Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1040 1041 [1042] 1043 1044 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1395089 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: Post-Apocalypse
« Reply #15615 on: December 13, 2016, 04:22:59 pm »

2016. The year when spacetime curled up into a fetal position
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15616 on: December 13, 2016, 04:26:08 pm »

You might want to put that under an "NSFW language" spoiler, Rolan.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15617 on: December 13, 2016, 04:30:26 pm »

LCS isn't *that* NSFW though, really, bosses rarely look that carefully at console text.
:P
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15618 on: December 13, 2016, 04:34:03 pm »

LCS isn't *that* NSFW though, really, bosses rarely look that carefully at console text.
:P

I could see someone getting in trouble for this, personally (though I've never actually worked in an office). I really think you should play it safe, but I suppose it's your choice.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15619 on: December 13, 2016, 04:40:14 pm »

You're right.

Nah I'm not Weird Al

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tb-Mce9VpmY
I actually forgot this song, thanks for the reminder!  I loved it as a kid.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #15620 on: December 13, 2016, 05:15:51 pm »

In dutch there's a saying, when someone has positions that pose a conflict of interest that goes 'he is wearing multiple hats'. Not sure if there's a similar saying in english.
Anywho, my newspaper's cartoonist made another Trump cartoon.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #15621 on: December 13, 2016, 05:45:44 pm »

176,000 Gallons of oil spilled from a pipeline about 150 miles from the Dakota Pipeline Protests.

Company responsible isn't sure what caused the leak, or why their leak detection equipment didn't catch it.  The leak was instead "discovered" after it had spread out about 6 miles from the source.

Poignant
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #15622 on: December 13, 2016, 05:49:28 pm »

They may be "safer than trains" (as well as more energy efficient), but that won't be an advantage until companies are forced to enact actually effective monitoring and construction.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #15623 on: December 13, 2016, 06:17:50 pm »

In dutch there's a saying, when someone has positions that pose a conflict of interest that goes 'he is wearing multiple hats'. Not sure if there's a similar saying in english.

In English, "wearing multiple hats" exists as a phrase, but doesn't carry an implication of conflicting interests, merely meaning that somebody is filling more than one job.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15624 on: December 13, 2016, 06:23:52 pm »

In English, "wearing multiple hats" exists as a phrase, but doesn't carry an implication of conflicting interests, merely meaning that somebody is filling more than one job.

Or more, 'filling multiple roles', doesn't have to be jobs exactly.

Martinuzz, is 'wearing multiple hats' the literal translation or the rough translation? The cartoon is still pretty good and spot on with the conflicts of interest, even if the saying doesn't have the same meaning in english.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #15625 on: December 13, 2016, 06:32:49 pm »

176,000 Gallons of oil spilled from a pipeline about 150 miles from the Dakota Pipeline Protests.

Company responsible isn't sure what caused the leak, or why their leak detection equipment didn't catch it.  The leak was instead "discovered" after it had spread out about 6 miles from the source.

Poignant

Heh, definitely.

Now let's just hope that
A, it wasn't caused by anyone related to the protests; and
B, it won't be used to spin blame on the protestants/movement to discredit them

I hope it wasn't in a vulnerable environment either.

Also, why wouldn't they be able to detect the leak? Wouldn't it result in pressure/flow dropping?
Love, scriver~

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15626 on: December 13, 2016, 06:36:59 pm »

Poignant

Heh, definitely.

Now let's just hope that
A, it wasn't caused by anyone related to the protests; and
B, it won't be used to spin blame on the protestants/movement to discredit them

I hope it wasn't in a vulnerable environment either.

Also, why wouldn't they be able to detect the leak? Wouldn't it result in pressure/flow dropping?

No idea about downstream, but that seems like a logical thing to have as an indicator. Doesn't help if the sensors (shoulda had redundancy, but money :P ) broke.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #15627 on: December 13, 2016, 06:40:16 pm »

A point to keep in mind is the pipelines are absurdly long. If your water heater bursts, you'll still get a second or two of showering before you realize what's happened.

If they're say, putting a flow monitor every thirty miles and one of them breaks, that's a lot of oil that has to spill before the next one detects the fault.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #15628 on: December 13, 2016, 07:03:48 pm »

Martinuzz, is 'wearing multiple hats' the literal translation or the rough translation? The cartoon is still pretty good and spot on with the conflicts of interest, even if the saying doesn't have the same meaning in english.
As literal as possible. The Dutch expression is 'hij heeft meerdere hoeden op'. Completely literal translation would be 'has has multiple hats on' but that's just how we say 'wearing a hat' generally. While it is technically correct to say 'hij draagt een hoed' = he wears a hat, 'hij heeft een hoed op' = 'he has a hat on' is more generally used. The former being a bit outdated old dutch.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #15629 on: December 13, 2016, 07:05:00 pm »

Just a good example of how very similar phrases can be radically different between cultures, I suppose.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.
Pages: 1 ... 1040 1041 [1042] 1043 1044 ... 1249