Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 743 744 [745] 746 747 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1392438 times)

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: Judgement Day
« Reply #11160 on: November 09, 2016, 08:29:56 pm »

It's also an evolution of the internet generation growing up and coming of age and starting to enter the political arena. At least that's what it seems like it is.
Which is scary.
They don't even need to make a political party. They can just play kingmaker. A modern Mamai.
Indeed, and as I keep saying, we should take this seriously because they do. Scientology made a business out of fucking with the US government, 4chan made a joke out of fucking with them, and got good at it. Now they're fucking with the government too.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11161 on: November 09, 2016, 08:34:58 pm »

Well, the people that grew up with the internet will have some immunity, but it'll take time for them to replace the older generation, which.... will take a while.....

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11162 on: November 09, 2016, 08:35:45 pm »

By the time the whole political scene gets renewed we'll all be old media.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11163 on: November 09, 2016, 08:45:20 pm »

BTW, huge anti-Trump protests happening in at least 7 cities, clearly we liberals aren't going to take this lying down.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11164 on: November 09, 2016, 08:47:04 pm »

Maybe this will finally be the straw that leads to a sustained protest movement. I'd say nothing could do that, but hey, 20fuckin16.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11165 on: November 09, 2016, 08:57:50 pm »

Hm, interesting, one of the commentators said that the Democrats seem to be about four or eight years behind where the Republicans are currently, so, perhaps we are experiencing a lengthy realignment period. The Republicans went through the throes of theirs, and perhaps now it's time for the Democrats to go through theirs.

It won't look the same as the Republicans obviously, but it certainly seems like a long, drawn out realignment period.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11166 on: November 09, 2016, 08:58:07 pm »

Well, the people that grew up with the internet will have some immunity, but it'll take time for them to replace the older generation, which.... will take a while.....
By the time the whole political scene gets renewed we'll all be old media.
Well fuck, there are kids for whom a computer fits in your hand and this multi-monitor+case+keyboard shit is what old folks use.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11167 on: November 09, 2016, 09:41:28 pm »

Trump's plan for his first hundred days. I'm not so sure about the timeframe, but we can expect him to at least try to do all this stuff.

Trump's idea to push for an amendment for congressional term limits is interesting, since that's something that I think would be very popular nationally. The trouble of course is that amendments have no connection whatsoever to the popular vote, and one way or another congress would need to be on board. Maybe if he held a referendum and did get a landslide, then congress would feel the necessary pressure, but I don't think this is an issue he really cares about; he probably just threw it on for more superficial reform appeal.

Still, it would be great if something came out of his mostly absurd promises, and I think a 4-6 congressional term limit would do significant good and be very popular. There are better congressional reforms that could be put in an amendment, but that would be a good start.

The other shit is half tinfoil hat tier, at least it's a consolation that he'll probably be foiled and not able to do much. Personally I'm not too hung up about losing the ACA, but whatever half-baked nutloaf he's proposing to replace it with will almost certainly be much worse. I'm much more concerned about what new legislation from congress we'll see sail on through during this period of unilateral republican control.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11168 on: November 09, 2016, 09:51:12 pm »

Trump's plan for his first hundred days. I'm not so sure about the timeframe, but we can expect him to at least try to do all this stuff.

Trump's idea to push for an amendment for congressional term limits is interesting, since that's something that I think would be very popular nationally. The trouble of course is that amendments have no connection whatsoever to the popular vote, and one way or another congress would need to be on board. Maybe if he held a referendum and did get a landslide, then congress would feel the necessary pressure, but I don't think this is an issue he really cares about; he probably just threw it on for more superficial reform appeal.

Still, it would be great if something came out of his mostly absurd promises, and I think a 4-6 congressional term limit would do significant good and be very popular. There are better congressional reforms that could be put in an amendment, but that would be a good start.

The other shit is half tinfoil hat tier, at least it's a consolation that he'll probably be foiled and not able to do much. Personally I'm not too hung up about losing the ACA, but whatever half-baked nutloaf he's proposing to replace it with will almost certainly be much worse. I'm much more concerned about what new legislation from congress we'll see sail on through during this period of unilateral republican control.

I like it too, and I like the attempt to get rid of the revolving door (no lobbying for 5 years for senators, no lobbying ever for white house officials, and a rule against foreign-sponsored lobbying to get rid of things like AIPAC) even better. Hopefully we see the swamp drained, or at least fill in the sinkholes.

It says down the page that he wants to replace it with HSA's with a federal match and a tax writeoff for elder/childcare. He also talks about making an attempt to reduce the cost of health services by speeding the approval of new drugs by the FDA, the idea being that less rigorous standards means a shorter and cheaper R&D cycle I guess. I am not a fan. I'm really just hoping that they keep the rules Obamacare introduced about insurance companies dropping/refusing to take on sick people, and forcing them to actually provide the service they advertise in general.

And I don't think the Republicans will actually be able to get all that much done. We all remember the Republican's impressively thorough obstruction during the period the Democrats were in the same situation. And even if we don't, you can be damn sure the Democrats do.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2016, 09:54:29 pm by Baffler »
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11169 on: November 09, 2016, 09:52:46 pm »

Some of that I could get behind, but most of it I have significant issues with.

Definitely getting rid of the revolving door would be nice.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11170 on: November 09, 2016, 09:54:37 pm »

http://www.cnn.com/2016/11/09/opinions/democratic-party-burn-tasini/index.html  Hm, I'm more and more convinced that we are on the cusp of a political realignment, and that the Democrats are about to have their turn.

I wonder how much this period resembles past realignment periods.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11171 on: November 09, 2016, 09:58:12 pm »

Some of his 100 day plan is... oddly reasonable.  Some of it I agree with (congressional/lobbyist reforms), some of it I disagree with (environmental shenanigans), and some of it I am skeptical about (healthcare, job creation, international trade reworking)

That said, I'd be amazed if he got half that done across his whole 4 year term, much less 100 days.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

SquatchHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • A bit drafty
    • View Profile
« Reply #11172 on: November 09, 2016, 10:01:57 pm »

Some of his 100 day plan is... oddly reasonable.  Some of it I agree with (congressional/lobbyist reforms), some of it I disagree with (environmental shenanigans), and some of it I am skeptical about (healthcare, job creation, international trade reworking)

That said, I'd be amazed if he got half that done across his whole 4 year term, much less 100 days.

Basically at this point the hate war of the election is over and the fallout has just begun. Until the inauguration and actual in office I'm basically hoping shit finally settles to a livable point.
That's technically an action, not a speech... Well it was only a matter of time before I had to write another scene of utter and horrifying perversion.

King of Candy Island.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11173 on: November 09, 2016, 10:02:11 pm »

I'm not so sure about term limits for Congress, given that, well, people should be able to choose Congresspeople pretty close to how they want them.  Lobby limits, though, definitely.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11174 on: November 09, 2016, 10:03:36 pm »

Heh, yeah the timeframe is... something, but it's still a coherent strategy.

He outlined all of this in early October, you will note. Anyone who says he didn't have a policy plan just hasn't been paying attention.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/11/09/opinions/democratic-party-burn-tasini/index.html  Hm, I'm more and more convinced that we are on the cusp of a political realignment, and that the Democrats are about to have their turn.

I wonder how much this period resembles past realignment periods.

Nobody is really noticing it right now, but The Trumpening has caused quite a bit of internal chaos in the Democratic party. It's mostly manifested as protests against the outcome of the election so far, but the people in charge know that all Trump has to do is not be Hitler to severely damage their credibility, and if things should actually improve?

Senate Democrats say they'll have a postmortem published by the end of the week, it should be an interesting read.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.
Pages: 1 ... 743 744 [745] 746 747 ... 1249