Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 851 852 [853] 854 855 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1392002 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: Post-Apocalypse
« Reply #12780 on: November 15, 2016, 03:28:16 pm »

You'll know once he starts building new highways. And an Atlantic Wall.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #12781 on: November 15, 2016, 03:29:54 pm »

Though as I've found out. Hitler was popular amongst the Jewish community.
Popular isn't the right word. Although there were some misguided jews who actually were nazi sympathisants, most jews just remembered the pogroms, and were more afraid of Russia than of Hitler.

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12782 on: November 15, 2016, 03:37:04 pm »

Clintons lead in the popular vote passes 1 million, that's 1,000,000. And bigger than Al Gore's lead. *drops mic*

Also, Trump flip flops worse on the EC than a weathervane in a tornado.......

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12783 on: November 15, 2016, 03:38:19 pm »

But it appears to have already been taken. And not by a hate group either. Good.

Err, read again. It was "taken" by an anti-feminist group after the feminist group already took it. You can't do that! *wtf*

The "anti-feminist" version is run by Erin Pizzey, the woman who pioneered domestic violence shelters. She got pissed off because the evidence is that violence against male partners is almost as common as violence against female partners, and if you look into it,  empirical evidence of this fact has been available right from the start of the domestic violence movement in the 1970s, but the movement she originally founded was hijacked by radfems, who then did motivated research, and straight-up academic fraud according to several major pioneers in the field (Erin Pizzey, Murray Strauss for example) to push a one-sided "gender violence" agenda.

Ever since then she's campaigned for at least a little funding and research into domestic violence against men, but because of that she's been academically blacklisted, while at first she was lauded as a gender-heroine. So, the real "white ribbon" is by male feminists, and the "fake" white ribbon is run by a second-generation actual female domestic-violence pioneer who was blacklisted from the feminist organizations for not towing the party line.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2016, 03:44:43 pm by Reelya »

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12785 on: November 15, 2016, 03:39:44 pm »

So has the media updated their chart which they used as proof, based on incomplete vote counts, that Hillary got less votes than Obama in either year?
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12786 on: November 15, 2016, 03:42:04 pm »

So has the media updated their chart which they used as proof, based on incomplete vote counts, that Hillary got less votes than Obama in either year?

*shrug* I wonder what Obama's lead looked like at this point this many days after the election both times.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #12787 on: November 15, 2016, 03:51:15 pm »

So I have a question for you folks.

In government policy, is it more important to try and improve lives now, even if it means that in the future it will be harder to, or communities won't be able to develop as effectively/quickly, or to make sure the community will grow and thrive in the future, even if it means suffering for people now?

And if you think it depends on timescale, around what time differential does the flip happen?
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12788 on: November 15, 2016, 03:51:48 pm »

Oh shit no, we don't need another America. Especially not another oldAmerica.

That gave me an idea about an alternate world thing where they find there's another identical Earth parallel to this one, and Earth-1 America ends up at war with Earth-2 America. Basically both Americas decide the last thing they need is another country equally powerful as themselves to exist, so they both start plotting to nuke each other through the wormholes.

A highway and a wall aren't much different in construction. One just sticks up out of the ground more. Trump can promise to build 3000 miles of new highway then use the mats for his wall instead. The only risk is that the builders will be standing on the Mexican side of the wall when they place the last block and won't be able to pathfind back into America.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2016, 03:58:46 pm by Reelya »

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12789 on: November 15, 2016, 04:01:22 pm »

Rolepgeek: It's complicated.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12790 on: November 15, 2016, 04:07:11 pm »

But it appears to have already been taken. And not by a hate group either. Good.

Err, read again. It was "taken" by an anti-feminist group after the feminist group already took it. You can't do that! *wtf*

The "anti-feminist" version is run by Erin Pizzey, the woman who pioneered domestic violence shelters. She got pissed off because the evidence is that violence against male partners is almost as common as violence against female partners, and if you look into it,  empirical evidence of this fact has been available right from the start of the domestic violence movement in the 1970s, but the movement she originally founded was hijacked by radfems, who then did motivated research, and straight-up academic fraud according to several major pioneers in the field (Erin Pizzey, Murray Strauss for example) to push a one-sided "gender violence" agenda.

Ever since then she's campaigned for at least a little funding and research into domestic violence against men, but because of that she's been academically blacklisted, while at first she was lauded as a gender-heroine. So, the real "white ribbon" is by male feminists, and the "fake" white ribbon is run by a second-generation actual female domestic-violence pioneer who was blacklisted from the feminist organizations for not towing the party line.

I am not surprised.

Even people, whether feminist or not, who actually bring up myths created for this narrative tend to be outcasted and looked down upon as anti-feminist. Heck there was this one feminist who is infamosly considered a anti-feminist and her arch-villainy was!!! Not taking pop-feminist psychology at face value... And another whose only contribution was!!! revealing several myths that manage to get into popular consciousness (such "History" not being His+Story and Rule of Thumb not being an allegory for female abuse)

It is only very recently (IMO due to Feminism's continuous inability to be honest and its tendency to excessively moralize against popculture) that this has started breaking down. Which unfortunately has the consequence of feminism itself getting less and less respect even when it is legitimate.

Or rather... If you let the Crazies speak for you, don't be surprised when people don't listen to the people who actually got their stuff together.

You see the exact same thing with gun ownership. Who gets to talk about the right to bare arms? Crazy people.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2016, 04:09:10 pm by Neonivek »

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #12791 on: November 15, 2016, 04:07:43 pm »

A highway and a wall aren't much different in construction. One just sticks up out of the ground more. Trump can promise to build 3000 miles of new highway then use the mats for his wall instead. The only risk is that the builders will be standing on the Mexican side of the wall when they place the last block and won't be able to pathfind back into America.

THE MEXICANS HAVE U.S HOSTAGES, NUKE 'EM!
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12792 on: November 15, 2016, 04:13:05 pm »

@neonivek: It's more the NRA refusing to have a rational discussion and allowing the fringe elements to dominate.

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12793 on: November 15, 2016, 04:23:31 pm »

So I have a question for you folks.

In government policy, is it more important to try and improve lives now, even if it means that in the future it will be harder to, or communities won't be able to develop as effectively/quickly, or to make sure the community will grow and thrive in the future, even if it means suffering for people now?

And if you think it depends on timescale, around what time differential does the flip happen?

According to the "Great Law of the Iroquois", we should look forward 7 generations, or about 140 years. That seems like a decent place to start. So, assuming no major technological revolutions (i.e. assuming an increase in crop yields is fine, assuming matter-energy converters is not) a balanced policy would be to ensure that the people 7 generations down the line can have the same standards of living as now.

Naturally, people and politics complicate matters so it can't be that simple.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #12794 on: November 15, 2016, 04:26:14 pm »

I think you missed the reference.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autobahn
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlantic_Wall

EDIT: I like the pathfinding joke though
« Last Edit: November 15, 2016, 04:31:51 pm by martinuzz »

Pages: 1 ... 851 852 [853] 854 855 ... 1249