Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 780 781 [782] 783 784 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1389728 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: Post-Apocalypse
« Reply #11715 on: November 11, 2016, 01:00:30 pm »

Yeah but really what could be done about the Trump presidency?

Like even if the protests worked and American decided "Hey, maybe Trump isn't the best president and Clinton should be in charge" what could they even do?

Which is why I consider these protests to be letting off steam.
I think it's important that this be met with protests.  If we all lay down and let it happen, that would send a bad message.
Yeah, Trump will be the president.  Everyone knows that.  If anything, that makes the protests more meaningful.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #11716 on: November 11, 2016, 01:01:16 pm »

The problem with large, peaceful protests is that it's easy to wait them out.

Occupy showed us that. They were largely peaceful, simply setting up camp somewhere visible and waiting around with signs. Eventually they gave up and left, some quicker than others, some more stubbornly than others. But eventually they all left.

They grabbed plenty of attention, but it was just that, attention, little or nothing changed as a result.
Occupy failed because many reasons. Not holding ground is one, yeah. More important one is that there was no common goal, and no clear demands. It was a congregation of splinter groups that failed to make a common statement.
Also, many Occupy demonstrations in West EU devolved into 'sing kumbaya, smoke weed and drink beer' groups that would just party, and occasionally say 'fuck the system' to any reporter that hadn't grown bored of the encampment yet, while the original organisation of the Occupy camps usually had given up trying interest the participants in politics or making any statement beyond fuck the system, and gone home days ago.
Occupy started out as a good idea, but was carried out miserably unprofessional.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11717 on: November 11, 2016, 01:02:26 pm »

Actually...I wonder how susceptible Trump is to being deluged with letters of protest at his policy points?
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

MasterFancyPants

• Bay Watcher
  • I LOVE TACOS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11718 on: November 11, 2016, 01:03:28 pm »

You guys still pushing the racist, sexist thing?

Trump got 1/3 of the minority vote and 1/2 of the female vote. He also got the majority of the white vote who previously voted for Obama.
Quote from: Frumple
Flailing people to death with empty socks, though, that takes a lot of effort. Less so if the sock's made out of something interesting, but generally quite difficult.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #11719 on: November 11, 2016, 01:05:19 pm »

Aye, he did. Not because of much he did, but he did. Lotta' folks didn't think his behavior mattered, for whatever reason.

Actually...I wonder how susceptible Trump is to being deluged with letters of protest at his policy points?
If previous behavior is anything to go by it would motivate him to do the exact opposite out of spite.

Maybe try reverse psychology, I'unno.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Dozebôm Lolumzalěs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #11720 on: November 11, 2016, 01:05:53 pm »

Anarchists and instigators will often, if not always try to use protests as an excuse to go about and cause damage. Don't blame that on the protest itself though, blame that on exactly those who are demolishing property or hurting innocent bystanders. Protesting in itself is a basic right.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding but aren't all the protests before the dude has even done anything kinda like crying wolf?  Get riled up when injustice actually starts happening instead of just when people are scared it will.

Too many big protests now and y'all might not be taken seriously when ya need to be.
Disagree. Prevention is better than damage control. Protesting against Trump as a warning to not become a full out racist bigot president, to put it bluntly, is much preferable over first letting him hurt people and protesting afterwards

Hey dude anarchism isn't the EVILZ.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11721 on: November 11, 2016, 01:06:02 pm »

But when it boils down to it, by all appearances he's a thin-skinned egotistical con man with all that entails, but that ain't really worth hate in and of itself, per se. Lots of other things, but not really hate. Now, pence? The GOP (if not really its voters) that's been hard screwing my country all my life? Maaaaybe a bit of hate. Titch. Lil bit. Work with them if it'd help but if all of them spontaneously burst into flames tomorrow I'd be dancing a little jig, for all that is a horrible, horrible sentiment.
You might be right about Trump.  It's hard to tell when he lies so much.
Pence?  I hate Pence.  I hate him in retaliation for him hating me, and people like me.  I hate him less, because I believe in deescalation, but I still hate him a lot.
I'm terrified that he might become president.  I would not be surprised if Trump got impeached with Republican support.

Trump got 1/3 of the minority vote and 1/2 of the female vote. He also got the majority of the white vote who previously voted for Obama.
As if that means a thing.  Republicans vote Republican.  Scared people vote whatever.  People who believes lies will vote against Clinton.
People do not have perfect information.  Internalized oppression is very real.

I still don't think he was that racist, but that is the shittiest argument against it.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #11722 on: November 11, 2016, 01:06:15 pm »

Because minorities voting for a racist ceases to make them racist? Women voting for a sexist ceases to make them sexist?
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11723 on: November 11, 2016, 01:07:22 pm »

t. smug liberal jackass

I've never seen anyone hide behind so many strawmen. Everything you say is a gross exaggeration of a gross exaggeration. Even the Hillary campaign was more honest than you.

Chill dude. Don't resort to name calling. Not cool.
His entire response was nothing BUT name calling!
Show me where in his his response he was name calling, because I sure as hell can't see any.
In this order. Please excuse the paraphrasing.
"You're a bigot!"
"You have no self restraint!"
"You have no self restraint!"
"I don't have to back up my wild claims!"
"Since I can't back up my wild claims, you are just as bad as you say I am!"
"You're a bigot that voted for a bigot!"
"Nuh-uh! You!"
"I'm shocked, SHOCKED that you would insinuate I'm not the saint I portray myself as! You're crazy!"
"YES! You are bad people that want to throw innocent people out on the streets, but when did I ever say that? You see, unlike you, I sit down, listen to, and discuss things rationally, and without name-calling. This is why when you say I'm Satan, you're actually talking about yourself."

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #11724 on: November 11, 2016, 01:08:11 pm »

how does that mean he's not a racist and a sexist?

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11725 on: November 11, 2016, 01:08:19 pm »

Because minorities voting for a racist ceases to make them racist? Women voting for a sexist ceases to make them sexist?

You are forgetting the third point

That being a minority means you aren't discriminate against your own? (though don't dive too far into this... The whole "Well your opinion isn't your own, a white male taught you it" becomes toxically circular when talking about minorities)

So yeah, the fact that Trump got half of the women's vote means nothing on every level.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #11726 on: November 11, 2016, 01:11:51 pm »

I am slightly surprised, that I've not seen the question brought up yet in the media, if maybe the election results have been tampered with.
I know that Trump suggested that, and that no one anti Trump likes to be accused of being a Trump, but have there been reports of independent observers on the election process? Was the voting software's source open to the public for revision? Which company made the voting software?
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11727 on: November 11, 2016, 01:12:37 pm »

A lot of them, and they're pretty easily hackable...
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11728 on: November 11, 2016, 01:13:29 pm »

You know... if you walk up to them, open them up with a key, then put in a disk drive that specifically alters the hardware.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11729 on: November 11, 2016, 01:14:29 pm »

You know... if you walk up to them, open them up with a key, then put in a disk drive that specifically alters the hardware.
And how many opportunities were there for that?
Sigtext

Pages: 1 ... 780 781 [782] 783 784 ... 1249