Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 909 910 [911] 912 913 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1395198 times)

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: Post-Apocalypse
« Reply #13650 on: November 22, 2016, 12:33:35 am »

Oh, and to anyone in New Jersey who was offended by my earlier statement: I am so sorry, not about what I said, but that you're in New Jersey.

I'm saying the surprising thing would be if there was outrage about it, indeed part of the problem is framed in the post I replied to. "I'm surprised the government can do this to it's own people" you said? The only ones they really treat like their own are ones like me with enough ancestry from elsewhere to have merged into being part of "it's own people" rather than trying to be their own people.

What? I never said that, or anything like it.
Sorry, I didn't mean to attribute it to you, I was referencing where you were talking about others saying that: "Its direct contradiction to every time someone tells me the government isn't willing to brutalize its own people if it really needs to to get its way, or the way of its corporate allies."

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13651 on: November 22, 2016, 12:41:04 am »

I'm saying the surprising thing would be if there was outrage about it, indeed part of the problem is framed in the post I replied to. "I'm surprised the government can do this to it's own people" you said? The only ones they really treat like their own are ones like me with enough ancestry from elsewhere to have merged into being part of "it's own people" rather than trying to be their own people.

What? I never said that, or anything like it.
Sorry, I didn't mean to attribute it to you, I was referencing where you were talking about others saying that: "Its direct contradiction to every time someone tells me the government isn't willing to brutalize its own people if it really needs to to get its way, or the way of its corporate allies."

I am not SalmonGod.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #13652 on: November 22, 2016, 01:29:20 am »

Oh, yeah.  I'm with you on that, Max.  I'm not at all surprised.  I'm one of the people who firmly believes that today's elite are just as willing to bulldoze any human obstacle to their interests as they were 100 years ago or more.  I just think that power structures operate in less tangible fashion in modern day.  Their power over us is expressed in limited choices that all serve their interests, and culturally programming anyone who rejects or subverts those choices as responsible for their own undoing.  So overt displays of power aren't often necessary.  But when someone manages to make themselves troublesome, the willing and ableness to curb stomp them with fuck all regard to legality and ethics is still very much there.  We've seen at least 7 state governments contribute shameless proof of that for ongoing months now.  What bothers me is how very often I get opposition any time implication of that belief slips into conversation.  It's so very important that I recognize we left all that stuff behind somewhere in the 50s or something.  But when things like this happen, none of the modern-world-is-so-civilized types seem to ever process what it means for their world view, and how we should think about relationships of power.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13653 on: November 22, 2016, 01:39:54 am »

You're about in the middle-top of the page for me Tiruin. Using 25 posts per page I believe.

NC Governor and the Republican candidate for state auditor cry voting fraud as they lose. The only fraud in NC is voter suppression :P .

So the hundreds of ballots, nominally done by different people, all filled out by a half dozen people aren't suspicious?  Or the hundreds of people who are dead who voted?  Or the 90,000 ballots found in the trunk of a car?  Yeah, no voter fraud here.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13654 on: November 22, 2016, 01:42:21 am »

Yeah right. So far, the only false ballots I've seen validated by the electoral board of NC are a group of 40 ballots. Everything else is allegation.

Give me a fuckin break. The state electoral board is even Republican controlled and even they aren't buying this shit. Do you honestly think if anybody did find a group of 90k ballots in a car trunk that McCory wouldn't seize on it in a second?
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13655 on: November 22, 2016, 03:14:52 am »

http://www.news.com.au/finance/business/media/donald-trumps-media-summit-was-a-fing-firing-squad/news-story/c551cd968ef577dd7feee1683b2a076b

Trump had a meeting with all the news network people and spent the entire time ranting about liberal mainstream media and how they're all evil liars. By name, pointing out specific people in the room. At least we know they've been told now, and Trump will get glowing coverage from the media from now on.

Also, with the TPP scrapped, China's free trade zone plan is looking much stronger. China was specifically excluded from the TPP, whereas they have their own plan they're pushing through APEC. Fine, scrap the TPP which would have made an America-centric trade zone in the pacific which excluded China. China will be more than happy to have their alternative China-centric one signed into law.
http://www.apec.org/about-us/about-apec/fact-sheets/regional-economic-integration-agenda.aspx
« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 03:24:50 am by Reelya »

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #13656 on: November 22, 2016, 03:57:27 am »

The media involved should sue him for libel. Plus sue him for endangering the rights of journalists to be able to do their job independantly.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13657 on: November 22, 2016, 04:02:28 am »

What? You can't sue somebody for that.

Besides, even if they accepted that you can sue the President-elect but not the President, any suit would just become frozen in January.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13658 on: November 22, 2016, 04:02:33 am »

http://www.news.com.au/finance/business/media/donald-trumps-media-summit-was-a-fing-firing-squad/news-story/c551cd968ef577dd7feee1683b2a076b

Trump had a meeting with all the news network people and spent the entire time ranting about liberal mainstream media and how they're all evil liars. By name, pointing out specific people in the room. At least we know they've been told now, and Trump will get glowing coverage from the media from now on.

Also, with the TPP scrapped, China's free trade zone plan is looking much stronger. China was specifically excluded from the TPP, whereas they have their own plan they're pushing through APEC. Fine, scrap the TPP which would have made an America-centric trade zone in the pacific which excluded China. China will be more than happy to have their alternative China-centric one signed into law.
http://www.apec.org/about-us/about-apec/fact-sheets/regional-economic-integration-agenda.aspx
That is, if China doesn't screw it up and actually makes it a free trade zone, instead of "China gets 17% in taxes from every fucking deal" zone. I'm not quite sure about it.

The media involved should sue him for libel. Plus sue him for endangering the rights of journalists to be able to do their job independantly.
Impossible: as President, he is immune to conventional law.
._.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #13659 on: November 22, 2016, 04:05:50 am »

I thought that did not apply for anything he does before being inaugurated

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13660 on: November 22, 2016, 04:07:43 am »

Welcome to legal quibbles. Does it apply on election night? After the electoral vote in December? Or only on inauguration?

Answer: [Lawyers Screeching At Each Other Like Animals, And The Secret Service Not Caring]
No Gods, No Masters.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13661 on: November 22, 2016, 04:09:38 am »

I thought that did not apply for anything he does before being inaugurated
Any cases against him would still get suspended when he enters into Presidency and until he stops being the Lawgiver President.

Which is pretty fun, because it would give his real estate empire a really fucking big boost. Not only did he run his campaign with a profit, he also stands to greatly enrich himself within his 4 years term, too! Did you know, for example, that he's not going to be living in the White House, instead opting in for his Trump Tower's gold-plated penthouse?
._.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #13662 on: November 22, 2016, 04:12:46 am »

I thought he was going to move to the WHite House, but his wife will stay at Trump Towers. Makes you wonder how bad their marriage really is.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13663 on: November 22, 2016, 04:17:55 am »

Nobody knows when he's staying where, we just know that Trump doesn't want to live at the White House more than he has to and would prefer to spend most of his time at his various properties instead. Which really shows you how much he grasps the actual reality of this job.

Regardless, his SS detail is of course resisting it because of the extreme difficulties it causes for them. Totally betting they're going to have to deal with being punched by the President before all is said and done. I really wonder what they'd do...
No Gods, No Masters.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #13664 on: November 22, 2016, 04:52:09 am »

Is Trump Tower owned by Trump personally, or by one of his business? If the latter, he should move out, conflict of interests and all that..

Pages: 1 ... 909 910 [911] 912 913 ... 1249