Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 858 859 [860] 861 862 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1393170 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: Post-Apocalypse
« Reply #12885 on: November 16, 2016, 05:41:52 am »

Won't work. The bureaucratic procedure alone, to get a permit to dig anywhere in the Netherlands takes 25 years. That is, if you're qualified to own a shovel in the first place.

EDIT: besides that, ever since it got a government a few weeks ago, Belgium is considered a 'safe country' so Belgian refugees aren't allowed through the wall anymore, even if they don't have a shovel.

On a more serious note, I would not oppose a merger of the Netherlands and Belgium. The southern provinces of the Netherlands combined with the Flemish provinces of Belgium would be a stronger economic region when combined, providing an excellent counterbalance for the current contrast between the Dutch Randstad and outlying provinces. And end the eternal quarrel between Rotterdam harbour area and Antwerp's harbour. It could likely provide sufficient economic growth for the development of Wallonia as well, unless for some reason they would want to join France, and France would let them.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2016, 05:55:22 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12887 on: November 16, 2016, 05:53:58 am »

So why not write-in "instant runoff" or "Batman" or even this asshole.
<3

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #12888 on: November 16, 2016, 06:01:13 am »

http://www.tabletmag.com/jewish-news-and-politics/217831/what-to-do-about-trump
As a descendant of holocaust survivors, I can only say I completely understand the feeling.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12889 on: November 16, 2016, 06:13:21 am »

So why not write-in "instant runoff" or "Batman" or even this asshole.
<3

This asshole appreciates your vote of confidence but this asshole has a few elections to go before qualified as your rightful and legitimate Sphincter Party candidate for president.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12890 on: November 16, 2016, 06:20:46 am »

While not entirely related to the current discussion, Moshe T. Vardi did make some insightful comments on why Trump suddenly became a choice for so many people. Roughly 80% of the talk is about automation, economics and social distruption, but it can shed some light as to what kind of stuff the US and western society at large is going through atm.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12891 on: November 16, 2016, 08:30:55 am »

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12892 on: November 16, 2016, 08:44:48 am »

What about it?

Dozebôm Lolumzalěs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #12893 on: November 16, 2016, 09:03:45 am »

Oh shit no, we don't need another America. Especially not another oldAmerica.

That gave me an idea about an alternate world thing where they find there's another identical Earth parallel to this one, and Earth-1 America ends up at war with Earth-2 America. Basically both Americas decide the last thing they need is another country equally powerful as themselves to exist, so they both start plotting to nuke each other through the wormholes.
Oh fuck yes. I will steal that idea, thank you very much. I've been wanting to write something, but I never thought up a good-enough prompt. That problem is no longer a problem, heh. Although I wonder if it could be improved by:

1. Having them in different time periods, like my original thought?
2. Having slight historical differences that result in a different America?

[DERAIL_INTENSIFIES]
Merchant Princes series by Stross does the different time periods thing as I recall.

Spoiler: DERAIL INTENSIFICATION (click to show/hide)
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12894 on: November 16, 2016, 09:21:04 am »

The economy would stop dead on election day if we did.

Truth be told, even if I had wanted to vote, I was tied to my cube that day. True, I could have arranged time, but then I still would not have been in my cube.

When you remove everyone from their places of employment on election day (which includes the cops!), things get silly very fast.

Elections would need to span an entire week to balance the lost productivity out.

Of the 3rd parties, I most favored Stein, however- I did not align with large portions of it [her platform] that were deal breakers. No candidate sufficiently reflected my views on how this country should be run.

How would this be different from every other holiday?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images

Believe nothing you hear. Or everything. Have fun. Love when?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

Dozebôm Lolumzalěs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #12895 on: November 16, 2016, 09:26:27 am »

The economy would stop dead on election day if we did.

Truth be told, even if I had wanted to vote, I was tied to my cube that day. True, I could have arranged time, but then I still would not have been in my cube.

When you remove everyone from their places of employment on election day (which includes the cops!), things get silly very fast.

Elections would need to span an entire week to balance the lost productivity out.

Of the 3rd parties, I most favored Stein, however- I did not align with large portions of it [her platform] that were deal breakers. No candidate sufficiently reflected my views on how this country should be run.

How would this be different from every other holiday?

BECAUSE ALL OF THE STOCK MARKETS WOULD FALL DOWN WHEN TRUMP WINS HIS SIXTH TERM AS GOD-EMPEROR
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12896 on: November 16, 2016, 09:33:09 am »

What about it?
It's a direct visible demonstration of just how much of a screwup the Clinton campaign was, so many of those counties were "safe" and didn't get any attention.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12897 on: November 16, 2016, 09:42:54 am »

What about it?
It's a direct visible demonstration of just how much of a screwup the Clinton campaign was, so many of those counties were "safe" and didn't get any attention.

Northern Midwest/Great Lakes region especially. Also Maine, Clinton looks like she was at risk of losing Maine entirely, and that's one of two most liberal states in the Union (the other being California).

What are those dark grey areas in Utah and elsewhere? McMullin?

edit: Could you link to the source? I'm just curious as to the article it came from. edit2: Oh, looked at image info and it's off of imgur.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2016, 09:53:35 am by smjjames »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #12898 on: November 16, 2016, 10:10:26 am »

Something related to that, actually. Only tracks back to labor day, and doesn't include surrogate appearances, but still. Interesting bit of info.

Turns out a fair chunk of the places where trump flipped obama voters did get some degree or another of attention from clinton. Less than trump, at times, but it wasn't just a matter of just not showing up at all.

Be neat if anyone can track down similar sorts of things, just for further back or other parts of the campaign. Not even sure where you'd start looking to collate that information, though... news, maybe, but that would be a hell of a PitA to do.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2016, 10:19:11 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12899 on: November 16, 2016, 10:19:36 am »

Oh, it was from Washington Post but all their crap annoys me so I just screenshotted it and banished them back to the depths of the net. The grey areas were lack of info I think.
Pages: 1 ... 858 859 [860] 861 862 ... 1249