Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 26

Author Topic: Beginner's Mafia LX: The Noisome Nine - Scum Win!  (Read 43888 times)

Kilojoule Proton

• Bay Watcher
  • µ
    • View Profile
    • YG toolbox
Re: Beginner's Mafia LX: The Noisome Nine - (7/7 players, 2/2 ICs) - Day 1
« Reply #120 on: August 24, 2016, 09:10:28 pm »

Also, vote juicebox. Lurking is like lying! by omission
ummmmm no. The only things lurkers and liars have in common is that some people like to policy lynch them.

Anyway, KJP, what behavior would you consider a dead giveaway for scum?
Yay, activity! Unvote juicebox and vote Tiruin!

Dead giveaways for actual scum and not inactives? Probably thse:
    Being lynched and being revealed as scum (but this is the trivial case)
    Farming for roles
    Lying
    Participating in an actual lynch without good evidence that the target is actually scum
    Appealing to reverse psychology (see lying)

b28b 84f2 b6e5 6f86 b10b c99b 8d9a 8530 54dc 2c8c d3b2 0e8e 36d4 9949 d87e d12b

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 25, 2016, 01:51:38 am »

vote count please
Here at Bay12 we excel at Theoretical Biology. Need to know the value of Merbone? Check. Need to know the density of a thrown Fluffy Wambler? Check. Need to know how a walking Mushroom can theoretically talk? Check.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 25, 2016, 07:31:11 am »

@roo Don't just say 'be more specific', actually ask clarificatory questions...
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 25, 2016, 09:58:39 am »

Woo ._. I'm PFPing here because of real busyness.
But as an IC--the main point of a BM is to establish familiarity with the forum environment, along with emphasizing the importance of personal, critical methodology. The second part pertains to how a player uses the game to develop their own skills, parallel to enjoying it, and also aiming to provide the idea of critical thinking: A capable mafia player, when introduced to about any Mafia game, has an idea in mind that IS CONNECTED TO their WinCondition. The first part of the game, as emphasized by the OP, is to begin establishing this kind of foundation.

Town have the goal of finding scum, but have no idea who are scum. There is a general system or process of actually getting the right way, and this begins with communicating with other people. Questioning. Mutual dialogue. As the forum background limits communication to text alone, many natural parts of communication (like bodylanguage and other non-verbal aspects) are left to the side, leaving only one's experience and personal comprehension to understand another (ie Tone or mental semantics).

This is achieved by asking questions that is parallel to your own personal method of finding scum, or at least getting an idea of the other person. Depending on the game mode (hammer/lynch timer), this is adjusted accordingly.
Questions like asking randomized ideas are usually not asked because they are unnecessary--banter can be done post-game. :P

Scum have their own IC but the same rule goes--they will try to appear as town as possible.

On communication--there's usually a 'stereotype' or categorization that people initially use to get an idea of their goal. This is commonly seen in how 'cliches' or characteristics are bunched together as indicators. These are commonly referred to as 'tells', which is usually to be interpreted as 'personal tells' rather than 'general tells' unless details say otherwise.

That said, as an IC, treat me as any player. UNLESS OTHERWISE MENTIONED, everything I say will be as a player.
Even other players can help you out--do not discount the power of communication.
Every player is unique in how they communicate with each other.
BUT PLEASE BE REMINDED THAT THIS IS A GAME, any grievances incurred by one's playstyle is to stay in-game only. If this is a manner of attitude--always be reminded that one can always do better. There's a thin but fine line between being abrasive as a way of communication, and being abrasive and using it as a 'tactic', because these can also reflect on how someone understands another. Always aim to be better even if how you acted before wasn't as good as you liked it. Self-awareness helps every player, even if they don't plan to play in the future at all. Everything is an opportunity.

Mafia is also a game wherein one can be treated unfairly or being given blunt-like wording; reader beware, this is interaction in dynamic ways, but always remember that the post is connected to a person.

Also remember that ICs can be scum--OTHER than the SCUM IC who will be teaching scum in their quicktopic. The BM is designed to be a field test along with theoretical teaching.

TBF
> Why only poke one person as the start of your game? And why Roo in particular?
> How do you perceive being voted in a Mafia game? Do you think about the voter's motives, or is there something else in mind?

Kilojoule Proton (You ok with KP?)
> Your posts seem unnecessary in this context. :P Also there is no village idiot here, there's just 'normal townie' or 'power role townie'. Do you have any questions in mind towards other people?

Kilakan
Long time no see! :D
What is your opinion of seeing emoticons during a game in people's posts?
And what is your initial impression about following your wincon in a game where no knowledge is known beforehand?

vishdafish (You ok with the shortened name of vish?)
> Welcome to Bay12 Mafia! :D
Since this is your first game, what impressions do you have about the whole game? And what is your first impression in following up your wincon?

roo
> What are your general tells of someone scummy? Do you see open communication as an important part in playing a Mafia game?

vishdafish

• Bay Watcher
  • Look at me grow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: August 25, 2016, 10:16:09 am »

Tiruin: Thanks for the welcome! ;D  So far, I think this is a pretty cool game, and its quite interesting (and challenging) to try and find the mafia from all the other people in the game. In your second question, do you mean who do I suspect so far?

(I dont mind any shortened forms of my forum name.)

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Mafia LX: The Noisome Nine - Day 1
« Reply #125 on: August 25, 2016, 10:39:07 am »

Day 1

The end of the day draws near. The blizzard still rages outside, a cold reminder of proceedings inside the inn. One of you will be removed, but will your first decision be the right one? Time will tell...

Votes

vishdafish -
Kilojoule Proton -
juicebox -
TheBiggerFish - Teneb, Tiruin (2)
snow dwarf -
kilakan -
roo - kilakan (1)
Tiruin - Kilojoule Proton (1)
Teneb -

Extensions - 0/3

Shortens - 0/5

Day will end at 10am US Central, on Friday, in 23 hours, 30 minutes

When voting, please bold red the name of the person you want to vote for, it's much easier for me to see it (and cross-reference with Lurker Tracker...)

Also, you don't need to say "unvote [person you are unvoting]", as I get confused easily. A single unvote will suffice.

Also also, if I missed anything, or miscounted the votes, do let me know.

Edited 'cause of that bloody comma. Do any of you have any questions?
« Last Edit: August 25, 2016, 10:51:26 am by hector13 »
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

vishdafish

• Bay Watcher
  • Look at me grow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 25, 2016, 10:44:56 am »

vote TheBiggerFish. He seems kinda fishy. (Pardon the pun)

roo

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm "trying"
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: August 25, 2016, 01:15:33 pm »

@roo Don't just say 'be more specific', actually ask clarificatory questions...

there can only be one thing juicebox can be more specific about i.e. in terms of me being defensive.
Or not it's cool.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 25, 2016, 01:30:05 pm »

@Tiruin:Bad experiences with roo in the past.  I would point them out, but I can't remember which game it was.  Then, real life (and other parts of Bay12) happened and I forgot anyone else :v

Basically, I got back here when roo said something to me and that superseded the initial random questioning.

How do I perceive being voted...
1)Are they actually right about what I'm being accused of (that is, the behavior, not the scumminess/not)?  If so, what is it that I'm doing?
2)How can I get them to unvote me?
3)Are they scummy?
4)If I can't get them to unvote me, am I, as the votes stand, going to be lynched based on that guy's vote?
5)How can I avoid being mislynched?

Also, for the record, most of the time Kilojoule Proton abbreviates to KJP.

roo, I'm still waiting for you to answer my question.
Why are you obsessed with me?
Because you keep responding when I say something, and I've had bad experiences with you in the past.

Why is asking and answering questions an obsession?

And that's 'being too defensive', too.  The whole point of Day phase is to trade questions and get information about.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Kilojoule Proton

• Bay Watcher
  • µ
    • View Profile
    • YG toolbox
« Reply #129 on: August 25, 2016, 01:49:42 pm »

Activity! Unvote Tiruin

Kilojoule Proton (You ok with KP?)
> Your posts seem unnecessary in this context. :P Also there is no village idiot here, there's just 'normal townie' or 'power role townie'. Do you have any questions in mind towards other people?
Mental intertia at its worst! :P I get that there are no explicit village idiot roles, but village idiocy is still possible emergently especially in my first and only completed forum BM. D1 lynch as jailkeeper! Speaking of jailkeepers...

vishdafish, who would you jail as jailkeeper? Probable scum or probable power role town?

juicebox, I notice you haven't voted (not that that says much; half the players haven't voted either). What do you think of D1 no-lynches in your own words?

Kilojoule Proton

• Bay Watcher
  • µ
    • View Profile
    • YG toolbox
« Reply #130 on: August 25, 2016, 01:58:15 pm »

(Also, fine with KP, KJP, or some recognizable variation thereof)

vishdafish

• Bay Watcher
  • Look at me grow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: August 25, 2016, 02:03:59 pm »

KJP: As jailerkeeper, I would imprison roo. Im pretty sure that either roo OR TBF is scum, but not sure which one is. To be honest, its kinda hard to pick, as most players havent really posted much.

Kilojoule Proton

• Bay Watcher
  • µ
    • View Profile
    • YG toolbox
« Reply #132 on: August 25, 2016, 02:26:48 pm »

vishdafish: A reasonable choice that partly matches with my reads, I think. Under what circumstances would you imprison a townie, e.g. a townie cop, if there are any?

vishdafish

• Bay Watcher
  • Look at me grow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: August 25, 2016, 02:35:48 pm »

Assuming I am pretty sure of their alignment, I would imprison a townie if I felt that they are a valuable member of the town, who provides useful insights and/or is a likely target. As for imprisoning a cop, I cant see a situation where it is necessary, as it makes their role kinda useless if I imprison them.

Kilojoule Proton

• Bay Watcher
  • µ
    • View Profile
    • YG toolbox
« Reply #134 on: August 25, 2016, 02:38:32 pm »

Hmm, unvote and vote juicebox.

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 26