Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 826 827 [828] 829 830 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1389469 times)

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: Post-Apocalypse
« Reply #12405 on: November 13, 2016, 08:50:27 pm »

http://www.cnn.com/2016/11/13/politics/donald-trump-60-minutes-first-interview/index.html?adkey=bn  He supports ditching the electoral college, or in favor of getting rid of it, which is cool. No surprise that he is trending more liberal.

Of course though, so many people on both sides of the aisle hate the EC that it wouldn't matter whether he favored getting rid of it or not, though getting rid of it would actually be a political plus most likely.
plot twist, EC abolished retroactively, trump steps down for Hillary with Al as VP.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12406 on: November 13, 2016, 08:51:21 pm »

He'll just find some sort of chicanery where he can turn for profit business ventures into aid orgs, so he can monetize their suffering, to extract the funds needed.

Or, find some way to make other people hold the bag.

That sounds highly illegal though..... and he won't be able to hide where the money is coming from.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12407 on: November 13, 2016, 08:51:54 pm »

Not how it works. If Pres and VP are down, speaker of house is prez. Not the candidate who lost the vote.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12408 on: November 13, 2016, 08:52:53 pm »

Nixon could have told you how to get around that.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12409 on: November 13, 2016, 08:55:09 pm »

The way to get around it would be to fire the VP/have them stand down (I presume the system is flexible enough to allow that), pick your desired successor as the new VP and then stand down yourself.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12410 on: November 13, 2016, 08:55:18 pm »

The wall funding or the EC thing?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12411 on: November 13, 2016, 09:21:03 pm »

Does not matter, retroactive legislation is forbidden by the constitution.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ex_post_facto_law#United_States

Not that any legislators CARE about that-- the recent extensions to copyright being quite onerous in this respect, for their efforts to retroactively remove works from the public domain.........

Still, in theory, illegal.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #12412 on: November 13, 2016, 09:25:24 pm »

That depends on the method of seizure.

If you say "YOu must reinvest in your business's core infrastructure, such as training, or premises", you are still doing exactly what I said-- all the extra must be paid to infrastructure, and is decidedly "not communist" in its nature. The business owner/admin gets to pick what infrastructure he invests in.

If you say "Nope! Uncy sam will take all that, and use it to (insert social program here)", THAT is communism.

In the former, it is functionally equal to paying it to the government, because the government does not have to pay for it, where otherwise they would.

In the latter, you just remove the business owner's accumen for business, and put it in the hands of dangerous elected officials on how to use the money.

In both cases, it is functionally exactly what I said--- however, the former is significantly more free market in nature than the latter.
Communism would be the government stepping in and saying "I'm the new business owner"
Saying "Uncy Sam will take all that, and use it to (insert social program here) is still capitalism, with a very high tax rate. Everything above aforementioned million is 100% tax rate. The business itself is still owned by a private party, so no communism.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12413 on: November 13, 2016, 09:35:24 pm »

The wall funding or the EC thing?

The order of succession thing. If you recall, his VP resigned first, allowing him to bring on a new VP (Gerald Ford), before he himself resigned, and was pardoned by then-now-President Ford. (I ignored the impossible/unconstitutional retroactive-change part of the post, of course)
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12414 on: November 13, 2016, 10:17:44 pm »

If Trump somehow does a complete 180...

Well, I hope his prospective Cabinet isn't getting very used to their offices?
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12415 on: November 13, 2016, 10:28:28 pm »

can you imagine what its like to be a studying environmental scientist about now?

*well class we could go over the clean water act but that's F***** now.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12416 on: November 13, 2016, 10:31:10 pm »

Exactly.  As much as I hope he's actually running on a platform of reconstructing the establishment...  His cabinet picks indicate that he's probably just choosing based on typical *REACTIONARY* ideals.  Not just conservative ideals, but FAR right.

Of course, all we need is for someone to get facetime an double-dog-dare him to revoke FPTP.

He literally is that vulnerable to dares.  There's  solid case that he only ran for president because Obama and others wrote him off as a joke, and he took offense to that.

Fact is, these are the end times.  Good luck, AI experts!  No pressure, but either trigger the singularity or we're all dead.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2016, 09:51:10 am by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12417 on: November 13, 2016, 10:31:23 pm »

Not an environmental scientist specifically, but related field. Yeah, it's all fucked.

Survivalist websites might actually gain some use now, if only because they're obsessed about having clean food and water for sale.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #12418 on: November 13, 2016, 10:45:46 pm »

Y'know, that's an interesting thought experiment. Just how much ground water could trump's policies render unusable, and what kind of dispersal pattern would the process follow? Like, if we threw out the EPA (or just violently ravage the regulation and enforcement, which amounts to the same thing) and clean water act and all that, and had basically no checks on agriculture/industry/etc., just how much and how fast would a national scale water quality disaster propagate? Where would it start, where would it end, how long would the effects last, all those sorts of things.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12419 on: November 13, 2016, 10:49:39 pm »

Standing estimation is that if we fully exploit the frackable gas alone, it will create fracking pools across the United States equal in collective volume to the Great Lakes.

Poison more with coal ash and pipeline breaches, I figure you can probably cause a water famine and drive a couple hundred species extinct.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 826 827 [828] 829 830 ... 1249