Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 924 925 [926] 927 928 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1394864 times)

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: Post-Apocalypse
« Reply #13875 on: November 23, 2016, 10:46:02 pm »

more, once the trigger is pulled, you cant recall the bullet.

the gun is fired.

welcome to the new future.
Not if we nuke the atmosphere back into ice age, haHA, take that, nature!
._.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13876 on: November 23, 2016, 10:48:22 pm »

even if you could reduce solar forcing an appreciable amount, methane is insanely more powerful than co2 at trapping heat. the earth itself releases heat from the mantle through the oceans. the methane is a damn pressure cooker lid slammed on the planet.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13877 on: November 23, 2016, 10:50:05 pm »

then how did it get there in the first place, if it's so powerful

how comes we don't already have an atmosphere choke full of methane
._.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13878 on: November 23, 2016, 10:52:52 pm »

it is a product of carbon rich compounds in sediment being subducted into the mantle, denaturated, and released near continental shelves.

the earth has been cool enough that a special ice {clathrate} forms that deep that traps it over geological time.

then humans had to be idiots and upset the environment....

now the ice is melting, the methane is entering the atmosphere, increasing temps further, melting more ice, releasing more methane...... you get the idea.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2016, 10:54:25 pm by wierd »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13879 on: November 23, 2016, 10:54:06 pm »

even if you could reduce solar forcing an appreciable amount, methane is insanely more powerful than co2 at trapping heat. the earth itself releases heat from the mantle through the oceans. the methane is a damn pressure cooker lid slammed on the planet.

Sergarr was just trying to be funny.

Also, we have all those cows farting out methane, which doesn't help much either.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13881 on: November 23, 2016, 10:57:22 pm »

Sergarr was just trying to be funny.

Also, we have all those cows farting out methane, which doesn't help much either.
Cow are a solved (?) problem.

it is a product of carbon rich compounds in sediment being subducted into the mantle, denaturated, and released near continental shelves.

the earth has been cool enough that a special ice {clathrate} forms that deep that traps it over geological time.

then humans had to be idiots and upset the environment....

now the ice is melting, the methane is entering the atmosphere, increasing temps further, melting more ice, releasing more methane...... you get the idea.
I still don't see why nuking the atmosphere won't be able to solve this problem. Nuclear winter FTW, take two apocalypses and make them take each other out, woo!
._.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13882 on: November 23, 2016, 10:59:51 pm »

again, heat is generated inside the earth from atomic decay of heavy radio isotopes. this is what powers convection of the mantle, what enables the geomagnetic dynamo, and allows continents to move.

that heat has to escape the planet too.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13883 on: November 23, 2016, 11:04:15 pm »

Hadn't heard about the seaweed thing for cows.

I wonder what the state of the clathrate was during the late Paleozoic (Carboniferous, Permian) and most of the Mesozoic (Triassic, Jurassic periods. The Cretaceous got cooler on average), those were pretty warm periods. Warmer than now that's for sure.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13884 on: November 23, 2016, 11:04:37 pm »

again, heat is generated inside the earth from atomic decay of heavy radio isotopes. this is what powers convection of the mantle, what enables the geomagnetic dynamo, and allows continents to move.

If that heat alone was enough to make that ice melt, then it wouldn't have fucking formed in the first place, duh. You've said it yourself - the mechanism involves atmospheric heat, so if you remove that, you freeze the bullet.
._.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13885 on: November 23, 2016, 11:06:51 pm »

yess... if there wasnt already epic fucktons of the stuff wrapping the planet like a blanket, which there is.

on the ocean floor, its fine.  when the heat cant escape the planet, because of the amount already in the atmosphere, then any source of heat will drive more forcing.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13886 on: November 23, 2016, 11:07:37 pm »

If that heat alone was enough to make that ice melt, then it wouldn't have fucking formed in the first place, duh. You've said it yourself - the mechanism involves atmospheric heat, so if you remove that, you freeze the bullet.

You'd have to remove the atmosphere to remove atmospheric heat. /s

Ninjad by weird with less sarcasm.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13887 on: November 23, 2016, 11:12:49 pm »

aggressive atmospheric scrubbing and sequestration in a geologically stable form might avert or mitigate the disaster if we did it on a truly colossal scale, but the economin costs would bankrupt the planet.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13888 on: November 23, 2016, 11:17:38 pm »

Hadn't heard about the seaweed thing for cows.

I wonder what the state of the clathrate was during the late Paleozoic (Carboniferous, Permian) and most of the Mesozoic (Triassic, Jurassic periods. The Cretaceous got cooler on average), those were pretty warm periods. Warmer than now that's for sure.

i would have to research it more carefully, but my armchair opinion is the driving greegouse gasses were co2 and water, and that clathrate ices were not being produced/stored up like we have now, as the carbon was inside organisms, or being deposited in what are now our oil fields.

methane is 36 times more powerful than co2.  different atmosphere, different equilibrium.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13889 on: November 23, 2016, 11:20:03 pm »

Plus there would have to be the political will everywhere and everybody would have to work together, which is a difficult task.

Doesn't mean we can't do nothing however.
Pages: 1 ... 924 925 [926] 927 928 ... 1249