Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 963 964 [965] 966 967 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1392518 times)

Wolfhunter107

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: Post-Apocalypse
« Reply #14460 on: November 30, 2016, 10:14:08 pm »

Renewables investment isn't going to help much when you still have to buy gas for your car.
Just ask yourself: What would a mobster do?
So we butcher them and build a 4chan tallow soap tower as a monument to our greatness?

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14461 on: November 30, 2016, 10:20:11 pm »

Renewables investment isn't going to help much when you still have to buy gas for your car.
Oh.  Right.

We'll finally start moving away from cars?
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14462 on: November 30, 2016, 10:23:06 pm »

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/11/30/503863756/opec-agrees-to-first-cut-in-oil-production-since-2008

well, gas prices are going to start going up soon.

First good news I've heard in a while.
People having to pay that much more just to get around is hardly good news.
Well we'll have much more incentive to invest in renewables...

Mmh, Trump will just either order oil companies to pump more oil out or he'll try to intimidate Saudi Arabia and OPEC into lowering gas prices before going towards renewables, especially with the way that he has been anti-environment. Not sure his stance on renewables though, other than that he doesn't want offshore windmills in sight of his golf courses in Scotland.

Also, if Gen. Petraeus became Secretary of State, he'd be in a really unusual (for a Secretary of State) situation because he has the whole parole officer thing (for his mishandling of classified documents). Seems like it would put a major crimp on him going into that kind of position because he'll be subject to warrantless searches of work devices by his parole officer, and on top of that, the warrant officer will have to approve work travel.

Trump may be impressed with Gen. Petraeus, but it seems like the inconvenience isn't worth it for the position.

Edit: Not sure if it would work, but Trump could, in theory, pardon Gen. Petraeus, and free him from that problem. It would heavily smack of cronyism and abuse of power if he did that however.....
« Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 10:32:22 pm by smjjames »

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14463 on: November 30, 2016, 10:38:59 pm »

I'm so glad that we don't have to worry about Trump taking part in cronyism or abuses of presidential power.

: p 
Even the avatars expire eventually.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14464 on: November 30, 2016, 10:44:29 pm »

Ayyy.....

*sigh*
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14465 on: November 30, 2016, 10:47:45 pm »

The Secretary of State still has to be confirmed by the Senate though.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14466 on: November 30, 2016, 11:05:50 pm »

After all, Comcast (for an example, picking an ISP just because; it could be another ISP depending on where you are) paid to install all these lines; why should they let Charter (for another similarly arbitrary example) come in and use their lines and take their customers, even for a rental cost?
Uh, I know you just picked names at random more or less, but comcast didn't have SHIT to do with the installation. Back in the day we used to sell the big ass C-band satellite dishes, cable companies were still building up to the current bajillion channel format, and a big part of the pitch was playing up just how freaking old all that coax in the ground is. Yeah, there are newer sections, and yeah, they keep having to put out new nodes and links and such, but if we were just using what they put in the ground you wouldn't see this message until tomorrow, if ever.

Fascinating stuff actually.

Dates from the late 40's and before.

There's some more reading if you're interested regarding a map of the tubes and such, plus some rather fascinating delves into history via a microwave relay site or just check out a more recent mapping project but yeah, got caught up playing with the perspective tool making that picture which totally wasn't worth it but it tickled my obsessive-compulsive buttons just right, so there it is.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14467 on: December 01, 2016, 12:15:04 am »

I mean to get Legendary skill in all those. :P
I can figure out ways to mass-produce training materials for at least 80% of those.

I do have to wonder how you'd manage to practice dying gallantly more than once, though.
Not that hard, just have to be able to die multiple times.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14468 on: December 01, 2016, 12:52:29 am »

After all, Comcast (for an example, picking an ISP just because; it could be another ISP depending on where you are) paid to install all these lines; why should they let Charter (for another similarly arbitrary example) come in and use their lines and take their customers, even for a rental cost?
Uh, I know you just picked names at random more or less, but comcast didn't have SHIT to do with the installation. Back in the day we used to sell the big ass C-band satellite dishes, cable companies were still building up to the current bajillion channel format, and a big part of the pitch was playing up just how freaking old all that coax in the ground is. Yeah, there are newer sections, and yeah, they keep having to put out new nodes and links and such, but if we were just using what they put in the ground you wouldn't see this message until tomorrow, if ever.

There's some more reading if you're interested regarding a map of the tubes and such, plus some rather fascinating delves into history via a microwave relay site or just check out a more recent mapping project but yeah, got caught up playing with the perspective tool making that picture which totally wasn't worth it but it tickled my obsessive-compulsive buttons just right, so there it is.

No joke. The copper coax network is ancient, which is why the fed dangled shitloads of money in front of the likes of ATT, MCI, and various others in the 90s to lay obscene amounts of fiberoptic backbone cable, but the telecoms layed only a tiny fraction of what was promised, and squandered the money. Happened in the 90s, I remember.

the idea of supplying internet over coax was laughable until new signal encoding methods were created. same with dsl over pots.

the fact that this infrastructure is not managed as a utility is a major factor in why US internet is a big joke.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #14469 on: December 01, 2016, 01:11:24 am »

How is that good news?
It's not Obama's fault.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14470 on: December 01, 2016, 01:30:35 am »

Reduced fossil fuel pricing has been playing havok with the futures market, and a great deal of the petrochemical supply line.

My folks will enjoy this news as well, since they get oil royalties.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14471 on: December 01, 2016, 01:52:00 am »

No joke. The copper coax network is ancient, which is why the fed dangled shitloads of money in front of the likes of ATT, MCI, and various others in the 90s to lay obscene amounts of fiberoptic backbone cable, but the telecoms layed only a tiny fraction of what was promised, and squandered the money. Happened in the 90s, I remember.

the idea of supplying internet over coax was laughable until new signal encoding methods were created. same with dsl over pots.

the fact that this infrastructure is not managed as a utility is a major factor in why US internet is a big joke.
Yeah, I remember feeling really smart since cable companies literally use satellite dishes to pull down their programming before squirting it out over the copper. I mean, yeah, the full C-band dish install is a pain, getting them blown over sucks, and having to wait as it switches sometimes sucked, but man, that was like proto-dvr! Arguably the reason I didn't really care when dvr became a big selling point, missed your show last night? Flip over to the different time zone feeds, if nothing else you can wait a bit for the pacific feed to come in.

That map, btw, was meant to illustrate how much of the Comcast cable/internet stuff is sitting right on top of the old coaxial lines AT&T ran as a backup in case of nukes. Hell, we've had years of bullshit from them with the internet just putzing out and returning "hah, I got your ping right here, boyo!" until it decided to link back up and handshake properly an hour or five later. I suspect they finally got sick of us bitching and whatnot so they brought out a ditch-witch and reran a new node right on the corner, slapped fresh lines down the side of the house, and I wish I could say 89 Mbps up/12 Mbps down made up for their shit, but fuck that, slap another 0 on the end of those figures and we'll see about setting aside the blood-oath and call off the witch doctors.

If they had been forced to actually invest in their infrastructure instead of sitting on their asses until shit started getting congested and then "suggesting" we might want to think about not using all that internet we pay for.

Now they've jumped ahead a step and pre-emptively came out saying they're gonna do a 1 Tb cap+overage fees, and as they so graciously note, it isn't like anyone should be worried about this, I mean, gosh, you'd have to watch streaming movies for 650 of the 720 or so hours a month to hit that much, or upload a bazillion pictures, or make a gajillion tweets!

I mean, yeah, that seems kinda like they're saying "hey, 1920x1080 is hip, right, it's not like anybody is going to start buying 3840x2160 screens, let alone make content for it, though... we do have these new 4k channel packages we could ring you up for, and I mean, if you felt like it we could look into that VR thing at some point, but come on, 8k videos aren't the sort of thing you just find laying around, are they?" in a rather underhanded fashion, to me anyway.

Though, sadly the FCC didn't seem to have any suggestions about the whole quandry whereby you could pay for a month of say, 85 Mbps speeds, but only get a theoretical day or so before a little flag saying "whoops, all out of internet, come back next month unless you got more cash on ya" pops out of the top of your modem.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #14472 on: December 01, 2016, 10:15:01 am »

According to my newspaper, Clinton now has more than a 2.5 million vote lead over Trump for the popular vote counts.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #14473 on: December 01, 2016, 10:17:08 am »

Currently 62.2 million to 65.1 million according to the Wikipedia Machine.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14474 on: December 01, 2016, 10:36:37 am »

Currently 62.2 million to 65.1 million according to the Wikipedia Machine.
Any way you look like it (either the margins in a particular state due to electoral college stuff or total popular vote), it's sad that the course of a country's policy can change so drastically due to such a small percentage of the overall population.  It's also a good example of how a small percentage can now be a large absolute number.

Of course, any kind of non-proportional representation will suffer from this tendency to have unstable bifurcation.
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.
Pages: 1 ... 963 964 [965] 966 967 ... 1249