Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 954 955 [956] 957 958 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1393128 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: Post-Apocalypse
« Reply #14325 on: November 29, 2016, 12:31:23 pm »

Maybe you're thinking of Cold War stuff? However, Sweden has a longstanding policy of political neutrality (not unlike Switzerland, but for different reasons), so, it would have to be Norway that builds the icebreakers.

Swede, here. Nah, Sweden's neutrality only extends as far as keeping itself alliance free (and it is questionable whether it can be called even that for the last 70 or so years). Sweden actually has a pretty huge weapon industry (third biggest in the world in arms exports per capita, iirc), in the spirit and tradition of Alfred Nobel - yes, the one with the Nobel Prize - who invented dynamite and smoke-free blackpowder or whatever and created the Bofors weapon industry giant. Remember the number one pro of not being tangled up in any alliance or league - you can trade with both sides. Profit!

I'm pretty sure that we're required by law to build all of out military equipment in the US proper. A lot of our stuff is still produced by non-American companies, but the factories are physically located in the US, so outsourcing wouldn't really help here.

After mulling it over some in my head, I think what I was remembering actually was weapon research rather than weapon production, so yeah, that's very possible.

the President didn't believe the arctic was warming and thus no icebreakers are needed

I get the rest of your point, I just felt the need to point out how beautifully self-contradictive this issue sounds if you remove the context. "The arctic ice is melting, so we need more arctic icebreakers!"
Love, scriver~

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14326 on: November 29, 2016, 12:35:35 pm »

It's really gonna suck for the Russians when president trump melts steel beams all the ice and their icebreakers turn out to be wasted money.

Also for Florida, which will end up underwater.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #14327 on: November 29, 2016, 12:38:34 pm »

No, the point is that when the ice melts is when the ice breakers will be needed to access the arctic, because it will still be very, very cold for a large part of the year, just not all (or the majority) of it.
Love, scriver~

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14328 on: November 29, 2016, 12:55:23 pm »

No, the point is that when the ice melts is when the ice breakers will be needed to access the arctic, because it will still be very, very cold for a large part of the year, just not all (or the majority) of it.

Fun fact: although multi-year sea-ice has been steadily declining for most of the last decade, winter ice extent has not changed.  Causes of this are suspected to be global warming, but exact vehicles are still unknown.

In other words, although a blue-water navy might be able to use the arctic during the hottest part of the summer, they would be at the mercy of the ice during 3/4 of the year.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

Sprin

• Bay Watcher
  • I am Sprin Dragon, Master of Madness!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14329 on: November 29, 2016, 01:06:19 pm »

It's really gonna suck for the Russians when president trump melts steel beams all the ice and their icebreakers turn out to be wasted money.

Tbh florida deserves to be underwater
Quote from: Karnewarrior
HOW DID YOU KNOW I WAS LOOKING UP RULE 34 OF D*CKS?
Sprin is certifiably insane, but there is no denying his brilliance.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14330 on: November 29, 2016, 02:50:55 pm »

Tbh florida deserves to be underwater

Do you seriously want to deal with Floridian Mermaids? I sure as heck don't

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14331 on: November 29, 2016, 02:54:09 pm »

Do you seriously want to deal with Floridian Mermaids? I sure as heck don't

Florida Man 2: Terror From The Deep

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #14332 on: November 29, 2016, 02:55:40 pm »

I wonder if grapeseafruits taste nice
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14333 on: November 29, 2016, 04:17:06 pm »

Fun fact: although multi-year sea-ice has been steadily declining for most of the last decade, winter ice extent has not changed.  Causes of this are suspected to be global warming, but exact vehicles are still unknown
Causes are suspected to be global warming because everything is suspected to be global warming these days. In fact we had the PDO and AMO peaks coincide to lead to low extents, there is no death spiral, as various high profile shmucks like to predict, and polar bears aren't starving to death either.

Well, the ice cap up north is floating already, melting it... doesn't do anything to sea level, so sadly we aren't getting rid of our Floridaman infestation any time soon.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14334 on: November 29, 2016, 04:18:31 pm »

I read that polar bears are starving to death, man.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14335 on: November 29, 2016, 04:26:18 pm »

When? Various arctic scaremongers have been quiet lately. Wonder why? Just like the results which I'm sure you heard everyone talking about, where bears are doing fine, and though I can't find it recently there was another study about how efficiently they swim suggesting that the bears spending more time swimming lost less weight than the icebound bears did over the same time.

I think we need to remind people that polar bears will fuck your shit up, get them scared about it properly, then we might get some more widespread information about their health.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14336 on: November 29, 2016, 04:27:37 pm »

polarbearscience.com?

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14338 on: November 29, 2016, 04:35:35 pm »

When? Various arctic scaremongers have been quiet lately. Wonder why? Just like the results which I'm sure you heard everyone talking about, where bears are doing fine, and though I can't find it recently there was another study about how efficiently they swim suggesting that the bears spending more time swimming lost less weight than the icebound bears did over the same time.

I think we need to remind people that polar bears will fuck your shit up, get them scared about it properly, then we might get some more widespread information about their health.

Someday bears will have an aquatic species descended from them, heh. Maybe.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14339 on: November 29, 2016, 04:45:16 pm »

You laugh, but ambulocetus was pretty bearlike.
Pages: 1 ... 954 955 [956] 957 958 ... 1249