Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 945 946 [947] 948 949 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1393519 times)

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: Post-Apocalypse
« Reply #14190 on: November 28, 2016, 12:50:50 pm »

If Trump is so concerned about rigging, why doesn't he have the Republicans go and observe the proccess, if only to 'make sure that the dirty liberals don't rig THAT proccess up'? It smacks of hypocrisy to blame the Dems for rigging when he won.

I think now Trump is afraid that they are calling for a recount so they can temper with the vote.
Tamper. To temper is to tune an instrument, or to improve a metal's consistency through various methods. To tamper is to interfere with or alter, usually with a connotation of illegal or unethical behavior.

Etymology Man awaaaaay!
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14191 on: November 28, 2016, 12:54:19 pm »

If Trump is so concerned about rigging, why doesn't he have the Republicans go and observe the proccess, if only to 'make sure that the dirty liberals don't rig THAT proccess up'? It smacks of hypocrisy to blame the Dems for rigging when he won.

I think now Trump is afraid that they are calling for a recount so they can temper with the vote.
Tamper. To temper is to tune an instrument, or to improve a metal's consistency through various methods. To tamper is to interfere with or alter, usually with a connotation of illegal or unethical behavior.

Etymology Man awaaaaay!
Thankye.  I shall resume my usual spelling pedantry, emboldened by your example.  ;P
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

uber pye

• Bay Watcher
  • murderhobo extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14192 on: November 28, 2016, 01:08:51 pm »

Etymology Man awaaaaay!

woops, thank you for saving the day, Etymology Man!
"Immortal" just means that you haven't killed it hard enough

X-MAS TIME!!!!!
the mad immortal child! xmas themed

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14193 on: November 28, 2016, 01:16:20 pm »

Probably because then if something does come up he wouldn't be able to play the "they rigged it" card because his people would have been there to ostensibly make sure nothing shady happens. And since making anything clear or unambiguous runs counter to Trump's whole strategy, joining in is the surest path to either wasting resources or uncovering shady business without having the precious recourse of claiming he was barred from overseeing that things proceeded on the up and up and thus clearly somebody fucked with the results in the recount.

That's not to say there's something to uncover - there probably isn't. This might just be a guy being investigated getting cagey about there potentially getting incriminated for something he didn't legitimately do, an understandable fear for anybody with a passing familiarity with neuroses.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2016, 01:18:56 pm by Harry Baldman »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14194 on: November 28, 2016, 01:25:16 pm »

Except that he isn't being barred, and his claims are being denounced bipartisanially.

Anyhoo, Stein is now moving to file recount requests in Pennsylvania.

Also, that Ohio State University attack may have been a terror attack, but no conclusive proof in that direction as it hasn't been excluded as a motive either. However, the method has all the hallmarks of one.

I think we all know what Trump is going to say about this....

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14195 on: November 28, 2016, 01:29:26 pm »

Just because he wasn't being barred doesn't mean he can't claim he was being barred. For god's sake, this is the man currently saying he lost the popular vote as part of a coordinated campaign of election fraud that involved getting 3 million illegal aliens to vote against him.

And I think we all know how well bipartisan denouncements have worked against him in the past.

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14196 on: November 28, 2016, 01:35:39 pm »

So, as a counter argument to all the "conservatives/republicans are scientifically illiterate" claims, here is some data.  From Pew.  About half way down the page:

Republicans and Democrats have about the same level of scientific knowledge.  Interestingly, conservative republicans outperform the average US adult.  Liberal democrats do outperform conservative republicans, but, as noted, they tend to be the entire population of colleges.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14197 on: November 28, 2016, 01:39:50 pm »

How come they tend to make up the entire population of colleges and universities though? Obviously not ALL colleges and universities as there are going to be some with sizeable conservative populations, but the question that needs asking here I guess is, why did it end up that way with liberals tending to make up the entire populations of colleges and universities.

Answering that would likely go a good ways towards answering how we got to this situation in the first place with the divide.

Vilanat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14198 on: November 28, 2016, 01:43:45 pm »

Ten days old but "Obama urges Trump to stand up to Russia". if it wasn't so sad, it would have been hilarious.
But he added that he hoped Mr Trump was "willing to stand up to Russia when they deviate from our values and international norms".
This meant, he said, refraining from taking a "realpolitik approach" and cutting deals that could "hurt people or... violate international norms... leave smaller countries vulnerable, or create long-term problems in regions like Syria".

That's just gold. but the real problem is that most wont even realize what's even wrong with this quote coming from Obama.

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14199 on: November 28, 2016, 01:48:21 pm »

Etymology Man awaaaaay!

Even more fun: temper takes a subject, but if you are tempering with something, you are not tempering the something.  E.g. I will temper the sword with a hammer.  I could also say "I will temper with the hammer" and leave the subject of the tempering ambiguous. 

smjjames: answering that question will probably take a lot of research.  I know that the university I am currently attending, because of who its sponsoring organization is, is rather more to the right than universities normally are.  If I had to guess, many conservatives don't feel comfortable surrounded by progressives, so once the scale started to tip toward progressive faculty fewer and fewer conservatives joined university faculty.  Also, many whole departments (e.g. gender studies) are going to be shunned by conservatives.  Finally, with the rise of "speech codes" on college campuses, conservative thinkers who speak out on campus are often persecuted for doing so (e.g. people getting a pro-life group banned from a campus for putting up "Unborn Lives Matter" posters).
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14200 on: November 28, 2016, 01:48:55 pm »

Ten days old but "Obama urges Trump to stand up to Russia". if it wasn't so sad, it would have been hilarious.
But he added that he hoped Mr Trump was "willing to stand up to Russia when they deviate from our values and international norms".
This meant, he said, refraining from taking a "realpolitik approach" and cutting deals that could "hurt people or... violate international norms... leave smaller countries vulnerable, or create long-term problems in regions like Syria".

That's just gold. but the real problem is that most wont even realize what's even wrong with this quote coming from Obama.

I can see what you're getting at, basically he is being hypocritical because drones, not sure on violate international norms (probably drones again, not sure on leaving smaller countries vulnerable, and he didn't create the situation in Syria, Assad did. Though it's arguable that the West made it worse through inaction.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #14201 on: November 28, 2016, 02:05:27 pm »

Etymology Man awaaaaay!

Even more fun: temper takes a subject, but if you are tempering with something, you are not tempering the something.  E.g. I will temper the sword with a hammer.  I could also say "I will temper with the hammer" and leave the subject of the tempering ambiguous.
And you don't tamper a lock, you tamper with a lock. Very interesting.
smjjames: answering that question will probably take a lot of research.  I know that the university I am currently attending, because of who its sponsoring organization is, is rather more to the right than universities normally are.  If I had to guess, many conservatives don't feel comfortable surrounded by progressives, so once the scale started to tip toward progressive faculty fewer and fewer conservatives joined university faculty.  Also, many whole departments (e.g. gender studies) are going to be shunned by conservatives.  Finally, with the rise of "speech codes" on college campuses, conservative thinkers who speak out on campus are often persecuted for doing so (e.g. people getting a pro-life group banned from a campus for putting up "Unborn Lives Matter" posters).
Okay, so we know how slight political trends can be amplified, but how did that slight political trend originate in the first place?

I hypothesize that as working-class liberals left the party, the party was made up of more middle- and upper-class individuals, and that these people are more likely to go to college. Wait a sec, though - this wouldn't explain the shift within colleges; it would explain why more liberals are college students, but not why more college students are liberal.
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14202 on: November 28, 2016, 02:12:38 pm »

Okay, so we know how slight political trends can be amplified, but how did that slight political trend originate in the first place?

I hypothesize that as working-class liberals left the party, the party was made up of more middle- and upper-class individuals, and that these people are more likely to go to college. Wait a sec, though - this wouldn't explain the shift within colleges; it would explain why more liberals are college students, but not why more college students are liberal.

Rockphed probably explained that somewhat, for why more college students are liberal, because more colleges and universities have a liberal bent. It doesn't satisfactorially explain it though I don't think as it explains the end result, not how it started.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #14203 on: November 28, 2016, 02:14:45 pm »

Rockphed probably explained that somewhat, for why more college students are liberal, because more colleges and universities have a liberal bent. It doesn't satisfactorially explain it though I don't think as it explains the end result, not how it started.
Clarification, please. What does it mean for a college to be liberal? Liberal students, liberal faculty, liberal arts, statues of famous liberals strewn around the place, run in an anarchic way?
Sigtext!

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14204 on: November 28, 2016, 02:20:58 pm »

There's also the whole thing where conservative students probably aren't as dominated by their feefees and wanting to get a degree in mayan basket weaving theory or whatever nonsense is in these days.
Pages: 1 ... 945 946 [947] 948 949 ... 1249