Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8

Author Topic: Pursuit of [Un]happiness [Cyberpunk 4/4]: [Im]plausible Deniability  (Read 11298 times)

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
Re: Pursuit of [Un]happiness [Cyberpunk 3/4]
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2016, 02:25:44 pm »

You can put her in as an NPC if you want an example. ;)
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

The Adversary

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Oh Deer God...
    • View Profile
Re: Pursuit of [Un]happiness [Cyberpunk 4/4]
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2016, 03:08:36 pm »

All
Strike Unit 1. Activate.

Cyan letters burn brightly, just above the center of your vision. It's a bizarre way to wake up. The letters don't make sense at first, and every time you try to look upwards in order to center the letters in your sight, they dance upwards again.

Fifteen targets have been marked. Central cluster is eleven floors down.

You groan, blinking steadily in order to focus your mind. You try to raise your head from your bed in order to clear out the vestiges of whatever dream is terrorizing you, but doing so sends you into a half stagger.

Peculiarly, you are already standing. You feel relaxed, but your legs seem locked upright. Looking down, your body seems to be covered in armor, though not like any armor you've seen outside second rate action flicks. It doesn't restrain you, despite the fact that it is clearly what was keeping you upright, and it feels curiously light. Looking down, you also notice a little more than a dozen red pips superimposed on your vision along with distances.

Civilian casualties should be kept minimal, but losses are acceptable. Target pacification is the top priority.

You take in the room around you with a growing sense of disbelief, a passenger in a dream. Behind you is a gaping window, giving a panoramic view of San Diego's sprawl. It's beautiful, in a distant way. Traffic, both from the drones and the vehicles on the street, creates a swarm of blue and silver light. It's sort of helpful to look at. It's the sort of the thing that might come up in a dream that you'll soon wake pleasantly from.

The rest of the room isn't.

There are three other individuals in the room, all clad from head to toe in strike suits of their own, though the designs of each are unique, and, like your own, decidedly non-military in appearance. The room you're in is almost bare, and what remains is worn and broken. Hastily painted drywall is cracked from neglect, and ceiling panels are missing in multiple places, letting wires dangle in from the ceiling. The door to this room is ajar, leading out into a greater darkness.

Besides you, the rubble of decay, and the other three armored individuals, the only thing in the room is a long black crate.

Standard weapons package has been provided. Engage at will.

Either you're having a very odd dream, or something has gone very wrong with the world.

Spoiler: Akira Nagamoto (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Jamie Walters (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Ernest Quinn (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Adam Jones (click to show/hide)
The pure destructive force of a full speed taco truck is pretty bad, and adding a bomb on won't add that much."

vishdafish

• Bay Watcher
  • Look at me grow.
    • View Profile
Re: Pursuit of [Un]happiness [Cyberpunk 4/4]: [Im]plausible Deniability
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2016, 03:24:26 pm »

"Where the fuck am I?"

Jamie looks around the room, startled by the armor and his new surroundings. Noticing the black box, Jamie walks up to it, and cautiously attempts to open it.

The Adversary

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Oh Deer God...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2016, 03:41:11 pm »

Jamie Walters
"Where the fuck am I?"
Seconds after the question leaves your lips, echoing oddly in your own ears, bright green text flares across your vision.

Currently? You're twelve floors up in what was formerly the Strellan Tenements, which was formerly the Strellan office block, which was formerly some place nice.

Now, considering the fact that you're saying that, I'm going to assume the phrase Winter-Kilo-Four-Marigold means nothing to any of you?

Others

The most imposing of the three other strike suits steps forwards, and you can hear him (you assume it's a him) speak as clearly as though he was a foot from your ear. Immediately following his question, burning green text flares across your eyes, seemingly providing answer.
The pure destructive force of a full speed taco truck is pretty bad, and adding a bomb on won't add that much."

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2016, 03:44:45 pm »

"Winter kill for what? The fuck's that mean?"
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

The Adversary

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Oh Deer God...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2016, 04:27:52 pm »

Apparently nothing, which is great, I mean really great. So, that means you're probably all going to be very confused with what's going on. I could explain, but I'm kind of on a clock- so here's the really short version.

So, special people, let's call them Team Flaming Asshole for the sake of brevity, fucked with your brains in such a way that should have made you into a dull eyed cross between or corp-slave and a black ops member. Team Flaming Asshole then had you dropped in here with a weapons packages and gave you the mission to eliminate my group. Again, for the sake of brevity, let's just call my group Team Liberation Unicorn. 

I, as a proud member of Team Liberation Unicorn, saved your lives by giving a nervous breakdown to the machine that was supposed to be taking a cheese-grater to your brain. You're welcome.

Ah, by the way. You can call me Sleepwalker.

Jamie looks around the room, startled by the armor and his new surroundings. Noticing the black box, Jamie walks up to it, and cautiously attempts to open it.

You click open the snap locks on the front of the container, pushing it open. Groggy as you are, it takes a minute to realize what you're looking at. When you do, the gang member inside of you begins rubbing his hands together gleefully.

Spoiler: Crate Contents (click to show/hide)

vishdafish

• Bay Watcher
  • Look at me grow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2016, 04:40:42 pm »

((How will actions work? Is it everyone has one action per turn?))

The Adversary

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Oh Deer God...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2016, 04:45:27 pm »

((For combat, absolutely. For everything else... Talking is almost always free, and small actions (open x, examine y) are free as long as I do not expect them to be contested. Opening the big crate is an action I don't expect any member of the group to object to, but opening a box marked with a large red bio-hazard symbol is something I'd wait to resolve until everyone had a chance to object or support.))

((In general, if the action would fundamental change the environment or any individual's position in it, it's not a free action. Otherwise, it might be a free action. Another example, actually taking things out of the box would be a full action.))

vishdafish

• Bay Watcher
  • Look at me grow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2016, 05:00:59 pm »

So, what do you want us to do? 'Cos im pretty sure ya didnt save our brains from being fried for nothin'.

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2016, 05:01:45 pm »

Adam snaps awake, glancing around at the unfamiliar room he's in. As the other two talk to thin air, he tries to get himself oriented. He quickly scans the cyan and green text in his vision, before glancing down at the red dots below him.

"These suits ain't military, far as I can tell. Who wants you dead, 'Sleepwalker?'"

As he talks, Adam examines his Protean suit, trying to figure out what it is and what it does.
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2016, 05:24:42 pm »

((Dang, if I had known... A cryo mecha would have been amazing.))

"M-m-m-m-mm-mechas...? Wait..." It takes her a few moments to realize what's going on. The green text is all a blur, really. She takes a look at her hands.
"This is... good."

She turns her head toward the box. "Although really, I sort of thought we'd find our brains in that box. This would have been more interesting if we could trash the suits."

Akria casually goes for the rocket launcher, and looks for fine print to see if it really is a kiloton rocket.

Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

The Adversary

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Oh Deer God...
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2016, 05:33:13 pm »

So, what do you want us to do? 'Cos im pretty sure ya didnt save our brains from being fried for nothin'.

Ah, well, I really wasn't sure whether any of you would be more than vegetables. Interfering with corptech is tricky to say the least. But, since you do owe me something, and it would be a shame to put all that lovely hardware to waste... I'd like the four of you to make a distraction. Team Liberation Unicorn is about to make a move, you were supposed to stop that move, but now you're going to be a smokescreen for us.

Two blocks from here is a police precinct, and inside that precinct is a very special sub-building. Sort of a home-away-from-home for some of Team Flaming Asshole.

I'd like you to blow it up.

"These suits ain't military, far as I can tell. Who wants you dead, 'Sleepwalker?'"

As he talks, Adam examines his Protean suit, trying to figure out what it is and what it does.

They are actually, cutting edge stuff too. The problem is that you are not military. Protean Strike Suits, designed to be an extension of the wearer. If any of you were military and knew anything about ballistic angles or how real strike suits looked, they'd probably look more, well, professional. As it is, the neural link to the suit is getting feedback from your personality and is reshaping the suit to you, for better or worse.

That would explain why there is something quite familiar about the armor, despite its rather uncharacteristic appearance. Upon close inspection, the armor doesn't seem to really have joints. When you move, the metal seems to bend and flow like quicksilver. It's fascinating, but you have to question how well it can stop a bullet if it responds so fluidly to simple motion.

((In essence, the Strike Suits can look mostly as you (the player) want them to. The characters don't have much control at this stage, but at this point you're free to make-up how the character's psyche will warp a strike suit.))

As to who wants me dead, that would be Team Flaming Asshole, and really it isn't me personally. It's you too, though, honestly, I'm not sure whether there was a purpose to you beyond casual connectivity. 

"M-m-m-m-mm-mechas...? Wait..." It takes her a few moments to realize what's going on. The green text is all a blur, really. She takes a look at her hands.
"This is... good."

She turns her head toward the box. "Although really, I sort of thought we'd find our brains in that box. This would have been more interesting if we could trash the suits."

Akria casually goes for the rocket launcher, and looks for fine print to see if it really is a kiloton rocket.

Alright, that makes one for the 'brain-not-quite-okay' camp. Honestly, One out of four broken eggs was better than I dreamed of. 

You casually inspect the rocket launcher while you're going for it. 'Kiloton' has a trademark by it. Phooey. 

((Dang, if I had known... A cryo mecha would have been amazing.))

((IKR? I had this whole Ice Witch area-denial thing planned, would have been beautiful.))

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2016, 05:51:49 pm »

"[color=blue]So... are these red blip things your team or the other team?[/color]"

Gazes at the contents of the box.

"What-the-fuuuuuck... Arctic Wolf DMR? What's that? Besides the obvious, anyway...

Could you also tell us what exactly is in this sub-building thing? It'd be a bit of a shitter to "help you out" and then appear on the 6 o'clock news, wanted for terrorism.
"
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

vishdafish

• Bay Watcher
  • Look at me grow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2016, 05:53:46 pm »

Well, I dont like owing debts and I have no love for the police either. I suppose I can help a bit with your problem. But ya gotta do something for me. My gang was scattered and broken after the crackdown. Get your Team Liberation Unicorn or whatever to gather five still loyal members, and I will blow up the police station. Ya can hand me the members after I, Jamie looks around, observing each other person individually or we, do the job.

I can even help ya in future missions. So, whaddya say, deal?
« Last Edit: July 26, 2016, 06:28:55 pm by vishdafish »

Hawk132

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2016, 06:17:01 pm »

((Damn, missed the sign-ups. I'll be watching this.))
Perplexicon: A New Arena - Abandoned, but feel free to give it a read.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8