Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1044 1045 [1046] 1047 1048 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1395351 times)

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: Post-Apocalypse
« Reply #15676 on: December 15, 2016, 11:38:30 am »

It's a pretty far cry from saying "People polled say that they think Clinton will win" (what you first linked too) to saying "Clinton has a 90% chance to win the election."

Edit: Actually also it's a pretty far cry from "Clinton has a 90% chance to win the election" to "Anyone who doesn't think Clinton has a 90% chance to win the election is either a white supremacist or a conspiracy theorist."
« Last Edit: December 15, 2016, 11:42:38 am by Criptfeind »

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15677 on: December 15, 2016, 11:43:53 am »

Hyperbole is a thing that exists.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15678 on: December 15, 2016, 11:46:58 am »

That doesn't make your example any less irrelevant though.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #15679 on: December 15, 2016, 03:31:37 pm »

You know, people say you only have a 5% chance to roll a 20 on a twenty-sided dice, but I just rolled a twenty on the first try! How could I when everyone says you're basically guaranteed not to get a twenty? There must be some media conspiracy pushing this view.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15680 on: December 15, 2016, 03:48:46 pm »

Technically, Clinton won something... the Popular Vote.  So everyone is a winner, yay!

It means jack-all when the winning that counts is the Electoral College.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #15681 on: December 15, 2016, 03:53:15 pm »

It doesn't count much for Clinton, but it does count in that Trump has less of a mandate than perhaps any other President. Even Ford was supported by procedure and by not being Nixon (and, for the record, had decent approval ratings for a good while).
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #15682 on: December 15, 2016, 04:25:51 pm »

The US think tank AMTI (Asian Maritime Transparancy Initiative), part of the Center for Strategic and International Studies has concluded, based on new sattelite images, that China has installed advanced weapons systems on all 7 of the islands it has created in the South Chinese sea. It was already know the islands were fitted with airstrips and radar systems, but added to that list are now advanced anti-air and anti-missile systems.

So it looks like, while the US and Russia have been quarreling over anti-missile shields, and how they will invalidate MAD, China went ahead and started building one.

Meanwhile, China says that "when someone rolls their muscles in front of you, you grab a catapult", arguing the islands' militarisation is purely defensive.

http://www.volkskrant.nl/buitenland/china-plaatst-zwaar-geschut-op-kunstmatige-eilanden-in-zuid-chinese-zee~a4434935/

https://amti.csis.org/chinas-new-spratly-island-defenses/

EDIT: hmm the amti article calls it CIWS, not anti-missile. Perhaps it's not anti-nuke then.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #15683 on: December 15, 2016, 04:26:39 pm »

Ok so let's build a better political party. Among other things, we need to have strong internal regulations, because the entire 2016 election was the product of deeply malfunctioning party apparatus.

So. For one thing, we need to make sure that the party itself is a strong, functional democracy. No applause-o-meter appointments. No god-damned superdelegates. Our goal is to get a candidate who will best benefit the country and the world into office, and to ensure that that candidate has a strong backing.

Actual policy decisions are actually kind of irrelevant. It's more important that the party representatives use sound judgement than that they agree with me. After all, I'm wrong sometimes. So, what does that party look like?
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15684 on: December 15, 2016, 04:33:50 pm »

I do LOVE how America uses Statistics

Essentially if Hillary had a 51% chance to win, it ACTUALLY means she has a 100% chance to win.

In no way does a 90% chance of Hillary Victory mean that she can possibly lose :P

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #15685 on: December 15, 2016, 04:35:11 pm »

You know, people say you only have a 5% chance to roll a 20 on a twenty-sided dice, but I just rolled a twenty on the first try! How could I when everyone says you're basically guaranteed not to get a twenty? There must be some media conspiracy pushing this view.

so it seems you have no idea what a confidence interval is or how sample size relates to it all. an outlier result doesn't mean you rolled a 20 on the first try, but you rolled a 20 for 20 times in a row, and that's why they claim it's either a rigged election, rigged polls, or social factors (i.e. people ashamed saying they'd vote for Trump) - it's not just a product of chance.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #15686 on: December 15, 2016, 04:36:11 pm »

I do LOVE how America uses Statistics

Essentially if Hillary had a 51% chance to win, it ACTUALLY means she has a 100% chance to win.

In no way does a 90% chance of Hillary Victory mean that she can possibly lose :P
Half of the country voted Hillary, the other half voted Trump. The third half is left confused.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #15687 on: December 15, 2016, 05:09:47 pm »

Stupid tangentially related stuff: remember how Sergarr went full LCS many pages back? There's a person who's actually just like that IRL - Keith Olbermann from GQ. He's been triggered by Trump incredibly hard:

"RUSSIAN SCUM!!!"
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #15688 on: December 15, 2016, 05:22:26 pm »

so it seems you have no idea what a confidence interval is or how sample size relates to it all. an outlier result doesn't mean you rolled a 20 on the first try, but you rolled a 20 for 20 times in a row, and that's why they claim it's either a rigged election, rigged polls, or social factors (i.e. people ashamed saying they'd vote for Trump) - it's not just a product of chance.

It does not mean that at all. The chance for somebody to win the election was the proportion of possible results as calculated from the data that went their way. For Clinton that was 80-90% of projected real results, with 10-20% of projected real results showing a relatively unlikely Trump surge on Election Day and predicting exactly the kind of sampling error that would give rise to something like this. At the end of the day a good chunk of Trump's voters were missed by the majority of the polls. You can argue why that would be, but the fact remains that they were missed, and the confidence interval having a specific percentage value assigned to it accounts for exactly the possibility that the majority of your gathered data does not reflect the real distribution, which is never impossible and in this case wasn't even what you would call a sure enough thing in a biology paper under certain conservative estimates.

See, you're applying deterministic hindsight to a probabilistic attempt at foresight. A throw of the dice is also hypothetically a perfectly predictable process in which you, knowing the full initial conditions and having adequate tools, could easily predict the side they'd land on. The fact that it's practically impossible to gather these measurements in a real situation is why probabilities and confidence intervals exist.

Of course, improving methodology in light of this result is probably solid advice nevertheless, and has already very clearly occurred to the pollsters and statisticians involved.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2016, 05:30:13 pm by Harry Baldman »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15689 on: December 15, 2016, 05:28:48 pm »

Once again we are going back to "90% means 100%!" :P
Pages: 1 ... 1044 1045 [1046] 1047 1048 ... 1249