Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: x steel helm x  (Read 4631 times)

Goatmaan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: x steel helm x
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2016, 08:49:39 am »

So now you get to deal with xclothesx AND xarmorx !?
Hmn....an actual reason not to upgrade. 

Goatmaan
My !!XXcpuXX!! *HATES* me.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2016, 05:43:18 pm »

Goatmaan

Anything thrown in a refuse stockpile decays over time if the refuse option is selected. However, the trouble with armour is you need to fix it as it's made out of metal, which is not renewable, and we don't have a way of fixing armour.

Actually, both weapons and armour decay with use in combat (not with generally wearing them). That's where the trouble starts, and the wear determines the item and material properties against which the weapon is used or the armour is hit by.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2016, 05:49:51 pm by CaptainArchmage »
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

MorsDux

• Bay Watcher
  • If you only have a hammer, all problems seem nails
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2016, 06:10:57 pm »

I like this a lot, it keeps a fortress busy forever.

Daris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2016, 06:24:28 pm »

Goatmaan

Indeed.  I like to outfit my soldiers in masterwork armor, which requires a lot of time and a lot of rejects.  Then I need to melt down the damaged armor to replace it?  Causing masterwork bad thoughts?  Because there is no way to repair it?  No thank you.

Goatmaan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2016, 12:34:33 am »

Daris you nailed the "hmn.." part perfectly.
I'd suggest having multiple armourers, and keep them in a best bedroom fight with the duke/duchess!  Have them isolated so few friends. Keep them skipping down the halls happy.
Select them by 1 main trait, can handle stress.

Good luck.  :P

Goatmaan

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2016, 01:41:06 am »

I like the combat wear, but think the masterworks destruction issue needs to be dealt with, either through the introduction of repair, or removal of bad thoughts if the masterwork melted down was worn down to at least the 'x' level.

Goatmaan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2016, 03:16:15 am »

A high combat, low resource, low population fort could have issues then?
Do they get embarrassed to wear XXMETALARMORXX thoughts? Does worn armor significantly reduce protection? If not then I'd wait till XX wear. If so...more micromanagement sounds fun.  :P

Goatmaan

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2016, 04:35:08 am »

On the one hand, my fortresses rely on goblinite (and candy) for metal (apart from a small supply of non weapon/armor grade metal to handle strange moods, and I sometimes buy nickel for a magma hauling mine cart), and as they're dead civs they're also low pop. On the other hand, they're also low on physical combat.
Reforging metal weapons and armor would mean the smiths can keep skill rust at bay. The resource issue is largely the wonky smelting loss/gain mechanics. If a repair mechanic would use up metal, that might become an issue over time, but on the other hand, high combat generally means lots of goblinite (but beware of the elves)...

Without knowing, I'd expect worn armor to reduce protection, and it's definitely reduced when the armor is destroyed...

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2016, 05:11:25 am »

I feel like one of us should step up and !!SCIENCE!! this new feature. Perhaps collect data for the various metals, based off of a few different kinds of damage. Like combat vs. fall damage vs. dropping stones vs. ballista shots? I would be particularly interested in the properties of adamantine, since it is the only true non-renewable resource on any given map.

The masterwork thing is pretty gamebreaking, however, since it seems unpreventable. Does anyone know if the armorer receives a bad thought when a piece of armor is destroyed in combat?

Daris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2016, 09:24:03 am »

Daris you nailed the "hmn.." part perfectly.
I'd suggest having multiple armourers, and keep them in a best bedroom fight with the duke/duchess!  Have them isolated so few friends. Keep them skipping down the halls happy.
Select them by 1 main trait, can handle stress.

Good luck.  :P

Goatmaan

Alternatively I could stay on a version that doesn't have this "feature" until it is either fixed with armor repair, or tossed away as a bad idea like the dwarven economy.  It isn't the stress on the dwarves that is going to be the biggest problem, but the stress on ME as I watch my hard work and patience producing masterworks go down the toilet for no good reason.  The stress on the dwarves is just the crap icing on the crap cake.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2016, 09:27:28 am »

:
The masterwork thing is pretty gamebreaking, however, since it seems unpreventable. Does anyone know if the armorer receives a bad thought when a piece of armor is destroyed in combat?

I know there's at least one overseer who'd be upset over having a valuable dorf destroyed in combat due to the destruction of a masterworks piece of armor that should have protected it in combat...

Goatmaan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2016, 03:54:47 pm »

Others will have to do the science on this, since I'm still way back on 40.19.
I'll keep an eye out for the results or a fix.
Anvillocked is a peaceful fort, and after 19 months of it, I'm itching for a fight!!
Was really looking forward to upgrading (set invasion size :) ) to a high combat fort, but not now.
Oh well, I've waited this long it's just more time for Anvillocked to reach its (starting to look impossible!) goal.

Goatmaan

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2016, 07:56:42 pm »

The point was to ensure the armour wasn't invicible. The appropriate solution is to have a "fix broken armour" reaction or something, or make sure broken armour can be salvaged.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

bmxbumpkin

• Bay Watcher
  • How did I pass? She beat me like I owed her money.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2016, 11:45:37 pm »

Fyi I recall a recent post regarding new armor damage and the nerfing of fall damage. Sorry id link it but on my kindle and falling asleep

Chief10

• Bay Watcher
  • since 31
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2016, 12:11:46 am »

It seems to me that worn down armor should eventually reach a point where it becomes a new, unwearable item called "broken <armor>", which can be melted into bars for no loss of metal. Otherwise playing low-mineral forts, or using candy for armor, will just be too stressful to be worth it.

On the whole I like this feature though.
Pages: 1 [2] 3