Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 910 911 [912] 913 914 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1395564 times)

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: Post-Apocalypse
« Reply #13665 on: November 22, 2016, 05:15:57 am »

Is Trump Tower owned by Trump personally, or by one of his business? If the latter, he should move out, conflict of interests and all that..
I don't think Trump cares about "conflict of interests". Nor do most Republicans who voted for him, for that matter.
._.

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13666 on: November 22, 2016, 05:16:16 am »

Hopefully the USA will find ways to deal with their new toxic president.
I feel for the immigrants in the US

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13667 on: November 22, 2016, 05:44:10 am »

I'm saying the surprising thing would be if there was outrage about it, indeed part of the problem is framed in the post I replied to. "I'm surprised the government can do this to it's own people" you said? The only ones they really treat like their own are ones like me with enough ancestry from elsewhere to have merged into being part of "it's own people" rather than trying to be their own people.

What? I never said that, or anything like it.
Sorry, I didn't mean to attribute it to you, I was referencing where you were talking about others saying that: "Its direct contradiction to every time someone tells me the government isn't willing to brutalize its own people if it really needs to to get its way, or the way of its corporate allies."

I am not SalmonGod.
Whoops, was distracted while talking and just noted the similar length/first/last letters in the preview screen.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13668 on: November 22, 2016, 06:31:36 am »

Shadowlord confirmed for salmongod.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #13669 on: November 22, 2016, 08:16:04 am »

I thought that did not apply for anything he does before being inaugurated
Any cases against him would still get suspended when he enters into Presidency and until he stops being the Lawgiver President.
This is explicitly untrue, serg. Anything already in process will continue, any charges or suits from before the at-least election will still be in play. It's pretty strongly arguable that anything not done specifically as part of his presidential duties is similarly unprotected, which means it's significantly likely further lawsuits (beyond the few dozen he's currently involved in) may be pressed before his term ends.

The precedent that exists on the subject came from clinton's term, amusingly enough. Extra points that it was apparently conway's husband that did a fair bit of the legal work that got it to and through the SCOTUS.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13670 on: November 22, 2016, 08:19:53 am »

Well, okay technically yes, they can still prosecute him.

But, uh, do you really think that the lawsuits would still proceed against Trump? I think he has already settled the Trump University one for 25 million dollars, and he's probably going to settle all the others, too.

That, or they'll just drop the charges on their own, because making an enemy out of a POTUS with a short hair-trigger like Donald Trump, and with full support of all branches of government on the idea of "squashing the Dems", doesn't seem like a particularly wise move.
._.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #13671 on: November 22, 2016, 08:23:48 am »

Ah, so it's like papal infallability.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13672 on: November 22, 2016, 08:26:22 am »

Honestly I think ALL of America are going to feel this one.

Then again I don't believe in tinkle down economics or that the corporate elite should run the country.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 08:28:07 am by Neonivek »

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #13673 on: November 22, 2016, 08:30:58 am »

Honestly I think ALL of America are going to feel this one.

Then again I don't believe in tinkle down economics or that the corporate elite should run the country.
Err. That would be trickle-down economics, not tinkle-down economics. That would be the rich pissing all over...

Never mind, you've got it right.

Ah, so it's like papal infallability.
Ah, yes, the good ol' "the Pope is infallible until he disagrees with me" clause. And it's sub-entry, the "Never Talk About the Middle Ages" clause.
Something tells me there's a very interesting part of history that I've never heard of... But I was referring to "The Pope is infallible about religious stuff, but not about anything else, e.g., gambling, stock market prediction, etc."
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #13674 on: November 22, 2016, 08:35:37 am »

But, uh, do you really think that the lawsuits would still proceed against Trump? I think he has already settled the Trump University one for 25 million dollars, and he's probably going to settle all the others, too.

That, or they'll just drop the charges on their own, because making an enemy out of a POTUS with a short hair-trigger like Donald Trump, and with full support of all branches of government on the idea of "squashing the Dems", doesn't seem like a particularly wise move.
Oh, he was probably going to settle many or most regardless. But do I think some or many will keep fighting? Would say it's pretty likely. You seem to forget that for a lot of chunks of this country there's no "making" an enemy out of this POTUS, because he's coming into office having already declared himself one and at the head of a lot of people that have been declaring themselves such for many a year. The political control isn't really as iron-clad as would be necessary to be enough of a threat to really cow folks, and there's a fair chunk of incentive to start sticking monkey wrenches in as many things as possible. Maybe if the SC manages to get stacked or the 2018 elections go really badly for the country dems, but for the next couple years it ain't there, yet.
Ask not!
Ask!

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #13675 on: November 22, 2016, 08:42:37 am »

and he's probably going to settle all the others, too.
Wouldn't a settlement in a rape case be like, illegal prostitution?
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #13676 on: November 22, 2016, 08:47:31 am »

You can't settle criminal proceedings though, can you?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13677 on: November 22, 2016, 09:02:42 am »

"Or they'll just drop the charges on their own". As far as I know, that's already happening with at least some of those 13 sexual assault cases against Donald Trump.

Oh, he was probably going to settle many or most regardless. But do I think some or many will keep fighting? Would say it's pretty likely. You seem to forget that for a lot of chunks of this country there's no "making" an enemy out of this POTUS, because he's coming into office having already declared himself one and at the head of a lot of people that have been declaring themselves such for many a year. The political control isn't really as iron-clad as would be necessary to be enough of a threat to really cow folks, and there's a fair chunk of incentive to start sticking monkey wrenches in as many things as possible. Maybe if the SC manages to get stacked or the 2018 elections go really badly for the country dems, but for the next couple years it ain't there, yet.
Eh, we'll see.

By the way, how likely are Republicans to be able to push through amendments to a National Voter Act? And what could that potentially cause for Republican's long-term future? Could they suppress the black/latino vote entirely?
._.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #13678 on: November 22, 2016, 09:04:42 am »

You can, actually. There's some fairly strong limitations on settlement being for money, but criminal cases are settled pretty regularly. Usually admission of guilt for reduced sentence kinda things, iirc.
Ask not!
Ask!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13679 on: November 22, 2016, 09:08:32 am »

You can, actually. There's some fairly strong limitations on settlement being for money, but criminal cases are settled pretty regularly. Usually admission of guilt for reduced sentence kinda things, iirc.

It is a practice that has some serious problems mind you... only continued because it is cheaper then not having it.

Though in the places that prevented plea bargaining they notice the justice system functioned significantly better, even the police started to search for evidence properly.
Pages: 1 ... 910 911 [912] 913 914 ... 1249