Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Most retarded thing you've seen a dwarf (or many) do  (Read 11024 times)

Werdna

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Overlord
    • View Profile
Re: Most retarded thing you've seen a dwarf (or many) do
« Reply #45 on: November 20, 2016, 11:34:29 pm »

One of my Legendary Axedwarves was not even remotely keeping up with the other axedwarves on Ye Ol' Kill Count.  Some of the recruits were outpacing him when I finally decided to take a looksie.  Apparently this guy lost a hand without me noticing, and with his remaining good hand has decided to wade through Armok knows how many sieges wielding a shield.  His named axe of course was securely strapped to his back the entire time.   ::)  He is the fort's only Legendary Misc Object User. 
ProvingGrounds was merely a setback.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 20, 2016, 11:58:32 pm »

In a fort with two outdoor waterfalls, we had a mild ducksplosion (result of a locked door during a Forgotten Beast attack). When the door was opened, ducklings went everywhere, and several went swimming. Even though I carefully made sure the dorfs weren't meant to be trying to grab and stable the ducklings, several went into the head of the waterfall to try and collect a duckling of their very own. I ended up loosing more than a dozen dorfs off the waterfall. Every last one of them had gone in there to help himself to a duckling, despite the fact that we had two dozen of the damn things on land. But no. Only wet ducklings would do. Even more amusing: The ducklings continued to float at the top of the falls, cheerfully not falling the 5, 7, even 9z levels down to the rocks below, until they turned into adult ducks.

We couldn't even retrieve their bodies, so I had a guy making a series of memorial slabs. I made a memorial room looking out through the water of the waterfall. I always tried to make a statue of a duck, but it never happened. I would have loved to have had a duck statue in the "monument to dorfish stupidity" room.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 21, 2016, 04:04:33 am »

In a fort with two outdoor waterfalls, we had a mild ducksplosion (result of a locked door during a Forgotten Beast attack). When the door was opened, ducklings went everywhere, and several went swimming. Even though I carefully made sure the dorfs weren't meant to be trying to grab and stable the ducklings, several went into the head of the waterfall to try and collect a duckling of their very own. I ended up loosing more than a dozen dorfs off the waterfall. Every last one of them had gone in there to help himself to a duckling, despite the fact that we had two dozen of the damn things on land. But no. Only wet ducklings would do. Even more amusing: The ducklings continued to float at the top of the falls, cheerfully not falling the 5, 7, even 9z levels down to the rocks below, until they turned into adult ducks.

We couldn't even retrieve their bodies, so I had a guy making a series of memorial slabs. I made a memorial room looking out through the water of the waterfall. I always tried to make a statue of a duck, but it never happened. I would have loved to have had a duck statue in the "monument to dorfish stupidity" room.
Unless you already know, you can now specify what a statue should look like, so you should be able to fulfill that duck adoration wish with the later DF versions (I've never tried it, but it might even be possible to refer to the event where Urist McDucklingLover went to rescue a duckling).

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 21, 2016, 05:03:40 am »

....We couldn't even retrieve their bodies, so I had a guy making a series of memorial slabs. I made a memorial room looking out through the water of the waterfall. I always tried to make a statue of a duck, but it never happened. I would have loved to have had a duck statue in the "monument to dorfish stupidity" room.
Unless you already know, you can now specify what a statue should look like, so you should be able to fulfill that duck adoration wish with the later DF versions (I've never tried it, but it might even be possible to refer to the event where Urist McDucklingLover went to rescue a duckling).

The fort is long gone (many years of realtime) but I'm still fascinated by the idea of making them make me a statue of something specific instead of playing endless rounds of statue roulette. I've checked the wiki, and it mentions nothing about choosing your statue subject matter. How is this done? (I play vanilla, currently 4305, on a Mac.)
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"

Manivald

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 21, 2016, 06:03:22 am »

In the last version, one of my forts had an unfortunate accident (aka. I was not very skilled at the game)

It all began when I decided that the entrance of my mines should be right at the busiest intersection of my fort (basically a the place where the roads to the dormitatires and production rooms met)

And whithin my mines, I had a direct opening into the caverns (never a good thing to have).

Essentially, a group of trogdolytes somehow made their merry way past cage traps, forgotten beast excrement and the Stairway Of Certain Doom (a short stairway where for some reason about a dozen dwarves and numerous cat had mysteriously died).

After meeting my civilization, they decided the best thing to do would be to throw a huge RumbleBrawl.

They begun wrestling every dwarf that passed. Every one of them.

My brave military of veterans didn't do goose-shit, apparently not wanting to hurt the civilians, but I suspect they were just enjoying themselves and placing bets. The floor was covered in layers upon layers of vomit, blood and teeth, bad moods spread like wildfire. The fact that noone died made the thing just miserably pathethic.

It lasted about two months, before some of them finally died and the rest wondered off. It took another two months to clean the floor and get all the dwarves out of the hospital.

God, the combat AI can be frustrating.

imperium3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 21, 2016, 07:08:35 am »

There's nothing terribly wrong with that setup of yours. Your only mistake was not including some way to seal off the mines in case something nasty turned up. There are far worse things than troglodytes down there...
Socks inspire the same sort of emotions in dwarfs that Helen of Troy inspired in the Achaean Greeks. Although it is said that Helen's face launched a thousand ships, socks have surely launched a million ultimately-fatal Store Owned Item tasks.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 21, 2016, 08:19:21 am »

@Thisfox: I've never bothered with statue details myself, but it should be similar to how you now can create your fortress and group names and even more close to the fortress symbol (new stuff at the bottom of the embark screen) as well as tavern/library/temple names.
The normal new way to 'd'etail stuff (such as selecting your repeat wooden shield production to be made out of feather-wood, or human size clothing made out of flax) is to use a new 'd'etail command after placing the (statue) order. Note that all of this is vanilla and present in the current later versions so no hackery is needed. And you're certainly not the only one who hasn't noted the discreet introduction of a 'd'etail command on most workshop screens ;)

Codyo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 21, 2016, 11:03:41 pm »

I've once told a dwarf to mine a bit of "Hot" rock for my forges.
And he actually did it. The mad man!

He didn't get to regret his mistake long.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 21, 2016, 11:34:17 pm »

Repeatedly climb out of the water to evade drowning and then fall back in. Even though there were ramps to dry land within a few such spasms, said dwarf instead flopped over to the center of the cavern lake until they died of thirst.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

rhavviepoodle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 21, 2016, 11:50:19 pm »

The fort is long gone (many years of realtime) but I'm still fascinated by the idea of making them make me a statue of something specific instead of playing endless rounds of statue roulette. I've checked the wiki, and it mentions nothing about choosing your statue subject matter. How is this done? (I play vanilla, currently 4305, on a Mac.)

[q]uery the workshop, and before the labor has started select it with +/- and hit [d]. You can also choose material types, or the way in which a dwarf decorates another object (spikes, bands, etc). You can choose a specific image (or create your own), ask the craftsman to pick an image related to a site/figure/civ, or allow the artist to choose entirely.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 22, 2016, 02:49:48 am »

Wow. And there it is. And I didn't see it anywhere on the wiki. Wow, there's a lot of choices though. That's going to be fun to search through.

Thanks, that's definitely a new thing in the last few years. I wonder what else I've missed?

rhavviepoodle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 22, 2016, 11:01:25 am »

There are basically if/then statements for work orders, which I recommend checking out if you haven't already. From the manager, you can highlight a job and change its [c]onditions, usually based on either the [r]eagents involved or the number of [p]roducts available in your fort. It's great for passive infrastructure building, such as firing clay pots when you only have so many empty food storage items available. One thing you want to be careful of is that giving a work order conditions means it will already be a repeating order, so don't set it to infinite -and- repeating. Usually you can just set a job to be done once per set of conditions and it should repeat without a hitch.

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 22, 2016, 07:33:12 pm »

My biggest piece of advice for workshop orders is to never use the infinite, and also set the number of items per job to a very small number (almost always 1, but occasionally up to 5).  The manager will check the conditions once per day and if the conditions are set, then it will run the job.  If you set the number of items per job to 1, and repeat daily, you will end up with 364 items in a year, spread out over the year -- i.e. more than enough except for ammo, and potentially booze.

You have to remember to set the 'r' condition (reagents) sensibly.  If you always set it to 1 and there are many jobs that use that thing, then you will constantly get spam about not having enough.  So for example, if you are using wood and you are building doors, beds, buckets and charcoal from wood, then you will want to set the number of wood to at least 5.  That way you won't run out in the middle of doing the other jobs.

You can also set the 'p' products condition so that you don't over produce.  In that way you won't burn through all your wood making ash for soap just because you happen to have a lot of tallow on hand.  One warning: if an item is being hauled, forbidden or dumped it is *not* available.  So if you are thinking, "'I have too many goblets" and you haul the bin containing goblets to the trading post, you will make *more* goblets.  Indeed, anytime anyone accesses a bin or barrel, *everything* in that barrel become inaccessible, which can trigger your jobs to start making new ones.  The solution is to live with a couple of extra items, or to stop storing things in bins/barrels.

Workshop orders are my favorite feature of this game :-) If you are clever you can practically automate your whole fort.

CLF3FTW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 23, 2016, 06:49:03 pm »

Almost none of my military dorfs have their equipment. We have it and they are supposed to be wearing it, but aren't.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 23, 2016, 08:48:56 pm »

Almost none of my military dorfs have their equipment. We have it and they are supposed to be wearing it, but aren't.

Try assigning specific equipment to specific dorfs instead of keeping a uniform. Check whether they're just wearing clothing instead.

Also check the equipment wasn't bought from Humans: I once had an issue with a human-sized breastplate which no one was able to wear. Eventually I managed to melt the damn thing down and make it into dorf-sized equipment. These days I could assign it to a human mercenary, but back then it wasn't an option.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5