm »

Well, the idea behind the distinction is to highlight that a lot of the things we consider masculine or feminine are really social expectations. To recognize that a dude can wear dresses and still be a dude, you kinda need to make a distinction between gender and sex.

Though at the same time... Sex isn't meaningless (outside of sex). It does have a rather sizable impact on how you will act outside of social expectations and childrearing... and surprisingly even beyond just hormones.

Though the main reason why Sex also doesn't mean everything is because well... As people have mentioned Males are just offshoots of females... and men psychologically have everything that makes a female (even parts they do not need. A man's body knows how to be pregnant)

Sex is somehow between being meaningless and being everything... yet somehow being both at the same time :P

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2016, 04:47:31 pm »

There is something in that makes me uncomfortable about the idea of just ditching the idea of gender entirely but I can't quite put my finger on it.

I can't actually tell if its sarcasm or not.

Yeaaaarrghh!

Yes?

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2016, 04:49:05 pm »

Yeaaaarrghh!

Yes?
Just expressing my general agreement...  ???

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2016, 04:50:54 pm »

Ugh... Ok people...

What is happening right now is people are trying to intentionally derail the thread so hopelessly that it gets closed down.

It is frankly one of the more obnoxious things that can happen on Bay12 whenever anything remotely uncomfortable comes up.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2016, 04:53:12 pm »

Yeaaaarrghh!

Yes?
Just expressing my general agreement...  ???

Oh ok, I couldn't tell if it was agreement or puking sounds of extreme disagreement. It's late here, I should go to bed.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2016, 04:57:46 pm »

It was not.  While I wouldn't want to enforce the binary on everyone I think the fact that we can conjure up the image of male gendered person in a dress indicates there is some sort of value to the binary.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2016, 05:04:31 pm »

TBH, I'm not even sure how a male-gendered person that would take a majority of traits associated with the female gender would make sense, at least by the definition of gender I've been using.  I'd love it if Vector could pop in and join the discussion, they've been great on the subject before.

Also, if serious discussion is intended, the title should be changed.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2016, 05:07:57 pm »

It is frankly one of the more obnoxious things that can happen on Bay12 whenever anything remotely uncomfortable comes up.
And yet people seem to like spamming DEMILITARIZED ZONE in Ameripol whenever the thread gets too heated and the German Occupation Peacekeeping Force codenamed HELGOLAND isn't around to yell at us. Shitposting > Flaming. Regular conversation is preferable to both but given how OP has decided to phrase the thread... I have my doubts. OP if you want to be serious this is not how you do it. Not that I know better, but still.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 91