Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1041 1042 [1043] 1044 1045 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1395104 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: Post-Apocalypse
« Reply #15630 on: December 13, 2016, 07:08:02 pm »

Indeed. The Dutch version is never used without a negative connotation. It kinda always implies conflict of interests.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15631 on: December 13, 2016, 07:45:28 pm »

Now let's just hope that
A, it wasn't caused by anyone related to the protests; and
B, it won't be used to spin blame on the protestants/movement to discredit them

Clarification: Protestants are non-catholic christians whose faith descends from Martin Luther's protestant reformation. (The word you were looking for is protesters, I believe)
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Wolfhunter107

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15632 on: December 13, 2016, 08:35:26 pm »

Now let's just hope that

Clarification: Protestants are non-catholic christians whose faith descends from Martin Luther's protestant reformation. (The word you were looking for is protesters, I believe)

Martin Luther: Environmentalist guerrilla, coming soon to a theater near you.
Just ask yourself: What would a mobster do?
So we butcher them and build a 4chan tallow soap tower as a monument to our greatness?

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #15633 on: December 13, 2016, 11:30:04 pm »

I like 4chan's nicknames more:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #15634 on: December 14, 2016, 01:17:40 am »

Now let's just hope that

I think you doth protest too much!
Love, scriver~

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #15635 on: December 14, 2016, 10:32:51 am »

Does soùmeone know if there is any truth in the assertion that pro-clinton Fraud was uncovered in Detroit?
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #15636 on: December 14, 2016, 10:41:02 am »

Does soùmeone know if there is any truth in the assertion that pro-clinton Fraud was uncovered in Detroit?
There is none. The claim is based on the discovery that 59% of Detroit's counties had a discrepancy between the number of paper ballots and the number of votes recorded electronically, making them probably ineligible for recount (to eliminate the possibility that ballots were added or removed after the election). In most cases the difference was a single vote, and the discrepancy is easily explained as mechanical malfunction.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15637 on: December 14, 2016, 02:49:01 pm »

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/12/trump-russia-hacking-white-house-232642

Hm, if Trump really did know and then egged Russia on regardless, that seems rather traitorous.... At the time, everybody thought he was just being an asshole.

It kind of also raises the question of if Pence knew and when.

Of course, doesn't help that all of the media took the bait and published the leaked emails, but doesn't excuse traitorous behavior on the part of Trump.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2016, 02:52:54 pm by smjjames »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #15638 on: December 14, 2016, 02:56:13 pm »

inb4 the President is actually, literally imprisoned for high treason
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15639 on: December 14, 2016, 03:02:10 pm »

The problem though, is how do you prove protected free speech vs treasonous speech? Obviously it comes down to intent, which is probably trickier to prove in court.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #15640 on: December 14, 2016, 03:03:06 pm »

The treason wasn't in the speech, it was in knowing and enticing the corruption of democracy by a third actor. If it did all happen, that is.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15641 on: December 14, 2016, 03:03:54 pm »

Someone having a reasonable motive to do something is not evidence that they did it. That story doesn't say anything more than "hey guys, wouldn't it be crazy if Trump was colluding with the FSB? Lol he'd be fucked." And even if they did selectively release that information to help him, it's not like he as a presidential candidate has any influence on what the intelligence service of a foreign country does.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15642 on: December 14, 2016, 03:10:03 pm »

The treason wasn't in the speech, it was in knowing and enticing the corruption of democracy by a third actor. If it did all happen, that is.

That depends on how you interpret him basically saying "Hey Russia, hack the Dems!", could be taken as enticing. Though they probably did it way before he even said it anyway.

Someone having a reasonable motive to do something is not evidence that they did it. That story doesn't say anything more than "hey guys, wouldn't it be crazy if Trump was colluding with the FSB? Lol he'd be fucked." And even if they did selectively release that information to help him, it's not like he as a presidential candidate has any influence on what the intelligence service of a foreign country does.

Yeah, not sure why Earnest is saying that without evidence, but we'd have to see what the investigation actually turns up.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2016, 03:15:30 pm by smjjames »

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15643 on: December 14, 2016, 08:38:33 pm »

Please don't misuse the word treason. It's literally the only crime defined in the Constitution and would require us to be at war with Russia
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #15644 on: December 14, 2016, 08:50:50 pm »

Please don't misuse the word treason. It's literally the only crime defined in the Constitution and would require us to be at war with Russia

The Constitutional definition is that "Treason against the United States, shall consist only in levying War against them, or in adhering to their Enemies, giving them Aid and Comfort.". The current US legal provision is " "whoever, owing allegiance to the United States, levies war against them or adheres to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort within the United States or elsewhere, is guilty of treason and shall suffer death, or shall be imprisoned not less than five years and fined under this title but not less than $10,000; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States."

It is entirely possible for a nation to be considered an enemy without an active state of war, and no legal definition of which I am aware claims otherwise. Case law is very narrow on the subject, as most people that would probably fall under the definition of treason were instead convicted of other offenses, with only eleven (Six in WWII, one for participation in the Battle of Blair Mountain labor uprising, one from the Civil War, One for leading Fries Rebellion in 1800 and two for the Whiskey Rebellion) convictions in US history.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.
Pages: 1 ... 1041 1042 [1043] 1044 1045 ... 1249