Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 827 828 [829] 830 831 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1389505 times)

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: Post-Apocalypse
« Reply #12420 on: November 13, 2016, 10:51:17 pm »

If Trump somehow does a complete 180...

Well, I hope his prospective Cabinet isn't getting very used to their offices?
*snip*
These are no more the End Times than Andrew Jackson taking over was the end times. Whether he wants us to take a collective shit on the environment or not, four years is not going to obliterate the earth and raise the sea levels forty feet.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2016, 10:49:13 am by Rolepgeek »
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12421 on: November 13, 2016, 10:53:25 pm »

If Trump eliminates all of our environmental plans, and that's basically what he promised to do, undoing the damage could take decades thanks to dumbass government inertia when what we need to be doing is radically expanding it. We are out of time. We're going to be "fixing" this when it's already too late to halt.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12422 on: November 13, 2016, 10:55:21 pm »

If Trump eliminates all of our environmental plans, and that's basically what he promised to do, undoing the damage could take decades thanks to dumbass government inertia when what we need to be doing is radically expanding it. We are out of time. We're going to be "fixing" this when it's already too late to halt.

At least Hillary didn't get in office. She was going to immediately declare war on Russia! You know a suicidal war that has no point and doesn't politically aid her in anyway.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #12423 on: November 13, 2016, 11:03:24 pm »

You don't think the massive backlash, first evidenced directly here right now when it's not even been a week since he was elected, of Dems, environmentalists, non-environmentalists who are now having to deal with water/smog issues on a very personal level, and etc. won't be enough to elect the shit out of people who will get that ball rolling?

Similarly, I have a guess that if the Trump administration actually starts doing terrible things to marginalized communities, that once he's out of office come 2020, the social justice movement will be gorged so heavily on mounds upon mounds of injustice and outrage-material that the force of it's belches will impact government policy. If actual turf wars don't end up starting between newly-inspired neonazi groups and various communities and/or gangs.

Government is plastic, but democracy is elastic. This is gonna be one hell of a bender, no matter which way it goes.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12424 on: November 13, 2016, 11:14:36 pm »

found this. not exactly reassuring but more of my kind of perspective being of the same academic training as the writer. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/tobias-stone/history-tells-us-what-will-brexit-trump_b_11179774.html?

I'm a Michigander and i can say with he flint shit that's going down people really hate our Governor for it. if his term limit wasn't up next election he would get thrown out so fast. also people are definitely organizing. a classmate of mine, after drinking for a few days, has suddenly gotten vary motivated to get shit done. i wonder if we can ally the anthropology and environmental departments into a combined resistance.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12425 on: November 13, 2016, 11:46:34 pm »

So Trump wants to increase American defence budget by roughly 10%...
If he will also force NATO allies to do the same... We can get a new very entertaining arms race
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12426 on: November 14, 2016, 12:05:39 am »

Can we dare Trump into actually picking a sane Cabinet?
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #12427 on: November 14, 2016, 12:14:45 am »

Pretty sure we're already too late on that front. P-Ribbit (dude's street name, don't ask) may just end up the sanest/least concerning in the lot.

So Trump wants to increase American defence budget by roughly 10%...
If he will also force NATO allies to do the same... We can get a new very entertaining arms race
Eh... maybe, but he's going to have to get the money for it, first, as the article notes. While delivering promises of massive tax cuts. Not impossible, but it's another one of those "may get him killed if he tries" things, considering we really don't have that much give in our domestic spending these days. If he starts slashing that and nixes the ACA at the same time, well... there's going to be a non negligible number that's going to die anyway.

Normally I wouldn't even consider it much of a possibility, but normally we don't have a president gearing up to ruin swaths of the countryside and dismantle safety nets some already rather desperate people rely on, either, to say nothing about the possible implications for some of our minorities.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Veylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12428 on: November 14, 2016, 12:23:24 am »

His cabinet is filled with hangers-on and has-beens whose only claim to fame - and possible claim to safety - these days is their willingness to ride on his coattails. I mean, is Chris Christie really going to bail on Trump when his only payoff will be to be prosecuted for that bridge deal? I don't think so.
At what point did the suggestion of child sacrifice become the more ethical option?

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12429 on: November 14, 2016, 12:24:42 am »

His cabinet is filled with hangers-on and has-beens whose only claim to fame - and possible claim to safety - these days is their willingness to ride on his coattails. I mean, is Chris Christie really going to bail on Trump when his only payoff will be to be prosecuted for that bridge deal? I don't think so.
Christie isn't part of Trump's Cabinet, are they?

Have you looked them up?
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #12430 on: November 14, 2016, 12:45:34 am »

Have you looked them up?

He's on there for Attorney General, and I couple other things IIRC.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #12431 on: November 14, 2016, 12:57:03 am »

Have you looked them up?

He's on there for Attorney General, and I couple other things IIRC.
There's also the very top of his appointees, Steve Bannon. An anti-Semitic white nationalist. http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/white-house/analysis-breitbart-s-steve-bannon-leads-alt-right-white-house-n683316

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12432 on: November 14, 2016, 01:22:22 am »

Pretty sure we're already too late on that front. P-Ribbit (dude's street name, don't ask) may just end up the sanest/least concerning in the lot.

I thought it was Prince Reiebus. :P
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12433 on: November 14, 2016, 02:04:56 am »

I'm listening to a podcast that explains how many of Trump's beliefs come directly from infowars.com / Alex Jones' radio show. e.g. specific wording used by Trump on a bunch of topics was coined by Alex Jones.

I'm sure it fills y'all with confidence to know that the Prez gets his info from infowars.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12434 on: November 14, 2016, 02:23:21 am »

Trump says he's 'fine' with legalization of same-sex marriage

Ducking a question about his personal view on the issue, which he dismissed as “irrelevant,” Trump asserted, bluntly, “it’s done.”

“These cases have gone to the Supreme Court. They’ve been settled. And I’m—I’m fine with that,” he said.

Trump attempted to dismiss the huge crowds of protesters in several American cities as “professional protesters” and a “small amount” of people. When Stahl asked the president-elect about reports that his supporters are “harassing Latinos [and] Muslims,” Trump did not dispute the reports. Rather, he asked his backers to stop.

“I am so saddened to hear that. And I say, 'Stop it.' If it — if it helps,” Trump said, turning from Stahl to another camera positioned inside his Trump Tower apartment. “I will say this, and I will say right to the cameras: Stop it.”
What is this I don't even
._.
Pages: 1 ... 827 828 [829] 830 831 ... 1249