Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 36

Author Topic: Vinland  (Read 32610 times)

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
Vinland
« on: July 27, 2016, 09:40:36 am »

I don't know if you have heard of the Dynasty Games, if not here is one example of them: A Dynasty of Dynamic Alcoholism

Basically what this is, is a suggestion Game of a sort. You the players are given various options (and sometimes you can also give your own options) with which to advance the fate of our Main Character, his Dynasty and ultimately his Jarldom.

Anyway let us begin:

Name:

[] male
[] female

Homeland:

Iceland: You are one of the families who have fled the rule of Harald Fairhair and his descendants in Norway to live free of lords and kings. The Icelandic Commonwealth is a lose sort of religious democracy. Individual Villages have a Gođi, a mix between mayor, judge and priest of a village who represents the interests of his village at the Althing, the National Assembly of Iceland.Quite progressive for the Age, the icelanders are fierce, independent minded and used to the hardships of settling land. It is under constant threat by the Norwegian King who would like nothing mroe than bring these miscreants back under his rule. Religiously Iceland is currently in the transition between paganism and christianity. While the Country is unwilliing, pressure by Olaf Trygvasson (The Christian King of Norway) is rising steadily.

Requirements:
Icelandic Name (suffix -son or -dottir (depending on your gender) to your last name)

Advantages:
1. Icelandic Independence: You are beholden to no King, this is your expedition, your land and Odin/God smite down whoever thinks he can make you kneel
2. Master explorers, traders and sailors: The people of iceland are known for their willingness to go where no man has gone before, more so they are curious and open-minded, you will have a far easier time trading since you have already contacts all over the old world and your crews are way more experienced. Finally you have an easier time dealing diplomatically with any Natives.
3. The Harsh Realities: Iceland hasn't been easy to colonize, people had been used to killing their own surplus children to avoid starvation. All in all if things go badly, the Icelanders will shrug and blame it to a whim of the Gods/God instead of revolting

Detriments:
1. Poor: Iceland isn't exactly known for its rich folks, your expedition will be smaller and less well equipped to brave the New World.
2. Isolated: No one will help you, certainly not iceland since you are here on your own and sending mroe ships is expensive.
3. Independent Minded: Icelanders are Democrats, it's military forces are volunteers and anyone you muster for offensive expeditions gets a good share of what is taken. You will have a far harder time establishing yourself as a feudal Lord.

Denmark: Ruled by the son of the infamous Harald Bluetooth, Sweyn Forkbeard is a christian. However he is also tolerant of the Old Faith and really doesn't care that much to whom you pray. What the Danish King is interested in is what all Danish Kings are interested in: Wealth. Far Closer to the traditional Feudal System of the rest of europe than the other Scandinavian countries, Denmark has always been ruled by strong kings. It is a veritable superpower of its time, and owns the best (read the richest and most populated) parts of Scandinavia.

Requirements:
Danish Name

Advantages:
1. Sent by the King: Having the support of the Danish King means wealth, soldiers and ships in great numbers to support your exploration efforts. You will have the support and guidance of experienced individuals and the Danish King may or may not visit occassionally his new vassal...
2. Pagans? Christians? Who cares?: The Danes are tolerant of both faiths and really don't care who you are following and why
3. Danelaw: Holdings in Ireland, England and Scotland will give you plenty of trading opportunities and bring a vast array of different settlers, particularly skilled farmers

Disadvantages:
1.Owned by the King: You are a Vassal of the King. Period. You will have to do what he say when he says it. If he says jump you don't ask how high but you ask when you are allowed to come down.
2.Melting Pot: With Christians and Pagans mixing and on top of that English, Saxons, Irish and Scots coming into the mix you may have troubles.
3. Skraelings? You mean Thralls right?: Relations with the Natives? Are you mad?

Norway Praise Jesus! Almost all of Norway has been converted by the most devout Olaf Tryggvasson. Almost none of them voluntarily and the Jarls of Lade are still his biggest opponent refusing to accept christianity. Norway is the poorest of the Three major Scandinavian countries (Sweden, Denmark, Norway) and has always also had the weakest Kings. In fact the only constant in the politics of Norway are the Jarls of Lade. Steadfastly pagan and the strongest entity in the country, they claim to have descended from Odin himself. Currently those two are fighting each other...and you have been sent off on some expedition...

Requirements:
Norwegian Name
Catholic Faith

Advantages:
1. The Kings Expedition: The King has sent you out with a relatively large expedition.
2. Christian to the Bone: Better Trade Relationships with other Christians, easier time converting others.
3. Fish are our Friends!: Norwegian Fishermen are among the best in the world, far greater fishing income.
4. Harsher Realities: Maybe even more so than Iceland, Norway is a harsh land, people are used to that...

Detriments:
1. You want what...?: The country is in turmoil don't expect any help in the first few years
2. You can't dock here!: Tryggvasson closed off all norwegian ports for iceland...don't expect that they will let you dock...
3. Convert or Die: One thing you brought with you is the way Tryggvason converts...by locking people in their temples and setting fire to them if they don't want to.

Dynasty:
Spoiler:  Jomar Thoraldsson (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 27, 2016, 04:11:38 pm by Ghazkull »

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Vinland
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2016, 10:20:53 am »

Plan Eugenics and Science is a go!

Name: Jomar Thoraldson
Homeland: Iceland
Traits: Blacksmith, Genius
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2016, 02:29:47 pm »

+1

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2016, 02:45:25 pm »

+1
+!1
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2016, 02:54:29 pm »

oh i forgot to add...please also add the religion of the character

TealNinja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2016, 02:57:52 pm »

A game called Vinland and can't choose a character from the homophonic Finland?  Unfortunate.

Greedy doesn't offer any advantage over Architect.  If this is expying Crusader Kings 2, Greedy offered a sizeable tax bonus that couldn't really be gained from any other trait, and Architect prevented many other traits from being gained.  Another one that doesn't offer an advantage is Trusting (although it's a negative trait in CK2, there's also the Kind trait, which is 2 Diplo -1 Intrigue).

As far as charactering:

Name: Thorfinn Thorsson
Religion: Germanic (Pagan)
Traits: Genius, Strong

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2016, 03:03:31 pm »

PTW
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2016, 03:04:42 pm »

Pretty sure this isn't going to be run like CK2 at all.

Looks good, though why not Architecture instead of blacksmithing? We're going to need our settlement built before we can focus on weapons, and building all of that will likely take a lot more resources.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2016, 04:02:39 pm »

I'm backing Pagan for Jomar Thoraldson.

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2016, 04:03:07 pm »

((Okay i am assuming everyone is fine with Paganism, as for Finland, I am not firm on their customs, the old suomi faith nor really on finland before world war II in general so yeah thats why i didn't choose them as option...plus afaik the fins didn't have oceangoing vessels))

Options Taken:

Jomar Thoraldson
Male
Iceland
Pagan
Blacksmith and Genius

Diplomacy: 2+2 = 4 Your idea of Diplomacy is to smash somebody in the face with a hammer and tell them it was not your hammer who did this.
Martial: 18+2+1 = 21 A Warrior without Peer you could have joined the Varangian Guard or even the Jomsvikings instead of leading this Expedition
Stewardship: 15+2 = 17 You are a Shrewd Trader, you can rub two coins together to make a third.
Intrigue: 2+2 = 4 Your idea of Intrigue is to smash somebody in the face with a hammer and tell them it was the Hammer who did this and not you.
Piety: 3+2 = 5 You are a man without Faith, you do not really believe in the Gods, they are Opium of the People at Best.
Learning: 13+2+1 = 16 You are wise beyond your years, propably the most intelligent man in the entire Expedition

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2016, 04:07:01 pm »

We have all the subtlety and diplomacy of a hammer. Guess we have our epithet right out of the gate :P
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

TealNinja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2016, 04:12:35 pm »

((Okay i am assuming everyone is fine with Paganism, as for Finland, I am not firm on their customs, the old suomi faith nor really on finland before world war II in general so yeah thats why i didn't choose them as option...plus afaik the fins didn't have oceangoing vessels))

(The era in which I assume this is going on in, the Swedes had conquered much of Finland, and with the intermingling of the two, many Finns served in Swedish military.  I wasn't really expecting you to bend at all, especially since, as you said, the customs and religion aren't nearly as well understood.)

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2016, 04:36:54 pm »

Posting to participate
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2016, 04:44:21 pm »

Oh man this is making its way over to Bay12 now? Ehehehehehehehhehehehheheehhehee. Interesting.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2016, 05:01:44 pm »

Introduction

The sea is lapping around your knees, soaking your pelt boots and the lower part of your pants in cold water, but you don't care. None of you does...

You fall to your knees and kiss the ground even as heavy rain is whipping your face and drenching you further.

Land.

Vinland.

If you would have believed in the gods you would have prayed right about now. As it is you are just happy that this martyrium is over and done with.

Around you people drop out of the ships, some praising the gods...one the white christ. Even the thralls seem elated.

Right about now you could do with some mead and a warm fireplace, but in this rain? Slowly, almost reluctantly you rise and roar curses and coarse commands at those around you, they have grown used to your roughness in the past months, to unload the ships.

(First Turn update coming soon, just some introduction so that you get an idea of what you own. Due to your high Martial and Extremely Low Diplomacy you get extra Warriors
Hacksilver is your currency. One of it represents roughly a days worth of quality professional work or a pig...if you are really curious about this its roughly four chests filled with bits and pieces of silver.)

((and yup Xantalos, adwarf showed me this and i got inspired...want to try if i can pull it off as well as those guys on the other forum))
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 36