Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 737 738 [739] 740 741 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1392678 times)

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: Judgement Day
« Reply #11070 on: November 09, 2016, 06:09:06 pm »

Yea, if anything, the biggest evil in murica politics is the two party system. Politics isn't a fight of A against B, and reducing it to that just pisses people off constantly and fucks up representation completely. The electoral college at least makes some sense, the two party system kinda doest, IMO.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11071 on: November 09, 2016, 06:09:18 pm »

It's not retarded, the Electoral College is the bane of our Presidential elections. It causes shit like this where the popular vote does not decide, and it means that candidates overly focus on swing states. Dem voters in Wyoming and Republican voters in Washington both start mattering when the EC is out the door.
And now they overly focus on the most populous states. You're not changing anything, really. Get rid of Two Party first, if anything.
You can't "get rid" of the party system, it changes in response to actions. Like getting rid of the EC. Since it'd change two different shitty Presidents, I'd say that changes quite a lot.

EC votes are distributed in response to population. They already give focus to populous states. They give zero focus at all to states they think they can't break 50 with, which would change. Swing states, populous states, and "flyover country" would all be of more equal importance without the EC.

It's a relic, and correctly hated by most Americans who understand it. I have no problem with other measures, like expanding the voting changes we've gotten in Maine. But the EC needs to go. It warps everything around it.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11072 on: November 09, 2016, 06:11:43 pm »

Obama. In 4 years from now, people will want Obama back.
and we can't have him
But we could have her...

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11073 on: November 09, 2016, 06:11:51 pm »

Or maybe just give each state one point each, make them ALL equal, right?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11074 on: November 09, 2016, 06:13:04 pm »

Obama. In 4 years from now, people will want Obama back.
and we can't have him
But we could have her...

Michelle Obama has said 'no way, no, I absolutely do not want to run for political office.' After what she has gone through the past eight years, I don't blame her.

Doesn't mean she won't still be an influential figure in politics for a long time. Many past first ladies were influential long after their husband left office.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #11075 on: November 09, 2016, 06:13:48 pm »

... that would be nearly disenfranchising voters in places like cali, smj. The states would be equal but the individual vote power per capita would be massively, freakishly disproportionate. EC already kinda' does that, but one state one vote would make that so much incredibly worse it's painful to even contemplate :-\
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Vilanat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11076 on: November 09, 2016, 06:14:16 pm »

Not only a nominee can lose despite having a popular vote because of the EC, he also has a chance to lose because of the remarkable, however slim, possibility of faithless electors.

Seriously U.S, get rid of this ridiculous system.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11077 on: November 09, 2016, 06:17:21 pm »

... that would be nearly disenfranchising voters in places like cali, smj. The states would be equal but the individual vote power per capita would be massively, freakishly disproportionate. EC already kinda' does that, but one state one vote would make that so much incredibly worse it's painful to even contemplate :-\

Yeah, good point actually. It was an off-the-wall thought. The other problem is that states with high numbers aren't very competitive. But once something becomes a stronghold, candidates of the other party hardly bother campaigning there. Which leads us right back to the problems of the EC.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #11078 on: November 09, 2016, 06:18:34 pm »

That's pretty much the reasoning why each state gets two senators. And the house representative numbers are based on population in order to get a balance of power between equal representation and proportional representation in the legislative branch.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

MasterFancyPants

• Bay Watcher
  • I LOVE TACOS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11079 on: November 09, 2016, 06:20:59 pm »

Not only a nominee can lose despite having a popular vote because of the EC, he also has a chance to lose because of the remarkable, however slim, possibility of faithless electors.

"can lose despite having a popular vote because of the EC"
That's the point prior to WWII most people didn't like Jews... That would have turned out well.
I do agree that electors should be required by law for who their state chooses.
Quote from: Frumple
Flailing people to death with empty socks, though, that takes a lot of effort. Less so if the sock's made out of something interesting, but generally quite difficult.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11081 on: November 09, 2016, 06:25:56 pm »

That's pretty much the reasoning why each state gets two senators. And the house representative numbers are based on population in order to get a balance of power between equal representation and proportional representation in the legislative branch.

So

Two EC points for winning the majority vote in that state

The rest of the state's EC points go proportionately based on total percentage of the vote, round up in favor of the majority winner

(So if Trump won a 20 point state by 60%, he would get 2 points automatically, plus 60% of the 20 points.  Hillary would get the 40% left over)
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11082 on: November 09, 2016, 06:28:57 pm »

4 years of Democratic filibustering in the Senate?

http://www.cnn.com/2016/11/09/politics/scott-walker-donald-trump-filibuster/index.html Not unless they decide to remove the filibuster. Of course though, only problem with that is that the next time THEY are in the minority, they wouldn't be able to use it. A case of not thinking things through.
Yeah, considering how much they used it to block positive change under Obama, I am 200% mad at Scott Walker now.  What a two-faced... human being... worthy of respect as a fellow life form...  *deep breaths*
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Wolfhunter107

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11083 on: November 09, 2016, 06:31:40 pm »

Now I've had a day or so to think about it, I think that we're starting to get a bit ridiculous with the panicking here (I'm at fault here, too). Probably best to calm down a bit, and see what Trump actually does next.
Just ask yourself: What would a mobster do?
So we butcher them and build a 4chan tallow soap tower as a monument to our greatness?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11084 on: November 09, 2016, 06:32:33 pm »

"can lose despite having a popular vote because of the EC"
That's the point prior to WWII most people didn't like Jews... That would have turned out well.
I do agree that electors should be required by law for who their state chooses.

Huh? What does WWII have to do with the EC and why are you Godwinning or pseudo-Godwinning here?

So

Two EC points for winning the majority vote in that state

The rest of the state's EC points go proportionately based on total percentage of the vote, round up in favor of the majority winner

(So if Trump won a 20 point state by 60%, he would get 2 points automatically, plus 60% of the 20 points.  Hillary would get the 40% left over)

Poportional might be a good idea. Though I could see it leading to politicians favoring states with larger numbers (CA, TX, NY, FL, PA, any state with 10 or more ECV) and leaving states which they are confident they'll get 50% or more in. Which...... brings us right back to square one on the whole problem we're trying to solve
Pages: 1 ... 737 738 [739] 740 741 ... 1249