Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 846 847 [848] 849 850 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1391462 times)

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: Post-Apocalypse
« Reply #12705 on: November 15, 2016, 06:41:26 am »

Dude, it would be worse for them if they didn't have the below-minimum-wage jobs. They would have even less money if they worked back in Mexico. You can't paint this as a clearly my-side-is-moral-yours-is-unethical kind of thing.

A) cost of living in mexico is quite lower
the wages relative to the col could still be lower than in America
B) I don't see why poor of one country are a problem to another country
people were painting this as an clear-cut moral issue; it's not

Refugees? I'm fine with that. Economic migrants? Get a visa and play by the rule like everyone else.
we are trying to un-fuck-up the rules

right now the rules are shit

the moment you establish legality can be bent for special cases, a country comes apart (and you saw it quite clearly in this election cycle, so I don't know why there's more proof needed)

I would dispute that

this statement needs more proof that "bending legality" caused this election cycle
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12706 on: November 15, 2016, 06:45:48 am »

#1 On one side the argument is "what's in the best economic interests of the people involved. how will enforcing or changing the rules affect real peoples' livelihoods"

#2 On the other hand we have "rules are important and there are forms and paperwork which are supposed to be filled out"

#2 is claiming "moral superiority".

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #12707 on: November 15, 2016, 06:52:58 am »

#1 On one side the argument is "what's in the best economic interests of the people involved. how will enforcing or changing the rules affect real peoples' livelihoods"

#2 On the other hand we have "rules are important and there are forms and paperwork which are supposed to be filled out"

As someone on the receiving end of immigrant discrimination, I know very well which side I'm in thank you.

Managing the immigrant flux *is* the best economic interest. But people involved needs not to apply to everyone evermore, or you get into the situation where immigrants are forever exploited, even the one coming legally, to the detriment of the people already residing which have ultimately to pay the burden. You can switch the issue around as much as you like, but welfare management, economic interests and people well being are all interrelated.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #12708 on: November 15, 2016, 07:08:27 am »

No, you're arguing for a neo-liberal system. You think that because they now get better wages in America, having illegal immigrant is the best thing to do.

I don't claim moral superiority actually, because I don't think we see the issue the same way, and we disagree on the result of my proposed plan.

In my views, the current system is making everyone poorer, and is going to destroy any attempt at social security. In yours the trade war my system would cause would destroy the world economy.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #12709 on: November 15, 2016, 08:26:58 am »

As someone on the receiving end of immigrant discrimination, I know very well which side I'm in thank you.
Lol at "I'm an immigrant therefore I can't be wrong."
Managing the immigrant flux *is* the best economic interest. But people involved needs not to apply to everyone evermore, or you get into the situation where immigrants are forever exploited, even the one coming legally, to the detriment of the people already residing which have ultimately to pay the burden.
Again, the already-citizens are positively affected by immigration.
You can switch the issue around as much as you like, but welfare management, economic interests and people well being are all interrelated.
Yes, they are. Your point?
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #12711 on: November 15, 2016, 08:46:58 am »

That's the finance of local government. Also only regards illegal immigration. Papers on the effect on people's income tends to agree that immigrants raise income, although some papers finds that some categories of citizens are negatively affected even if the average goes up, while some finds that everyone benefits.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #12712 on: November 15, 2016, 08:51:56 am »

Talk about papers, post the papers
Makes everyone more knowledgeable and all

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12713 on: November 15, 2016, 09:04:19 am »

That's the finance of local government. Also only regards illegal immigration. Papers on the effect on people's income tends to agree that immigrants raise income, although some papers finds that some categories of citizens are negatively affected even if the average goes up, while some finds that everyone benefits.

of course the problems are illegals, legals both are subject to minimum wage so can't compete as effectively and pay the due taxes.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #12714 on: November 15, 2016, 09:15:00 am »

Well, this here for exemple shows that an increase of immigration by 10% raise per capita income per 2,2% in aggregate. This paper looking at the Canadian case reach the conclusion that immigration raise GDP, GDP per capita and government budget balance.

Dustmann, looking at the UK found that an increase in immigration lead to an overall increase in income, but a lowering of income for the bottom quintile. Meanwhile other studies, like this one comparing US cities with various level of illegal immigrants showed no effect or a positive effect for even low-skilled workers.

One thing to note is that even if immigration do in fact decrease the income of some portion of the population, it should be possible to harness the surplus economic activity and redistribute it through taxation.

LoSboccac: Turning illegals into legals is as easy as amnisty though. :p

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #12716 on: November 15, 2016, 09:28:57 am »

Too much trouble, mostly. Also yeah, that's pretty normal. Immigration, marijuana, guns, whatever social issue conservative politicians have shoved their head up their ass about this week, the list can get pretty lengthy.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #12717 on: November 15, 2016, 09:30:25 am »

As far as I know, it's not really breaking federal law, it's just not cooperating with the federal immigration agencies. No law force local cops to do so.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12718 on: November 15, 2016, 09:33:37 am »

Okay so apparently it's normal in USA when mayors of multiple major cities openly declare that they know that they're breaking the federal policy of the country and that they don't care and will continue to break said federal policy.

Why are those people not arrested by the Feds, again?

Because sanctuary city. Seems to be an uniquely American thing, okay, there's three Canadian cities doing it too, so, not totally unique to America.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12719 on: November 15, 2016, 10:02:36 am »

As far as I know, it's not really breaking federal law, it's just not cooperating with the federal immigration agencies. No law force local cops to do so.
I think this is the case.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.
Pages: 1 ... 846 847 [848] 849 850 ... 1249