Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 860 861 [862] 863 864 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1393098 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: Post-Apocalypse
« Reply #12915 on: November 16, 2016, 11:46:24 am »

Oddly enough, a lot of nice shit comes from the cities and otherwise non-rural areas. Also the countryside is boring as goddamn, and not really setup to make a lot of neat junk. Maybe farmers could strike or something or try to exert power via threatening food supplies, but then they got barely anything to make their lives pleasant and a majority of the country's population is pissed off at them and considerably more capable of fielding more direct repercussions.

That's not even getting into the flat fact that if it really came to it, cityfolk could just break off some people, build up the necessary machinery, and replace them. We don't need even remotely as many farmers as we used to to maintain the agriculture output we do.

Or all the other stuff. Long story short, though, is that there's not nearly enough farmers nor do they have even remotely sufficient capability to defend themselves from repercussions of trying to really screw people in more developed areas for it to really be an option. And even beyond that many of them aren't quite fucked in the head enough to think trying to starve their countrymen and distant family is a good idea. All sorts of other stuff, really. Agrarian revolution was a pipe dream several generations ago, when it comes right down to it.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2016, 11:47:56 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12916 on: November 16, 2016, 11:54:01 am »

Sorry to burst your bubble there frumple, but rooftop gardens will never replace the mass, intensive agriculture that permits people to buy bread, flour, eggs, and milk.

The urban population would revolt (in both senses of the word!) at the smell alone.

There is a reason why these industries are put OUTSIDE the cities.  It 1) takes a lot of real estate, and 2) Often involves very unsanitary conditions to keep animals (chickens, cows, swine, et al) Jamming dense urban populations right next to that factory egg and chicken farm will give lots of people salmonella.

If instead you mean 'move out of the city, and do the work outside the city', by 'break off', what those people who do that will quickly realize is that they suddenly become the minority farmers who the city takes for granted-- besides, what farmer's land will they seize to enact this plan? Arable land isnt something you just conjure from thin air.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2016, 11:59:03 am by wierd »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #12917 on: November 16, 2016, 11:58:45 am »

... mate, I wasn't saying anything about rooftop gardens. I was talking going out, kicking some farmers off their land/throwing the ones that wouldn't play ball in jail (or just using arable stuff the cities already had sufficient influence over), and then shifting enough population out to do it without them.
Ask not!
Ask!

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12918 on: November 16, 2016, 12:00:30 pm »

Oh, so what Stalin did in the Ukraine then?

Yeah, that did Russia LOTS of good.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holodomor

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12919 on: November 16, 2016, 12:01:17 pm »

It's actually, in a way, surprising that the rural areas don't try to exert more power. It's amazing what "Hey, you like to eat, don't you?" can do in a negotiation.  You could probably write a lot of dystopian fiction based on that (that's of one of the many things that bothered me about Hunger Games - if you really don't want your oppressors to keep oppressing you, just stop making stuff for them! Yeah, you might have to sacrifice yourself for that, though).
It's not surprising to anyone who has read about 1920s-1930s period in USSR. Cities wreck the utter shit out of rurals in any open fight, and people usually tend to choose living in shitty condition over dying off.

The disparity has only become greater since then - while rurals now have automatic rifles, cities have remotely controlled aircraft that will allow the city dwellers to kill rurals at their leisure from a position of complete safety.

EDIT: ninja'd
._.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12920 on: November 16, 2016, 12:05:01 pm »

Oh, so what Stalin did in the Ukraine then?

Yeah, that did Russia LOTS of good.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holodomor

A civil war between the cities and rural areas is already a pretty nightmare situation for everyone involved. Mass famine isn't really the worst outcome on the table here.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12921 on: November 16, 2016, 12:08:39 pm »

What the wikipedia article does not explain well, is that a major contributing factor of the holodomor was the forced eviction of Ukrainian farmers, with a land-grab by ethnic russians (from cities) who did not know how to properly work those farms, in addition to the state mandated crops.

The callousness of that eviction (the Ukrainians were expected to just die.), echoes the kind frumple off-handedly tendered above.

The holodomor is really what turned the former USSR into a backward shithole where people literally had to steal to have food.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2016, 12:11:19 pm by wierd »

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #12923 on: November 16, 2016, 12:13:34 pm »

What the wikipedia article does not explain well, is that a major contributing factor of the holodomor was the forced eviction of Ukrainian farmers, with a land-grab by ethnic russians (from cities) who did not know how to properly work those farms, in addition to the state mandated crops.
Trick is, "Did not know how to properly work those farms" isn't really an issue at this point. Ag science isn't exactly some kind of mystical knowledge kept enshrined in the depths of the countryside only able to be interpreted by the great seed wizards, and the advances in machinery and methodology and all that we've made since that time (and especially in comparison to that area) gives a significantly different sort of scenario. Different times are different times.

Though it's silly as all hell to begin with. Rural frustration is there but it's not anywhere near the critical mass even attempts at crap like is being discussed needs to become even a remote chance, never mind likely one or likely success of the initial steps.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2016, 12:15:30 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12924 on: November 16, 2016, 12:14:42 pm »

forced eviction because "Did not get what I want!" politics, is still grossly immoral, frumple.

Also, not just any joe sixpack can properly or safely operate (or maintain) large farm equipment.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2016, 12:16:19 pm by wierd »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #12925 on: November 16, 2016, 12:16:04 pm »

Forced eviction because they're trying to goddamn starve urban populations damn sure isn't. Which is what was being discussed.
Ask not!
Ask!

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12926 on: November 16, 2016, 12:17:16 pm »

and the reasons for said starving tactic?  Being told "You are few, your voice is meaningless! Obey the voice of the majority, or lose your lands!"  is somehow a better narrative?

Protip: replacing the farmers wont make that cause go away. You just victimize more people.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12927 on: November 16, 2016, 12:17:49 pm »

and the reasons for said starving tactic?  Being told "You are few, your voice is meaningless! Obey the voice of the majority, or lose your lands!"  is somehow a better narrative?

Uhh yeah duh! that is the narrative right now.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #12928 on: November 16, 2016, 12:19:21 pm »

Well duh. If there are two voters, they should have less political power than three voters. And so on.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12929 on: November 16, 2016, 12:20:06 pm »

Northern Midwest/Great Lakes region especially. Also Maine, Clinton looks like she was at risk of losing Maine entirely, and that's one of two most liberal states in the Union (the other being California).

Maine? Most liberal? Explain Governor Paul "The worst part of my life is newspapers are still alive" LePage. Governor Paul "What I think we ought to do is bring the guillotine back. We could have public executions" LePage. Governor Paul "What I am trying to say is the Holocaust was a horrific crime against humanity and, frankly, I would never want to see that repeated. Maybe the IRS is not quite as bad -- yet" LePage. Quotes

I've quoted this article in its entirety in case it's paywalled for some of you.

Dozens of major regulations passed recently by the Obama administration — including far-reaching changes on health care, consumer protections and environmental safety — could be undone with the stroke of a pen by Donald J. Trump and the Republican-controlled Congress starting in January, thanks to a little-used law that dates back to 1996.

And it comes with a scorched-earth kicker: If the law is used to strike down a rule, the federal agency that issued it is barred from enacting similar regulation again in the future.

The obscure law — called the Congressional Review Act — was passed 20 years ago at the behest of Newt Gingrich, then the House speaker and now a member of Mr. Trump’s transition team. It gives Congress 60 legislative days to review and override major regulations enacted by federal agencies. In the Senate, the vote would not be subject to filibuster.

The president can veto the rejection, which usually renders the law toothless. But when one party controls both the White House and Congress, it can be a powerful legislative weapon.

Spoiler: more (click to show/hide)
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive
Pages: 1 ... 860 861 [862] 863 864 ... 1249