Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 861 862 [863] 864 865 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1393079 times)

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: Post-Apocalypse
« Reply #12930 on: November 16, 2016, 12:20:14 pm »

Well duh. If there are two voters, they should have less political power than three voters. And so on.
that's not the point thats being made though

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12931 on: November 16, 2016, 12:20:44 pm »

Tyranny of the majority, is still tyranny.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyranny_of_the_majority

It is what enabled the soviet holodomor.  The ethnic russians outnumbered those damned uppity ukrainians, who refused to obey.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12932 on: November 16, 2016, 12:22:46 pm »

What the wikipedia article does not explain well, is that a major contributing factor of the holodomor was the forced eviction of Ukrainian farmers, with a land-grab by ethnic russians (from cities) who did not know how to properly work those farms, in addition to the state mandated crops.

The callousness of that eviction (the Ukrainians were expected to just die.), echoes the kind frumple off-handedly tendered above.

The holodomor is really what turned the former USSR into a backward shithole where people literally had to steal to have food.
1) Why does everyone forget that the Kazakhs have died the most in Holodomor, percentage-wise (the staggering 38% of them, in fact)? Is it because they're mostly filthy pro-Russia supporters now, and thus they are considered as totally worthless and deserving to die off?
2) I'm pretty sure that my parents did not have to steal to have food, and they lived in USSR. Um, okay?
._.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12933 on: November 16, 2016, 12:23:36 pm »

When you have two sides who refuse to cooperate or compromise, and have gerrymandered their districts to the extent that they're being pushed further and further apart by their constituents as a result, you're gonna end up with tyranny of the something (or gridlock).
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12934 on: November 16, 2016, 12:24:41 pm »

So a question I have is - if city dwellers could magically make this automatic equipment that can do all agriculture, why don't we have it today? Why isn't food "free"?

I wouldn't mind that actually.

Although personally I prefer to live where there are green fields; cities feel wrong to me. I don't like it as it is that I live in an area which is rezoning all its farmland for subdivisions and commercial shopping centers. Sadly though money is kind of king, which means my opinion gets drowned out.  Maybe (well, not for a couple years perhaps) the EPA would start limiting land conversion?

Also - just as tyranny of the majority is tyranny, so is tyranny of the minority.  Or more accurately: tyranny is tyranny.
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12935 on: November 16, 2016, 12:25:08 pm »

When you have two sides who refuse to cooperate or compromise, and have gerrymandered their districts to the extent that they're being pushed further and further apart by their constituents as a result, you're gonna end up with tyranny of the something (or gridlock).

The problem is that they are fixing the democratic process (err republic process I guess) and they want to fix it... But utterly refuse to give up what they have done to do so.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12936 on: November 16, 2016, 12:25:59 pm »

No joke, but giving short shrift to the consequences of the suggested solutions is pathological. 

Sergarr-- Not all localities in the former USSR were the same. Some required more criminality than others.  I am pretty sure your folks hoarded and or, stole, toilet paper, for instance.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #12937 on: November 16, 2016, 12:28:41 pm »

The problem is that they are fixing the democratic process (err republic process I guess) and they want to fix it... But utterly refuse to give up what they have done to do so.

ARMOK DAMN IT

IT IS THE DEMOCRATIC PROCESS

AMERICA IS A DEMOCRACY AND A FEDERAL THING AND A CONSTITUTIONAL THING AND A REPUBLIC ALL AT ONCE

GET IT RIGHT
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12938 on: November 16, 2016, 12:29:46 pm »

So a question I have is - if city dwellers could magically make this automatic equipment that can do all agriculture, why don't we have it today? Why isn't food "free"?

I wouldn't mind that actually.

Although personally I prefer to live where there are green fields; cities feel wrong to me. I don't like it as it is that I live in an area which is rezoning all its farmland for subdivisions and commercial shopping centers. Sadly though money is kind of king, which means my opinion gets drowned out.  Maybe (well, not for a couple years perhaps) the EPA would start limiting land conversion?

Also - just as tyranny of the majority is tyranny, so is tyranny of the minority.  Or more accurately: tyranny is tyranny.

You mean tractors and shit? Or roomba-for-your-farms? Is that a thing?

In any case, even if you had planting and farming robots, that did all that for you, food still wouldn't be free because it still has costs:
1. equipment (them robots won't be cheap)
2. fuel (or power, to run them)
3. seeds
4. labor, if you have to hire anyone to help (e.g. with animals)
5. refridgeration, shipping, etc (this might be paid by whoever you're selling your stuff to to get it to stores)
6. various other costs
7. you have to be able to feed your family, unless you expect them to just grow their own food, give the rest away, and hope there isn't a drought or early frost or w/e
« Last Edit: November 16, 2016, 12:31:22 pm by Shadowlord »
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12939 on: November 16, 2016, 12:30:10 pm »

Farming is getting pretty close to fully automated now.  The farms still need caretakers to make sure the equipment is running, and ensure raw material is getting to the machines.

However, complex machines are complex. Not just anyone has any business fixing it, or running it.  You are just making very specialized and essential labor, and demanding that that specialization not get collateral pay.

Further, due to the same-said essentialness and reduced population count, you make these people too essential to have a voice. The only power they have to exercise redress of greivances is strike.

Of course, say some of the people here-- we should just kick them out and off their lands, and replace them (with more people we will promptly ignore afterward.)

« Last Edit: November 16, 2016, 12:33:33 pm by wierd »

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12940 on: November 16, 2016, 12:36:58 pm »

I'd like to redirect your attention back to the NYT article that I linked and quoted.

> Dozens of major regulations passed recently by the Obama administration — including far-reaching changes on health care, consumer protections and environmental safety — could be undone with the stroke of a pen by Donald J. Trump and the Republican-controlled Congress starting in January, thanks to a little-used law that dates back to 1996.
> And it comes with a scorched-earth kicker: If the law is used to strike down a rule, the federal agency that issued it is barred from enacting similar regulation again in the future.

Or, Reasons Why I Still Think Voting Trump On The Basis Of Part But Not All Of His Policies Was A Bad Idea And Voted For Hillary Myself To Try To Prevent This Shit From Happening

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12941 on: November 16, 2016, 12:39:40 pm »

Well, I did say "free", not actually free... but food is actually pretty inexpensive as it is.

So it's not so much really about food production.  The bigger issue is really what do you do with all those people that are being marginalized? Even if - and especially - if you don't agree with the views of the marginalized group?
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12942 on: November 16, 2016, 12:41:06 pm »

1996 you say?

who was president then?  Oh, right-- Clinton.  The same guy who repealed glass-stegal, because "we didnt need it anymore".

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12943 on: November 16, 2016, 12:41:13 pm »

Actually some farmers have found that machines and automation for farms (like a tractor) are in fact more expensive then simply hiring more farm hands.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12944 on: November 16, 2016, 12:43:42 pm »

That comes from them not being ALLOWED to repair said equipment themselves.

See for example, the greedy bullshit of the DMCA, and its exercise on the control systems inside modern farm equipment.

https://www.wired.com/2015/02/new-high-tech-farm-equipment-nightmare-farmers/

http://modernfarmer.com/2016/07/right-to-repair/

http://www.npr.org/sections/alltechconsidered/2015/08/17/432601480/diy-tractor-repair-runs-afoul-of-copyright-law
« Last Edit: November 16, 2016, 12:46:09 pm by wierd »
Pages: 1 ... 861 862 [863] 864 865 ... 1249