Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 944 945 [946] 947 948 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1393557 times)

Dozebôm Lolumzalěs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: Post-Apocalypse
« Reply #14175 on: November 28, 2016, 11:10:45 am »

Liberals are generally secular and conservatives are generally religious, yes, but there's plenty of both on either side.

And yeah, we need to chill out some in this thread before it really gets out of hand.
Sure, let's chill.

You know who annoys me? The atheist equivalent of SJWs. The 0.001% of atheists who will fly into a raeg if you tell them Merry Christmas. They give us all a bad name.

It's all an argument. Treat it like an argument. How do you exploit someone making a fallacy in an argument without merely calling them out on the fallacy?
"That's a fallacy..." then what? "Also you're wrong"?
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Dozebôm Lolumzalěs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #14176 on: November 28, 2016, 11:17:21 am »

Consider picking up a good book on the techniques of argument and rhetoric in a non-formal setting. Thank you for Arguing is one such book, and the one I recommend.
Thanks, it seems like a good and useful book, I'll see if my library system has it. (Thank Armok for a statewide library sharing network, or I'd go insane from lack of reading.)
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14177 on: November 28, 2016, 11:21:55 am »

Oh god, he actually said that?

(Googling 'trump says hillary clinton won popular vote fraud' brings up three news sites reporting the exact same thing and at least one cites his Twitter.)

Why, Trump.  Why.

(make it stop)
It gets better worse: Link to CNN transcipt of the interview with someone from Trump team:

And so he said he wouldn’t rule it out. He said it’s just not his focus right now. I think he’s being quite magnanimous and at the same time he’s not undercutting at all the authority and the autonomy of the Department of Justice, of the FBI, of the House Committees, who knows where the evidence may lead if, in fact, it were — if the investigation were re-opened somewhere.

But this is the president-elect’s position right now and I would say he has been incredibly gracious and magnanimous to Secretary Clinton at a time when for whatever reason her folks are saying they will join in a recount to try to somehow undo the 70 plus electoral votes that he beat her by. I mean this — you know, I was asked on CNN and elsewhere, goodness a thousand times, will Donald Trump accept the election results? And now you’ve got the Democrats and Jill Stein saying they do not accept the election results. She congratulated him and conceded to him on election night. I was right there. And the idea that we are going to drag this out now where the president-elect has been incredible y magnanimous to the Clintons and to the Obamas is incredible.
It could be interpreted as a threat to prosecute Clinton if the recount doesn't stop.

I wonder why Trump is so nervous about that recount, though. Could it be because an investigation would reveal evidence of FSB agents hacking voting machines, hmmm?

Or more likely he is just scared he'll lose, which is extremely unlikely unless some evidence of hacking crops up. He did the same thing before the election when he thought he wasn't going to win.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #14178 on: November 28, 2016, 11:26:34 am »

He's getting free point with the Republicans : the recount isn't even asked by the democrats as they dismissed the arguments for it.
Stein thought that it never harm to "trust but verify" and launched the initiative herself, and Trump, knowing that nothing would come out of it, used the opportunity to double down on how anti-system and daring he is.

Worst is : Democrats set themselves up for it with blowing his comment on accepting the election results out of proportion.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14179 on: November 28, 2016, 11:46:27 am »

Equally, it's just as valid to say that Clinton and her camp are hypocrites given all the 'Donald won't accept the result!' fearmongering they did that Phmcw is referring to here.

And Clinton asked for a recount when? Or anyone of importance in the Democratic party?

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14180 on: November 28, 2016, 11:48:46 am »

Didn't she come out in support of the recount recently or something?
Her campaign is taking part in it, but apparently it's normal for all involved parties to do that? I don't think she's said that she's expecting a change in the results.

Dozebôm Lolumzalěs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #14181 on: November 28, 2016, 11:51:53 am »

It is somewhat odd that the exit polls match up with the pre-election polls, though, while the election itself veers unexpectedly to the right. It could be the un-PC effect, it could be fraud, who knows.

I have always thought it suspicious that the elections vary from the pre-election polls by within the margin of error, but usually favouring Republicans.
Sigtext!

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14182 on: November 28, 2016, 11:56:18 am »

Still, I'd say that all of this calling for a recount is a bit ridiculous.
I dunno. There are three contributing factors:
  • Fears that Russian hackers (who have allegedly acted before to influence this election, albeit not nearly as directly) messed with electronic voting machines
  • A 7% popular vote difference between paper ballots and electronic voting machines
  • A significant difference between the results of exit polls and the actual vote
Combined, I think that these might justify a recount. Am I expecting them to find anything? No, but it's reasonably possible.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14183 on: November 28, 2016, 11:58:47 am »

It is somewhat odd that the exit polls match up with the pre-election polls, though, while the election itself veers unexpectedly to the right. It could be the un-PC effect, it could be fraud, who knows.

I have always thought it suspicious that the elections vary from the pre-election polls by within the margin of error, but usually favouring Republicans.

Bias on the part of the pollsters could explain some of that.

Yes, the recount is a bit ridiculous as it's extremely unlikely to change anything, but it's more of a 'lets look into this anomaly' thing than a 'I challenge the results' kind of thing.

Also, a federally mandated (and done correctly) audit of the votes would likely have allayed some of the uncertainity.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #14184 on: November 28, 2016, 11:59:33 am »

Totally unrelated, why are there no Democrats on the national stage who are under 70?
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Dozebôm Lolumzalěs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #14186 on: November 28, 2016, 12:02:17 pm »

A 7% popular vote difference between paper ballots and electronic voting machines
Nooooo, that's not a thing, they forgot to account for demographical differences. Confounding factors and whatnot.

Because we had not uncovered any actionable evidence of hacking or outside attempts to alter the voting technology, we had not planned to exercise this option ourselves, but now that a recount has been initiated in Wisconsin, we intend to participate in order to ensure the process proceeds in a manner that is fair to all sides.

From their press release. They didn't ask for it, clearly and stress that they don't have a cause.

That doesn't actually have a url...
Sigtext!

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14187 on: November 28, 2016, 12:15:08 pm »

Now it has.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14188 on: November 28, 2016, 12:20:54 pm »

If Trump is so concerned about rigging, why doesn't he have the Republicans go and observe the proccess, if only to 'make sure that the dirty liberals don't rig THAT proccess up'? It smacks of hypocrisy to blame the Dems for rigging when he won.

uber pye

• Bay Watcher
  • murderhobo extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14189 on: November 28, 2016, 12:45:32 pm »

If Trump is so concerned about rigging, why doesn't he have the Republicans go and observe the proccess, if only to 'make sure that the dirty liberals don't rig THAT proccess up'? It smacks of hypocrisy to blame the Dems for rigging when he won.

I think now Trump is afraid that they are calling for a recount so they can temper with the vote.
"Immortal" just means that you haven't killed it hard enough

X-MAS TIME!!!!!
the mad immortal child! xmas themed
Pages: 1 ... 944 945 [946] 947 948 ... 1249