Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 904 905 [906] 907 908 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1395144 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: Post-Apocalypse
« Reply #13575 on: November 21, 2016, 06:34:00 pm »

Well, fuck.

Don't look at this as a bad thing, look at it as an opportunity. Start your own church that hates cis straight people, then use that as an excuse to fire people at will.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13576 on: November 21, 2016, 06:35:23 pm »

I thought that practice of attaching riders or 'pork' was banned? Though yes, I agree that it's stupid to attach riders to a defense bill that has nothing to do with it.

Also, why are they doing that now when they can just wait a couple months? Unless maybe planning on the Senate taking so long that it doesn't get to Obamas desk.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13577 on: November 21, 2016, 06:47:27 pm »

There's a John Oliver episode where he shows how easy it is to register a religion. In fact, he made it for the show, and it was a legitimate religion according to the law:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Our_Lady_of_Perpetual_Exemption
« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 06:52:57 pm by Reelya »

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13578 on: November 21, 2016, 06:56:11 pm »

Well, fuck.

Don't look at this as a bad thing, look at it as an opportunity. Start your own church that hates cis straight people, then use that as an excuse to fire people at will.
That will be my one consolation if this passes. As a devout Discordian, I am encouraged - nay, required - to fabricate deeply-held beliefs at the drop of a hat. If this actually passes, I have no doubt that I will suddenly have always been anti-hetero.
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #13579 on: November 21, 2016, 07:08:23 pm »

So...uh, given the religious biased undertones...isn't it also possible to...um, counter all that (in those links) by religion itself? It's pretty obvious that those religious precedents are both incomplete and pretty much not in the spirit or what the religion itself does given the implications of those prepositions (given the states being noted being really...conservative? [?])

I mean given several examples of statements, those can be used for pretty much beneficial situations rather than persecution, as far as it comes off over here ._.;
Quote from: Like here
“A parent has the right to full and total information on their child’s academic performance, physical, mental, and emotional health, and more. My legislation will make it expressly against state law for a district to adopt policies designed to undermine a parent’s right to know,” Burton said.
This right to know also includes mandatory education towards whatever their child tells them. Or at least that's the implication I've seen upon first reading it.

Well, fuck.

To be honest, I've been actually thinking about whether something like this should be done for a couple of months now. Not because I think CISHETS ARE THE DEVIL but because it could be a very useful tool to use against these bills.
It'd probably do more harm than good, yes, but at least give me a chance to fantasize about a world where people who make bills like these realize the problems in their logic when it is used against them instead of doubling down on it.
Noo Caroline D: You're not that silly! (That or you're doing satire that I'm totally missing because I'm missing it o_O)
Although given all that mention of religious protection, could I ask if there have been any statements by...actual religions there going against the facade? News articles or such too? :o

It's really baffling that (ok, despite me learning about this WAAAAY back in theology around some 3-ish? years ago) this appears to be more widespread [thanks Caroline for noting links + graphs of states and their applied local laws including [superficially] religious...themed laws[?]).
E: GAH NEW PAGE :I

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13580 on: November 21, 2016, 07:17:47 pm »

You're about in the middle-top of the page for me Tiruin. Using 25 posts per page I believe.

NC Governor and the Republican candidate for state auditor cry voting fraud as they lose. The only fraud in NC is voter suppression :P .

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #13581 on: November 21, 2016, 07:26:24 pm »

So...uh, given the religious biased undertones...isn't it also possible to...um, counter all that (in those links) by religion itself? It's pretty obvious that those religious precedents are both incomplete and pretty much not in the spirit or what the religion itself does given the implications of those prepositions (given the states being noted being really...conservative? [?])
Not quite sure what you mean, here. One religion can't exactly press suit against another for doing things they consider counter to their religion's principles. The only one that gets to decide what religious beliefs are in the states is the person holding them, full stop, and they need neither evidence nor defense. If someone wants to interpret something that's a complete distortion of whatever they're basing their religion off of, that's their prerogative and there's pretty much no legal way to call them on it (non-legal, yes, such as talking to them or loudly proclaiming they're heretics or something, but nothing in a court of law). You could theoretically make it so all the religions in the US just don't do the sort of stuff folks are worried about, but (and I kinda' hate to put it this way but it's not going to stop me) if you think that's actually a thing that's going to be possible I would be contractually obligated to laugh at you derisively for no fewer than five straight minutes. Please don't. My throat can't handle that ;_;

I mean given several examples of statements, those can be used for pretty much beneficial situations rather than persecution, as far as it comes off over here ._.;
Quote from: Like here
“A parent has the right to full and total information on their child’s academic performance, physical, mental, and emotional health, and more. My legislation will make it expressly against state law for a district to adopt policies designed to undermine a parent’s right to know,” Burton said.
This right to know also includes mandatory education towards whatever their child tells them. Or at least that's the implication I've seen upon first reading it.
Right to know, especially with that particular wording, would also likely be able to be used to fight for disclosure in stuff like abuse allegations as well, though. There's reasons schools aren't really required to disclose any and every thing a parent might request. Schools in this country are sometimes the only relief a kid gets, and that requires the school being able to tell the parent "No." on certain things.

Just... let me put it this way. If the religious right, or just chunks of the conservative legislature in general, think something is a good idea it probably isn't. It may look like it, but these are demographics that have within them groups that very literally have made it their goal to get on the books legal precedent they can abuse and twist to get what they want, which is often pretty ugly. True to a degree about this kind of thing in general, but the US right have been making a nastier reputation than average for themselves on that front for a long while now.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 07:28:44 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13582 on: November 21, 2016, 07:34:48 pm »

You're about in the middle-top of the page for me Tiruin. Using 25 posts per page I believe.
Heretic.
NC Governor and the Republican candidate for state auditor cry voting fraud as they lose. The only fraud in NC is voter suppression :P .
It's some shit, for sure. The governor is trying to get tens of thousands of votes investigated from Durham, because they had a computer failure during the election. Can't imagine whyblackpeoplethey'd want to do that.

He's such a fucking jackass. Fortunately, it's looking so far like he's not making any ground on the allegations, and as late and provisional votes get counted Cooper's lead is widening a bit.

The real fucking absurdity is their plan to stack the state court with appointees to prevent the liberal judges that were elected from making any changes.
Pat McRory
my entire state
Que?
« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 07:40:12 pm by MetalSlimeHunt »
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13583 on: November 21, 2016, 07:39:17 pm »

He passed a bill to screw all the transgender people out of nowhere, simply to get back at a city in his state.

Is that the one about bathrooms? WhyTF do people have to know what you are when you are using the facilities in the first place?  Shouldn't even be an issue.  But I guess people are infants and are looking at people in the bathrooms?  Or are broadcasting to everyone when they in there?

For places like school showers, just put up curtains. Most places I've been have done that on their own volition anyway.  But again, I guess I'm selective and the places I visit aren't run by infants...

EDIT: What I mean is, if you "look the part" and are in the "wrong" bathroom, how do people even know a difference?  If you do happen to be trans but don't "look the part" - should the discomfort you impose on all the other people for being in a particular bathroom outweigh your discomfort for being in the bathroom for which you do look the part? That is - how valid is "the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few"?

Of course, if I could answer that last question, I'd probably win a Nobel prize or something; the whole of politics is dealing with managing needs of the few vs needs of the many.  It also doesn't account for "large number" issues, where relatively few (e.g., 1%) can be a large number - like over 3 million people in the US.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 07:46:13 pm by McTraveller »
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13584 on: November 21, 2016, 07:43:12 pm »

Yes, it's the one about the bathrooms. In short:

Public reason: "We have to keep hairy men from raping little girls in bathrooms!"
Private reason: "We have to get back at Charlotte passing an anti-discrimination bill by taking away the power to pass those from all local governments, and also permanently truncate the minimum wage because we state Republicans almost literally act like cartoon villains sometimes."
Real reason: 2016.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #13585 on: November 21, 2016, 07:45:09 pm »

So there are pictures out there of a woman who was supposedly hit in the arm with a concussion grenade during the Standing Rock crackdown last night.  Her arm is gruesomely blown open to the core, and will likely have to be amputated.

There is not nearly enough outrage about this situation.  That a group of people can be openly treated like this right in the middle of the continental United States for so long flies in the face of all the claims I hear from people about how I shouldn't be so cynical.  Its direct contradiction to every time someone tells me the government isn't willing to brutalize its own people if it really needs to to get its way, or the way of its corporate allies. 
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13586 on: November 21, 2016, 07:45:26 pm »

So a trump advisor accidentally leaked his own security plan...

https://twitter.com/kerpen/status/800777904607137796
http://www.vanityfair.com/news/2016/11/kris-kobach-homeland-security-plan
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
"KOBACH DHS PLAN
1. Bar the Entry of Potential Terrorists.
2. Deport Record Number of Criminal Aliens in the First Year"

nice one Kris

HAHAHAHA

« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 07:52:08 pm by tonnot98 »
Not sure if dying of old age is an honor or a shame for weaponmasters. On the one hand, it means they never got the opportunity to die in glorious battle. On the other hand, it means nothing could beat them in glorious battle.
Meow.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13587 on: November 21, 2016, 07:50:05 pm »

So there are pictures out there of a woman who was supposedly hit in the arm with a concussion grenade during the Standing Rock crackdown last night.  Her arm is gruesomely blown open to the core, and will likely have to be amputated.

There is not nearly enough outrage about this situation.  That a group of people can be openly treated like this right in the middle of the continental United States for so long flies in the face of all the claims I hear from people about how I shouldn't be so cynical.  Its direct contradiction to every time someone tells me the government isn't willing to brutalize its own people if it really needs to to get its way, or the way of its corporate allies.

Is she a Minority? In which case no one should be concerned, Trump won and thus there is no racism or discrimination involved.

That is how politics work now, get over it!
« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 07:53:58 pm by Neonivek »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13588 on: November 21, 2016, 07:59:32 pm »

Why does her ethnicity matter?

A woman was hit with a concussion grenade and suffered catastrophic deep tissue injury.

Why was she hit with a concussion grenade is the correct starting question, followed by more questions afterward.

Her race is a giant flipping no sequitur.

In thus case, it sounds like she was hit with said grenade for refusing to step aside and let rich people fuck up the environment to make themselves richer. They placed a pricetag on the protestors wellbeing and thier very lives, and the rich people favored the money they wouldnt get to make if the protesters don't go away.

In short, the people pushing this that authorized the use of concussion grenades on civilians are genuinely evil, and should be punished.

I won't hold my breath though.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 08:04:48 pm by wierd »

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13589 on: November 21, 2016, 08:00:57 pm »

The standing rock issue was just waiting to explode for a decent while now, I should've figured it'd happen right after the election.

Why the hell are they using concussion grenades though? Has it gotten that bad already that they're using deadly munitions? Concussion grenades is the kind of shit you use against of group of enemies, not rioters.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 08:02:58 pm by TempAcc »
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.
Pages: 1 ... 904 905 [906] 907 908 ... 1249