Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1036 1037 [1038] 1039 1040 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1394847 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: Post-Apocalypse
« Reply #15555 on: December 12, 2016, 03:12:57 pm »

I meant more as an emergency maneuver, which seems like it would apply now, but yeah, likely near impossible to shift it a week away due to all of the political machinery that would need to be involved in shifting it and possibly the logistics as well.

The EC is actually a perfect brake to counter this kind of foriegn meddling, so, um, yeah, the EC is making a case for itself right now.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #15556 on: December 12, 2016, 03:51:13 pm »

Obama should just declare state of emergency and martial law, and stay on until the investigation is concluded.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #15557 on: December 12, 2016, 03:58:09 pm »

Obama should just declare state of emergency and martial law, and stay on until the investigation is concluded.
Finally, I was waiting for someone to say this. Yes, let's introduce martial law to overturn the election result, let's justify all 8 years of Republican propaganda on Obama wanting to be a life-time President, surely this can't go wrong, because the predominately Republican military will surely obey a Democrat President issuing an anti-constitutional order (martial law is very unconstitutional in USA!)

Really, it's probably the worst thing that Democrats could do, at this point, because it would legitimately lead to dictatorization of USA's political system, no matter who would win. Lose election? Just declare martial law and annul election results!

Latino America would feel proud.
._.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15558 on: December 12, 2016, 04:06:32 pm »

@martinuzz: You forget that there's other tools, the EC could still block him, and theres impeachment. Besides, why the heck would Obama do that? Sounds like something a Republican would say.

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15559 on: December 12, 2016, 04:08:06 pm »

Finally, I was waiting for someone to say this. Yes, let's introduce martial law to overturn the election result, let's justify all 8 years of Republican propaganda on Obama wanting to be a life-time President, surely this can't go wrong, because the predominately Republican military will surely obey a Democrat President issuing an anti-constitutional order (martial law is very unconstitutional in USA!)

Really, it's probably the worst thing that Democrats could do, at this point, because it would legitimately lead to dictatorization of USA's political system, no matter who would win. Lose election? Just declare martial law and annul election results!

Latino America would feel proud.

The military would look at the president in dumbfounded shock and officers would either start resigning like flies or they would order their soldiers to take the president in to custody and deliver him, probably in a straight jacket, to congress, who would immediately post articles of impeachment.  The senate would probably remove him from office within a week.  Then Joe Biden gets to be president for about a month.  The US takes attempted coups very seriously.

This ranks only slightly below "Californian secession" in terms of really dumb and self-defeating ideas.  "Californian Secession" might actually get congressional approval to happen.  If it does, I expect 5 successor states to California to apply for readmission to the union within 5 years.  They will all be bankrupt, war-torn, and hemorrhaging people, money, and jobs.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #15560 on: December 12, 2016, 04:15:03 pm »

War-torn? Really? That's about as dumb as thinking the UK will turn into a third-wolrd country because of Brexit.

As for Martinuzz, he was kidding. Calm down people.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15561 on: December 12, 2016, 04:29:29 pm »

War-torn? Really? That's about as dumb as thinking the UK will turn into a third-wolrd country because of Brexit.

War-torn because the US military would clamp down on things. Would be a quick war too. Besides, theres no guarantee that any of the military would join the secceeding state.

Also, the UK was already it's own country before joining the EU and still was and is, it never stopped being a country, along with all the infrastructure involved. California was never it's own country (apart for a really brief time while awaiting statehood) and it doesn't have the infrastructure to be self sustaining. So, the analogy doesn't really work.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #15562 on: December 12, 2016, 04:31:38 pm »

He may be, but others don't. There's a non-negligible portion of Democrat people who think that all Republicans are pure irredeemable evil monsters who must be exterminated at all costs, and it grows at an alarming speed every day. Not even as a joke should such attitudes be expressed.
._.

Luke_The_Hungry

• Bay Watcher
  • I have returned
    • View Profile
« Reply #15563 on: December 12, 2016, 04:34:18 pm »

He may be, but others don't. There's a non-negligible portion of Democrat people who think that all Republicans are pure irredeemable evil monsters who must be exterminated at all costs, and it grows at an alarming speed every day. Not even as a joke should such attitudes be expressed.
I gotta say, it's pretty funny to be on the other side of a sentence like this
"Make them supper!" "ALIEN BEANS"

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #15564 on: December 12, 2016, 04:53:04 pm »

Is this a joke? This is getting to be too many layers for me to keep track of.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15565 on: December 12, 2016, 05:02:48 pm »

The layer cake might or might not be a lie
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #15566 on: December 12, 2016, 05:04:22 pm »

Who even knows what lies at the center of the Poe Mandlebrot Sergarr has created. It may not even have an end.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Luke_The_Hungry

• Bay Watcher
  • I have returned
    • View Profile
« Reply #15567 on: December 12, 2016, 05:20:18 pm »

It's irony all the way down
"Make them supper!" "ALIEN BEANS"

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #15568 on: December 12, 2016, 05:23:32 pm »

I got absolutely no hint of seriousness from Martinuzz's post, so I have to agree with Sheb here.

EDIT: Sergarr, most attitudes should be able to expressed as a joke. The best ones tend to have something rather taboo in them, after all.
It still looks horribly similar to what some other people have said, and said absolutely seriously.

And I don't think that genocide is one of those attitudes that should be a subject of a joke. Maybe it could, but usually it's just a cover for people who actually want it. You know, like with all the "jokes" about them dem dirty n-words and sinner gays?

Is this a joke?
No.
._.

Dozebôm Lolumzalěs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #15569 on: December 12, 2016, 05:27:35 pm »

I got absolutely no hint of seriousness from Martinuzz's post, so I have to agree with Sheb here.

EDIT: Sergarr, most attitudes should be able to expressed as a joke. The best ones tend to have something rather taboo in them, after all.
It still looks horribly similar to what some other people have said, and said absolutely seriously.

And I don't think that genocide is one of those attitudes that should be a subject of a joke. Maybe it could, but usually it's just a cover for people who actually want it. You know, like with all the "jokes" about them dem dirty n-words and sinner gays?
Serg, just a few days ago you were talking about the "conservative menace." You know what the precursor to genocide is? Talking about how everyone with a particular characteristic or view is "dangerous," "cancerous," etc. (And before somebody says that genocide applies only to racial groups etc., not ideologies, remember the Nazi extermination of Communists?)

So you're one for talking, really.

Edit: "Doctors say that African-Americans are 10% more likely to develop cancer." "You racist scumbag!"
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!
Pages: 1 ... 1036 1037 [1038] 1039 1040 ... 1249