Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 36

Author Topic: Vinland  (Read 32638 times)

Gotdamnmiracle

• Bay Watcher
  • Or I'll cut ya to dust.
    • View Profile
Re: Vinland
« Reply #240 on: August 12, 2016, 01:34:43 am »

I say we give it a day, get some rest, head out tomorrow night. Bring more archers, if we have any. More men in general. We know our goal, this time.

+1
We already retreated, I meant go back later with a raiding force.  Not right now.
+1

This. Work on a plan while we are getting mended and resting up. Also send out a recon force by land just as soon as we get back. Nothing huge. Let them know that the enemy will be somewhat alerted. We will catch up with them and attack at first dawn the following day. Also, if we can send part of our force by see, just enough to gain the enemies attention. We can have them focusing on the ship skirting just out of arrow shot right as we assault. Let's do this right, we are a master warrior and fairly intelligent. We should be a decent tactician and nordic tribes were famous for ambush.

Also, let everyone know, if anyone thinks we are a coward they can happily join us in the front of the assault.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2016, 01:43:28 am by Gotdamnmiracle »
Go back see if he's there and run him over, and drink his gun!

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: August 12, 2016, 01:49:09 am »

Yeah, I can support bringing in more men for a raid. Less loot per person but we can ensure that it's more likely to succeed, and everyone getting a thrall or two should really help the economy.

Though I'd suggest we prepare for a dusk attack. We catch them when we're fully rested and they're tired, it's going to be that much easier for us.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Gotdamnmiracle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: August 12, 2016, 02:22:28 am »

Yeah, I can support bringing in more men for a raid. Less loot per person but we can ensure that it's more likely to succeed, and everyone getting a thrall or two should really help the economy.

Though I'd suggest we prepare for a dusk attack. We catch them when we're fully rested and they're tired, it's going to be that much easier for us.

Fair.

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: August 12, 2016, 05:27:26 pm »

1001 AD - Rumor Mill

Iceland

With the establishment of a settlement in Vinland and the recent conversion of Iceland to Christianity many people prepare to emigrate to this new land.

Lawspeaker Thorgeir who had converted to Christianity himself last year decided against retirement and instead helps people unhappy with the conversion to emigrate.

England

At the Battles of Pinhoe and Alton the English Armies under Aethelred the Unready are defeated by the Danish, who plunder and burn as they go

Norway

Olaf Trygvasson made a short reapparance this year when he gathered a host of loyal christians to retake his throne. At the Battle of Geiranger the pious king was once more defeated by the Jarls of Lade, who took him into custody and sold him off as a eunuch slave to the Byzantine Court.

This further reinforce the rulership of the Lade Jarls.

Continental Europe

Reconquest of Bulgarian Provinces for the Byzantine Empire continues...

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: August 12, 2016, 06:55:41 pm »

Year 2 -Results: 1001 AD

Spoiler:  Martial (click to show/hide)

Spoiler:  Diplomacy (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Stewardship (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Research (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Piety (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Personal (click to show/hide)
--------------------------------------

Spoiler:  Military (click to show/hide)

Spoiler:  Treasury (click to show/hide)

Spoiler:  Jomarsted (click to show/hide)

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: August 12, 2016, 07:12:03 pm »

Military: Train the Leidangr ( cost 500 ), Exterminate the Skraelings once we get em trained up.  Raiding's gonna throw diplomacy out the window anyway, talking to them's only gonna further weaken our position, if we fight, we may as well go for the jugular.  Also, sure, join in raids in Europe.  First things first, let's got more and better troops.

Diplomacy: Leif Eriksson looks like a good choice.  Come one, Come All!, let's get some more people, especially if we're declaring war on the natives.

Stewardship: Get with the logging ( cost 250 ), can't afford anything else.

Research: Potatoes, high chance of success, very nice crop to support our people.

Piety: Can't afford anything, let's not convert to Christianity

Intrigue: Listen to our wife.

Personal: Spend time with our wife, let's have little viking babies
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: August 12, 2016, 08:44:56 pm »

Yeah, I think we might want to talk it out with the skraelings. Ambushes aren't prepared without reason. Besides, we can always raid and exterminate them later. Sending our troops off to england while we still have potential threats here would be foolhardy however, though given the fact that we need more money...

Martial: Raiding in Europe

Diplomacy: The Skraeling Problem - Diplomatic Solution, Leif Eriksson, Trader, Explorer, Philanthrope, Viking

Stewardship: Start up Apiculture, Logging Industry Getting the money to well and truly ensure our safety is a priority. And the apiaries would be a good way of that.

Research: Met, Met, Met!, Potatoes Mead will be pretty valuable, if we can start exporting it. Potatoes too, given that no-one in europe has them.

Piety: Nothing

Intrigue: Listen to our wife

Personal: Spend time with our wife

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: August 12, 2016, 08:51:49 pm »

I was gonna make two proposals, but then I realized that it would take two years to Train the Leidangr. So I'm less confident about miltary action involving them. However, I would also like to really kick start our industries, which spending money on training would put a damper on. And we would need training of some sort if we raid. I certainly don't want to exterminate them. As such, I'd like to say we consult with our wife in these matters, given we did ask her to help us run the place. If Ghazkull wants to actually inform us of her input, I'd be fine with that, but otherwise, I'm using it as justification for restraining our bloodlust.

So. Our position as having been wronged, and yet basically winning that ambush, despite having been struck ourselves, puts us in an excellent position to negotiate with these people. Or at least that's what Odd and Asa say. We'll take their word for it. If we can get some friends this early, they'll use us as a stick to beat their enemies with. And that's something I'm perfectly fine with, personally.

The downside, of course, is mostly in opportunity cost. Raiding them makes the most of our military actions, and probably fulfills the role of the Matter of Honor event, which I would rather avoid if possible. However. It would essentially require us to Train the Leidangr and hope we aren't raides back next year, or build a palisade, or other things I'd rather put off.

Additionally, I don't see an action limit to personal actions, though obviously we shouldn't spam it (I am curious about the Hunting action, though). We can probably Spend Time With Our Wife, Consult the Runes, and settle the Matter of Honor if we need to.

So, while I think there should be more discussion on the matter, here's what I think we should do and why (since 'raid tomorrow night' didn't happen):

Martial:
Raiding in Europe: There's nothing actually wrong with raiding, after all, and our boys need something to do.  ;)

Diplomacy:
The Skraeling Problem - Diplomatic Solution
Trade with Dublin

Now here's the thing. I was iffy on Skraelings here until I noticed something. It doesn't just give an event. It gives information. Now I could be wrong, but to me this (plus trope conventions) tells me this won't end the same way as last time. And again, reasons given previously. We can placate Corv with MEAD, after all. As for Dublin, here's my reasoning. As much as I'd like Eriksson, we already have trade with Iceland. If we can trade with Ireland as well, that's more immigrants, no additional action cost. We need to diversify our portfolio. More markets, more people, more tariff opportunities. Or however we're making money from this. Plus we can put off a decision on which 'side' to take in Iberia.

Stewardship:
Logging Industry
Some Piers

Simple: use the wood to build the piers from which a can sell wood and take in trade and migrants. Considering our largest sources of income right now are trade and taxes...well. you can see why I might like the idea.

Research
Met Met Met!
Potatoes

Mead to let Corv know we aren't ignoring his input (and we do plan on raiding some of these people, just...once we're established, and know a bit more about the situation), and Potatoes because why not? Likely to succeed, after all.

Piety:
shrug
Sorry Thorleif, Horek. But if we're gonna build a shrine at all, let's make it a full temple. Or at least once we have money to spare.

Intrigue:
Odd Ideas
What else we gonna do?

Personal:
Spend time with your wife
Trust the Runes, their Ours to use

Using our wife's magic can't hurt out relationship, right?
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: August 12, 2016, 09:07:57 pm »

I support Rolepgeek's plan the post, though I would rather go after more immigrants rather than working on Dublin's fair city(where the girls are so pretty). Frankly, I would also really like to get a longhouse up and running over building some piers, because, well, we are the boss. Our warriors need a good place to get drunk, we need to hide the mead somewhere so its not drank whenever, it helps out with our smithy, and we gotta put our gal up somewhere nice, right?
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

vishdafish

• Bay Watcher
  • Look at me grow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: August 12, 2016, 09:12:54 pm »

I was gonna make two proposals, but then I realized that it would take two years to Train the Leidangr. So I'm less confident about miltary action involving them. However, I would also like to really kick start our industries, which spending money on training would put a damper on. And we would need training of some sort if we raid. I certainly don't want to exterminate them. As such, I'd like to say we consult with our wife in these matters, given we did ask her to help us run the place. If Ghazkull wants to actually inform us of her input, I'd be fine with that, but otherwise, I'm using it as justification for restraining our bloodlust.

So. Our position as having been wronged, and yet basically winning that ambush, despite having been struck ourselves, puts us in an excellent position to negotiate with these people. Or at least that's what Odd and Asa say. We'll take their word for it. If we can get some friends this early, they'll use us as a stick to beat their enemies with. And that's something I'm perfectly fine with, personally.

The downside, of course, is mostly in opportunity cost. Raiding them makes the most of our military actions, and probably fulfills the role of the Matter of Honor event, which I would rather avoid if possible. However. It would essentially require us to Train the Leidangr and hope we aren't raides back next year, or build a palisade, or other things I'd rather put off.

Additionally, I don't see an action limit to personal actions, though obviously we shouldn't spam it (I am curious about the Hunting action, though). We can probably Spend Time With Our Wife, Consult the Runes, and settle the Matter of Honor if we need to.

So, while I think there should be more discussion on the matter, here's what I think we should do and why (since 'raid tomorrow night' didn't happen):

Martial:
Raiding in Europe: There's nothing actually wrong with raiding, after all, and our boys need something to do.  ;)

Diplomacy:
Trade with Dublin

Now here's the thing. I was iffy on Skraelings here until I noticed something. It doesn't just give an event. It gives information. Now I could be wrong, but to me this (plus trope conventions) tells me this won't end the same way as last time. And again, reasons given previously. We can placate Corv with MEAD, after all. As for Dublin, here's my reasoning. As much as I'd like Eriksson, we already have trade with Iceland. If we can trade with Ireland as well, that's more immigrants, no additional action cost. We need to diversify our portfolio. More markets, more people, more tariff opportunities. Or however we're making money from this. Plus we can put off a decision on which 'side' to take in Iberia.

Stewardship:
Logging Industry
Some Piers

Simple: use the wood to build the piers from which a can sell wood and take in trade and migrants. Considering our largest sources of income right now are trade and taxes...well. you can see why I might like the idea.

Research
Met Met Met!
Potatoes

Mead to let Corv know we aren't ignoring his input (and we do plan on raiding some of these people, just...once we're established, and know a bit more about the situation), and Potatoes because why not? Likely to succeed, after all.

Piety:
shrug
Sorry Thorleif, Horek. But if we're gonna build a shrine at all, let's make it a full temple. Or at least once we have money to spare.

Intrigue:
Odd Ideas
What else we gonna do?

Personal:

+1, except for trading with Dublin, I vote the Eriksson option.

Gotdamnmiracle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: August 12, 2016, 09:34:51 pm »

Martial:

Diplomacy:
Trade with Dublin

Stewardship:
Logging Industry
Some Piers

Research
Met Met Met!
Potatoes

Piety:
shrug

Intrigue:
Odd Ideas
What else we gonna do?

Personal:

+1, except for trading with Dublin, I vote the Eriksson option.

I suppose I'm for this. Still though, diplomacy is pretty synonymous with inaction. We don't speak their language, ager all.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: August 12, 2016, 09:41:43 pm »

We can probably find a translator. There's been settlements sorta nearby before, and besides, we can probably establish real basic communications, get a guide, have someone live with us to learn the language the become a translator, have one of us live with them and become a translator...
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: August 12, 2016, 09:43:32 pm »

Martial:
Raid the Skaelings
Raiding In Europe

Diplomacy:
Erikson, Viking Extraordinaire
Come One, Come All

Stewardship:
Logging

Research:
Met Met Met!
Potatoes

Piety:
Nope

Intrigue:
Odd Ideas

Personal:
A House!
Spend some time with your wife

Here are my votes. Diplomacing the Skraelings is probably going to go through so I threw that in there.

Erikson means more income, Immigration means more income, nothing more than that.

Logging is going to increase our trade income with Iceland and is useful all around. I want to Apiculture, but funds.

Mu on research. Mead is good, food is good.

Piety just keeps getting the short end of the stick.

Intrigue. What is even that? Is it a vegetable?

A house is something that a child can be born in with less difficulty. Our wife is pregnant. This is rather important to do now rather than later.
"As to why you'd want to [throw your sword in combat] at all? The answer is pretty simple: There's someone you want to stab, but they're all the way over there, and walking is for peasants." - Starke of How To Fight Write

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: August 12, 2016, 09:52:25 pm »

If we get enough money we can try building something bigger than a longhouse, just a thought.

Otherwise, Vishdafish's proposal gets my vote.

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: August 12, 2016, 10:43:11 pm »

If we get enough money we can do that anyway. Plus this way we can avoid making our life and our wife's life stressful due to losing a child.
"As to why you'd want to [throw your sword in combat] at all? The answer is pretty simple: There's someone you want to stab, but they're all the way over there, and walking is for peasants." - Starke of How To Fight Write
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 36