Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1112 1113 [1114] 1115 1116 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1388427 times)

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile

I don't have a problem with measures to try and give opportunity for people to get into education -- bussing, vouchers, the lunch programs, things like that. I don't like it when they decide to push someone out of the way for it and remove their opportunity.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile

equal opportunity is fine until it gets into 'everyone gets a medal' territory

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com

I don't have a problem with measures to try and give opportunity for people to get into education -- bussing, vouchers, the lunch programs, things like that. I don't like it when they decide to push someone out of the way for it and remove their opportunity.

I also hate how every single white person spray-tans themself orange, wears a blatant combover, and perverts democracy to become president of the united states. EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com

Non-sequitur.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I also hate how every single white person spray-tans themself orange, wears a blatant combover, and perverts democracy to become president of the united states. EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM.
o shit you found me out

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile

Yeah actually, this is very much on point.

Though...  I might have some sympathy for *limited* affirmative action.  What do you expect, after what they did to me in school.
Literally turning the other cheek here, only because I'd like to do everything I can to end the stupidest feud ever.

But fact is, currently, there is hostility and there is bad blood, and people can't just *ignore* it.  It has to be diplomacy'd down.  It has to be forgiven.  Bit by bit.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile

so the opportunities of white people are inherently more valuable than those of black people? if it's black people being accepted over white people, theyre pushing somebody out of the way, if its white people over black people they're just taking their rightful opportunities!

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile

so the opportunities of white people are inherently more valuable than those of black people? if it's black people being accepted over white people, theyre pushing somebody out of the way, if its white people over black people they're just taking their rightful opportunities!
What?
Seriously... what?
What the fuck are you talking about?
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile

Non-sequitur.

why not that's exactly the issue with fixed diversity quotas and such.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I was gonna post a picture of a strawman, but I think I can see what you're getting at here.

To not deny a white (or, as I was more thinking, Asian) person based on race -- this is, in your eyes, the exact same thing as denying a black person based on race? Am I understanding you correctly?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Non-sequitur.

why not that's exactly the issue with fixed diversity quotas and such.

The major issue with fixed diversity quotas are two:

"Not enough Candidates"
-The people in charge typically are so desperate for candidates that they basically have to take anyone!

"Too many candidates"
-The people in charge typically do not care about the candidates so they basically just take anyone after having a few "A+" members.

But... Honestly while I know both these cases exist, I don't know how they typically go in real life... It does say a lot that it puts ownership on the person with the quota to care...

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile

Crazy idea: Don't provide or take away opportunities from people based on race. Use things like income as your criteria.

Honestly, for as long as a black person has their score bumped up when applying for Harvard while an Asian person has it bumped down, you're always going to have people pissed off about that.
Actually, since you mentioned asian college admittance, purely honest question.  When it comes to entering college, do they even have a different group compared to whites?  I don't think they did for me, in 2004

Followup, since you said they're bumped down... uh.  Are they really... bumped down?  That seems suspect.

I do know there were a large number of black-only scholarships, but hey, that's the race supporting its own.  Arguably... "arguably" justified.

Wish we could just get past this nonsense.
She/they

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Crazy idea: Don't provide or take away opportunities from people based on race. Use things like income as your criteria.

Honestly, for as long as a black person has their score bumped up when applying for Harvard while an Asian person has it bumped down, you're always going to have people pissed off about that.
Actually, since you mentioned asian college admittance, purely honest question.  When it comes to entering college, do they even have a different group compared to whites?  I don't think they did for me, in 2004

Followup, since you said they're bumped down... uh.  Are they really... bumped down?  That seems suspect.

I do know there were a large number of black-only scholarships, but hey, that's the race supporting its own.  Arguably... "arguably" justified.

Wish we could just get past this nonsense.
https://priceonomics.com/post/48794283011/do-elite-colleges-discriminate-against-asians
Quick googling shows an article that rather convincingly suggests so, well sourced and everything

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Wish we could just get past this nonsense

Well we could just check what Trump has been doing... Let me see news...

Ohh Trump is threatening businesses (Toyota) with large tariffs.

Trump's decisions on who to surround himself with seems to be causing problems...

And more chaff about people suing, challenging, or basically trying to circumvent Trump legally and democratically that we all know won't go anywhere.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2017, 04:34:13 pm by Neonivek »

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

protectionism reeeeeeee
Pages: 1 ... 1112 1113 [1114] 1115 1116 ... 1249