Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 926 927 [928] 929 930 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1394486 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: Post-Apocalypse
« Reply #13905 on: November 24, 2016, 05:15:48 am »

That's Canada's CBC news network, and here it is in on Australia's ABC news. Both the CBC and ABC are cousins of the BBC and are well-regarded news sources:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-10-19/environmental-concerns-cows-eating-seaweed/7946630
The ongoing research was done at a university in Australia with funding from CSIRO, which is Australia's federal science funding body. The scientist was in Canada before, which is why the CBC was running that story. It's not American tech, which is why they're not covering it. Here's the paper via the CSIRO:
http://www.publish.csiro.au/an/AN15576
Although I think if you think that story was BS, your BS detector is broken. Fake stories tend to have a clear spin to them, and there's no real "spin" involved in feeding seaweed to cattle. What "similar" BS stories can you point me to?

BTW the reason that cattle feed is a good target for greenhouse gas emissions is that it's something you can implement fast once the money is there. Phasing in electric cars will take decades - gasoline car sales are still increasing. But changing cattle feed can be rolled out quite quickly once production is up and running, and would knock 20% of total worldwide greenhouse gas emissions. What other program can do that for the price of some seaweed?
« Last Edit: November 24, 2016, 05:58:40 am by Reelya »

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #13906 on: November 24, 2016, 05:30:23 am »

LoSboccacc ,are we supposed to provide political education or not?

Ah but that's the problem. I think we're supposed to provide civic education, but who'd control it to keep it unbiased?

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13907 on: November 24, 2016, 06:00:21 am »

People can't even agree on what "unbiased" even means. And even if they could agree on what it was, I doubt they'd agree on someone to entrust to ensuring lack of bias.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #13908 on: November 24, 2016, 06:58:35 am »

What "similar" BS stories can you point me to?
I didn't mean you personally. I just meant the trend nowadays of official media like even the BBC taking facebook news and such at face value.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #13909 on: November 24, 2016, 08:51:13 am »

Not to paraphrase the article, but rather to prime the reader, I ask: Must everyone with an identity answer for the excesses of the few? What if that few work for what they see as the best interest of the identity?
Eh. They don't have to answer for those excesses, really, so long as they're actually just of the few. For all the extremes have been an issue the bigger issue has always been the rest of the folks that support and enable them. Y'ain't really gotta' speak up but maybe don't give them money and vote for 'em. Be leery about what they're supporting, that sort of thing. Don't have to run around shouting denouements, but keep that shit out yo' house as much as it's safe to do so.

As for the best interest thing, fuck that noise. Best interest isn't zero sum in regards to the stuff being talked about and never bloody has been. If those few see the situation as being so they're no longer working in your best interests even if they've deluded themselves into thinking they are. They've gone from someone sharing your identity to someone actively attacking it, at that point, and should be reacted to accordingly.

... thaaat said. Again, it's worth noting that turnout wise, the increase in dog whistling and outright whistling didn't really help much, exactly. Maybe helped depress things, but it didn't increase the voting share to particularly notable degrees. It's going to be an issue, particularly if the left-wing media keeps sucking the alt-right and co. off, too, but it's questionable if there's actually been much of a rise in it. So far as that front goes m'personally not really sure if there needs to be much change in direction. What we've been doing over the years seems to be workin', maybe not as quickly as'd be nice, but working. Reacting to this shit like some kind of jump scare instead of somethin' we've known was there the whole time might not be particularly wise.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #13910 on: November 24, 2016, 09:03:21 am »

Don't have to run around shouting denouements

I agree, you won't get much done by telling people he married the princess and they lived happily ever after. :P

Sorry, I have nothing to add. I just thought that was a humourous typo.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13911 on: November 24, 2016, 09:28:48 am »

Apparently Trump doesn't like being informed. Unlike, say, his Vice-President, Pence.

Trump turning away intelligence briefers since election win

President-elect Donald Trump has received two classified intelligence briefings since his surprise election victory earlier this month, a frequency that is notably lower — at least so far — than that of his predecessors, current and former U.S. officials said.

A team of intelligence analysts has been prepared to deliver daily briefings on global developments and security threats to Trump in the two weeks since he won. Vice President-elect Mike Pence, by contrast, has set aside time for intelligence briefings almost every day since the election, officials said.

Officials involved in the Trump transition team cautioned against assigning any significance to the briefing schedule that the president-elect has set so far, noting that he has been immersed in the work of forming his administration, and has made filling key national security posts his top priority.

But others have interpreted Trump’s limited engagement with his briefing team as an additional sign of indifference from a president-elect who has no meaningful experience on national security issues and was dismissive of U.S. intelligence agencies’ capabilities and findings during the campaign.

A senior U.S. official who receives the same briefing delivered to President Obama each day said that devoting time to such sessions would help Trump get up to speed on world events.
Dick Cheney, version 2?
._.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #13912 on: November 24, 2016, 09:38:11 am »

Don't have to run around shouting denouements

I agree, you won't get much done by telling people he married the princess and they lived happily ever after. :P

Sorry, I have nothing to add. I just thought that was a humourous typo.
... y'know, I'm just going to leave it. Can't seem to figure out what the actual word I was looking for there is, and it's too early to be dealing with this memory crap.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13913 on: November 24, 2016, 09:43:10 am »

I'll believe it when I see it. Trump is too prideful and wrathful to follow the passivity of Dubya, while Pence lacks Cheney's Sith powers of persuasion and corruption. Pence will try like the creepy little fuck he is, but I fully expect Trump to shrug off his direction on principle in favor of winging it.

It will be glorious.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13914 on: November 24, 2016, 09:44:28 am »

Apparently Trump doesn't like being informed. Unlike, say, his Vice-President, Pence.

Trump turning away intelligence briefers since election win

President-elect Donald Trump has received two classified intelligence briefings since his surprise election victory earlier this month, a frequency that is notably lower — at least so far — than that of his predecessors, current and former U.S. officials said.

A team of intelligence analysts has been prepared to deliver daily briefings on global developments and security threats to Trump in the two weeks since he won. Vice President-elect Mike Pence, by contrast, has set aside time for intelligence briefings almost every day since the election, officials said.

Officials involved in the Trump transition team cautioned against assigning any significance to the briefing schedule that the president-elect has set so far, noting that he has been immersed in the work of forming his administration, and has made filling key national security posts his top priority.

But others have interpreted Trump’s limited engagement with his briefing team as an additional sign of indifference from a president-elect who has no meaningful experience on national security issues and was dismissive of U.S. intelligence agencies’ capabilities and findings during the campaign.

A senior U.S. official who receives the same briefing delivered to President Obama each day said that devoting time to such sessions would help Trump get up to speed on world events.
Dick Cheney, version 2?

There were already signs of him aspiring to that, not least being that Dick Cheney is Pence's role model.

I said a while back (MANY pages back) that it looked like we were heading towards another 'idiot/fool head of state/government, but powerful prime minister/VP' type situation.

I'll believe it when I see it. Trump is too prideful and wrathful to follow the passivity of Dubya, while Pence lacks Cheney's Sith powers of persuasion and corruption. Pence will try like the creepy little fuck he is, but I fully expect Trump to shrug off his direction on principle in favor of winging it.

It will be glorious.

The dynamic is there however.....

Also, Trump not adhering to daily briefings is going to be a major problem, especially if a crisis shows up.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13915 on: November 24, 2016, 10:01:23 am »

Reality distortion fields have side effects. News at 11.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #13916 on: November 24, 2016, 10:46:02 am »

So apparently Jill Stein already managed to raise enough money online for a vote recount in Winconsin, Michigan and Pennsylvania.
http://www.volkskrant.nl/buitenland/hertelling-drie-staten-vs-dichterbij-na-miljoenenactie-groene-partij~a4421559/
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13917 on: November 24, 2016, 10:51:04 am »

So apparently Jill Stein already managed to raise enough money online for a vote recount in Winconsin, Michigan and Pennsylvania.
http://www.volkskrant.nl/buitenland/hertelling-drie-staten-vs-dichterbij-na-miljoenenactie-groene-partij~a4421559/

Yep. Also, an english article: https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/nov/23/jill-stein-election-recount-fund-michigan-wisconsin-pennsylvania

Although the Guardian article says she only has enough for Wisconsin atm, I think.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2016, 10:55:56 am by smjjames »

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #13918 on: November 24, 2016, 11:15:48 am »

Huh. Well, we'll see how it goes. But I am uncertain whether anything will come out of it. That said, I am glad it's Jill Stein asking for a recount as opposed to Hillary. One would have people boiling beneath her skin if she called for a recount. The other, it's par for the course.
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13919 on: November 24, 2016, 11:18:06 am »

I sorta doubt that anything will happen, there doesn't really seem to be any evidence other then "it didn't turn out how we wanted/expected." At least, that I've seen. I could very well be wrong there.
Pages: 1 ... 926 927 [928] 929 930 ... 1249