Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 960 961 [962] 963 964 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1392848 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: Post-Apocalypse
« Reply #14415 on: November 30, 2016, 05:34:12 pm »

Indeed. Typically, they ascend to power because of that desire/attraction, and people permit them to do so. It is only natural that such persons would clearly define consistent methods of attaining said goals, as related to the accommodating factors if their followers.

The unwillingness to consider the truths exposed, is just as damning though.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14416 on: November 30, 2016, 05:46:38 pm »

Indeed. Typically, they ascend to power because of that desire/attraction, and people permit them to do so. It is only natural that such persons would clearly define consistent methods of attaining said goals, as related to the accommodating factors if their followers.

The unwillingness to consider the truths exposed, is just as damning though.
This.

The most worrying part is not that Trump/Bannon/etc. is an obvious demagogue/authoritarian, but that they are so blatant about it and there's still a large group of people who still can't see it or are aware of it yet choose to forgive them. Especially with all the historical precedent.

It may partially be the 'At least he's not Hitler' mindset and the fact that we've never had a president like Trump, or a demagogic president.

Probably the most populist presidents we've had would be Andrew Jackson, Teddy Roosevelt, and arguably FDR, but they were all reformers, which Trump has yet to prove that he actually is one through actions.

Edit: I may be mixing populist into progressive with Teddy Roosevelt and FDR, but Andrew Jackson definetly was elected on a populist wave. The presidency in Andrew Jacksons day was a heck of a lot less powerful than it is now however....
« Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 05:57:05 pm by smjjames »

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #14417 on: November 30, 2016, 06:05:32 pm »

I'm kinda surprised that Trump hasn't made a tv show like the Apprentice of the whole assembling a government staff thing yet, in which the Secret Service shoots candidates when he tells them 'you're fired'.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Shazbot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14418 on: November 30, 2016, 06:06:11 pm »

The safety regulations to be safe in a factory take about 15 minutes to learn.  They pretty much amount to "Don't walk under things that are moving.  Don't hop fences that are taller than your knees.  Don't open panels unless you are trained to do so.  Wear appropriate PPE.  Don't look into the weld flash.

This is just dumb now. Safety regs are much more costly than you're making out. If a company screws up, that could cost millions - fines, lawsuits, PR problems etc. "15 minutes to learn" all the safety protocls is bullshit that only someone who has no idea of the liabilities real companies face could spout. Even without government regulations there's insurance to worry about. Those insurance guys are like hawks. Doing something silly like having teens working in a factory for 1 week after watching a 15 minute safety video is going to fuck with your insurance premiums like nothing else. At the very least, you'd need babysitters with the teens at all times, defeating the purpose of having them there. teens goof off. They're going to fuck up, and watching a 15 minute safety awareness video isn't going to turn them into adults who don't need constant supervision. (and someone will fuck up, so even the "good" kids need to be closely supervised).
If you ever want to know how well it would go over, ask a high school shop teacher. Their perpetual nervousness with their students is because they've usually seen how easy it is for even a responsible adult to just cut their fingers off in the span of a second. Most teenagers do not have enough experience with the realities of death and mutilation to truly adhere to hazardous work (nor should they).
And most teenagers are turning into crybully college brats and overweight couch-dwelling money sponge graduates, while women (who can't cook) gripe about men who can't work. Learn to bleed. I had an Iraq bomb technician (And Navajo. We called him Paco) teach me Pyro 101 in a lazy afternoon, after which I had a merry month of zero-fuck-you-thirty calls, fifty-caliber brass, stepping over dubiously exploded ordinance, mud, "welcome to Knox" hikes with the 101st, and pouring rain, all to pretend to kill convoys of Indiana National Guard. Fifteen an hour, best summer job of my life, 10/10 would splice the artillery sims to the air mortars and be a "civilian casualty" again. How was your summer vacation?

Also #NeverForgetMohammed, aka "Mo", who's only crime was passing a troop convoy on a dirt road. His termination was swift and merciless. May he live on forever doing something else, taking his "Mohammed" name tag and tearing the "Hammed" off to the embarassed laughter of all new co-workers everywhere.

I wish I had had that option available.  I would still have gone to college, but I think I would have had a much better understanding of how the world works.

You have this option available right now. "Battlefield Effects Technician". I was a civilian contractor in ... you know I'm admitting a handful of safety violations, so lets just say "an Army base" where "an exercise" occured. Its like being a lifeguard for bombs. Super fun, and any red-blooded American can do it. They get vets, rednecks, college girls reading Terry Pratchett novels... you can do this short of life-threatening allergies to the sun.

Also, back on Trump. 24/7 cable news is now the Muppet Show of puppets jumping whenever Trump tweets or one of his mouthpieces says something "rogue" entirely to script. The man learned media manipulation running a reality TV show, where it looks real but the events are scripted. Obama had fawning adultation to push his message. Trump has 4 dimensional chess trolling them along by the nose over the issues he wants to talk about.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 06:09:25 pm by Shazbot »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14419 on: November 30, 2016, 06:08:35 pm »

I'm kinda surprised that Trump hasn't made a tv show like the Apprentice of the whole assembling a government staff thing yet, in which the Secret Service shoots candidates when he tells them 'you're fired'.

Because that would require him staying in the White House.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14420 on: November 30, 2016, 06:16:21 pm »

you can do this short of life-threatening allergies to the sun.

How about 'not sweating'
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #14421 on: November 30, 2016, 06:24:38 pm »

Saw few seconds of news as I was turning off a TV no one was watching. Apparently tennessee is on fire? Or was recently. 7 dead, many thousands either evacuated or had their houses burnt down or something. Tis the season for wildfires, iirc, but still. I'm hearing about them more this year, apparently.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14422 on: November 30, 2016, 06:26:11 pm »

Saw few seconds of news as I was turning off a TV no one was watching. Apparently tennessee is on fire? Or was recently. 7 dead, many thousands either evacuated or had their houses burnt down or something. Tis the season for wildfires, iirc, but still. I'm hearing about them more this year, apparently.

Thanks Trumpbama

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14423 on: November 30, 2016, 06:28:15 pm »

The safety regulations to be safe in a factory take about 15 minutes to learn.  They pretty much amount to "Don't walk under things that are moving.  Don't hop fences that are taller than your knees.  Don't open panels unless you are trained to do so.  Wear appropriate PPE.  Don't look into the weld flash.

This is just dumb now. Safety regs are much more costly than you're making out. If a company screws up, that could cost millions - fines, lawsuits, PR problems etc. "15 minutes to learn" all the safety protocls is bullshit that only someone who has no idea of the liabilities real companies face could spout. Even without government regulations there's insurance to worry about. Those insurance guys are like hawks. Doing something silly like having teens working in a factory for 1 week after watching a 15 minute safety video is going to fuck with your insurance premiums like nothing else. At the very least, you'd need babysitters with the teens at all times, defeating the purpose of having them there. teens goof off. They're going to fuck up, and watching a 15 minute safety awareness video isn't going to turn them into adults who don't need constant supervision. (and someone will fuck up, so even the "good" kids need to be closely supervised).
If you ever want to know how well it would go over, ask a high school shop teacher. Their perpetual nervousness with their students is because they've usually seen how easy it is for even a responsible adult to just cut their fingers off in the span of a second. Most teenagers do not have enough experience with the realities of death and mutilation to truly adhere to hazardous work (nor should they).
And most teenagers are turning into crybully college brats and overweight couch-dwelling money sponge graduates, while women (who can't cook) gripe about men who can't work. Learn to bleed. I had an Iraq bomb technician (And Navajo. We called him Paco) teach me Pyro 101 in a lazy afternoon, after which I had a merry month of zero-fuck-you-thirty calls, fifty-caliber brass, stepping over dubiously exploded ordinance, mud, "welcome to Knox" hikes with the 101st, and pouring rain, all to pretend to kill convoys of Indiana National Guard. Fifteen an hour, best summer job of my life, 10/10 would splice the artillery sims to the air mortars and be a "civilian casualty" again. How was your summer vacation?

Also #NeverForgetMohammed, aka "Mo", who's only crime was passing a troop convoy on a dirt road. His termination was swift and merciless. May he live on forever doing something else, taking his "Mohammed" name tag and tearing the "Hammed" off to the embarassed laughter of all new co-workers everywhere.

I wish I had had that option available.  I would still have gone to college, but I think I would have had a much better understanding of how the world works.

You have this option available right now. "Battlefield Effects Technician". I was a civilian contractor in ... you know I'm admitting a handful of safety violations, so lets just say "an Army base" where "an exercise" occured. Its like being a lifeguard for bombs. Super fun, and any red-blooded American can do it. They get vets, rednecks, college girls reading Terry Pratchett novels... you can do this short of life-threatening allergies to the sun.
One of these things is not like the others.

How likely would I be to encounter said?  :x
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14424 on: November 30, 2016, 06:30:58 pm »

dont worry. the reports of every single month of 2016 being the hottest ever recorded for that month, as reported by noaa, is definately not a sign that agw is real, and is just more fear mongering by the ivory tower intellectuals greedy for grant money.

just continue to drive your suv, and waste electricity on christmas lights this year. its all perfectly normal, and there is no cause for concern.

there is no real evidence linking modern hydraulic fracture recovery methods with aquifer contamination, and the dryness we have been experiencing is explainable with purely natural phenomena.

/s

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #14425 on: November 30, 2016, 06:38:41 pm »

The argument that climate data spent the last several years roughly level was totally valid and definitely not ignoring the fact that global temperatures were supposed to fall significantly through that period. It's fine. Ignore it. 2+2≡5.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14426 on: November 30, 2016, 06:44:29 pm »

The argument that climate data spent the last several years roughly level was totally valid and definitely not ignoring the fact that global temperatures were supposed to fall significantly through that period. It's fine. Ignore it. 2+2≡5.
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14427 on: November 30, 2016, 06:45:29 pm »

Yeah, that ignores that there are both cyclic trends and long-term trends at work. If the long-term trend is warming, then it's going to alternate between "flat" periods (cyclic cooling) and rapid warming (when the cyclic trend and the longterm trend are pointing the same way).

But what do you expect from people who literally claim something called "winter" each year disproves global warming? And we expect them to understand cyclic trends longer than one year?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14428 on: November 30, 2016, 06:47:52 pm »

It was human caused though. Meanwhile, California is becoming even more of a tinderbox.

Apparently Trump is considering Palin for VA Secretary. I suppose the VA is where she'd do the least damage, and she is passonate about the issue.

And the most immediate conflict of interest Trump is going to have is the hotel he has leased, which is a couple blocks from the WH. Trump is saying he is trying to avoid conflicts of interest, but at this rate, he'll be running into it every second of every minute of every hour of every day the instant he gets inaugurated.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14429 on: November 30, 2016, 06:56:50 pm »

Froot Loops have been declared a civil rights issue for the right wing.

The right-wing news site Breitbart has declared “#WAR” on Kellogg’s, calling for a boycott of the cereal company’s products after they decided to cease advertising on the site.

On Tuesday, the Kellogg Company pulled their adverts from the site, saying that it wasn’t “aligned with our values”. Recent inflammatory stories include “Birth Control Makes Women Unattractive And Crazy”; “Data: Young Muslims In The West Are A Ticking Time-Bomb” and “Would You Rather Your Child Had Feminism Or Cancer?”.

“We regularly work with our media-buying partners to ensure our ads do not appear on sites that aren’t aligned with our values as a company,” Kris Charles, a spokeswoman for Kellogg’s, told Bloomberg. “We recently reviewed the list of sites where our ads can be placed and decided to discontinue advertising on Breitbart.com. We are working to remove our ads from that site.”

In response to Kellogg’s statement, Breitbart published a furious attack on the cereal company on Wednesday saying that the move represents “an escalation in the war by leftist companies ... against conservative customers”. Editor-in-chief Alexander Marlow called for a boycott of the company’s products, saying: “For Kellogg’s, an American brand, to blacklist Breitbart News in order to placate left-wing totalitarians is a disgraceful act of cowardice.”
« Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 07:00:31 pm by Reelya »
Pages: 1 ... 960 961 [962] 963 964 ... 1249