Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 731 732 [733] 734 735 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1392917 times)

Vilanat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: Judgement Day
« Reply #10980 on: November 09, 2016, 03:58:36 pm »

Honestly, when it comes to climate change, I've already given up on the thought that the world will actually hold things steady. At this point it's bail or bust.

Lucky for us Renewable are gradually becoming a better financial investment than fossils so that change is inevitable from Bottom to Top and not dependent on policies from Top to Bottom. so at least on this part we're covered.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10981 on: November 09, 2016, 03:58:48 pm »

If people are too afraid to walk around a college campus, then we have pretty amazing problems even without Trump. Calling the millennial generation ridiculously pampered and fragile is pretty cliche, but it is 100% accurate from my observations.

https://theintercept.com/2016/05/05/hate-crimes-rise-along-with-donald-trumps-anti-muslim-rhetoric/

Statistics disagree but whatever.

---

Sorry but it happens... Surges in hate crime do sometimes follow patterns and I don't blame anyone who is in the firing line to be genuinely afraid.

As for "Pampered and fragile" a lot of it has to do with the fact that the poor fragile Millennials don't put up with half the crap that the people before them were more then willing to put up with. Far better they be spoiled then abused in my mind...
« Last Edit: November 09, 2016, 04:02:04 pm by Neonivek »

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #10982 on: November 09, 2016, 03:59:05 pm »

Even if we space colonies that don't rely on Earth are in our immediate future (unlikely but possible I guess), there isn't enough rocket fuel on earth to get a single percent of a single percent of the population into space, so most of us are going to have to deal with the consequences of what happens.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

SaberToothTiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Wannabe Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10983 on: November 09, 2016, 03:59:36 pm »

Good night and good luck you queer as folk yanks.
I gaze into its milky depths, searching the wheat and sugar for the meanings I can never find.
It's like tea leaf divination, but with cartoon leprechauns.
There are only two sure things in life: death and taxes and lists and poor arithmetic and overlong jokes and poor memory and probably a few more things.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10984 on: November 09, 2016, 04:01:44 pm »

Good night and good luck you queer as folk yanks.

Um, thanks? Ya dinky European or wherever you are.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #10985 on: November 09, 2016, 04:02:25 pm »

Don't crash this page.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #10986 on: November 09, 2016, 04:02:38 pm »

Honestly, when it comes to climate change, I've already given up on the thought that the world will actually hold things steady. At this point it's bail or bust.

Lucky for us Renewable are gradually becoming a better financial investment than fossils so that change is inevitable from Bottom to Top and not dependent on policies from Top to Bottom. so at least on this part we're covered.
Covered, maybe, but if trump and the GOP go through the energy plans they've been outlining, it's a too-bloody-good chance we're about to see things set back years or decades so far as how soon that happens. And if the arctic's anything to by this year, how much we can afford that is questionable :-\
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Vilanat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10987 on: November 09, 2016, 04:08:48 pm »

If people are too afraid to walk around a college campus, then we have pretty amazing problems even without Trump. Calling the millennial generation ridiculously pampered and fragile is pretty cliche, but it is 100% accurate from my observations.

https://theintercept.com/2016/05/05/hate-crimes-rise-along-with-donald-trumps-anti-muslim-rhetoric/

That "study" is laughably unconvincing and biased.

Silverthrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Old Geat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10988 on: November 09, 2016, 04:10:33 pm »

I could understand, hey Prof. We stayed all night biting our fingernails only to end up dreading in bed snatching a few horror filled lapses of sleep so we're too tired to take a test,

but,

We are too scared to show up at class today? really? and you guys think the baby boomers is your problem?!

I will say, I might be more different from my own generation than I thought. Growing up as an immigrant with a family that embodies the idea that the world doesn't hand you jack shit really does make you view the world differently.

Hell, I grew up in a cozy native majority in a time and place that could give you at least an inch if you needed it, and I still didn't turn out like that. I mean goodness me. Being sheltered likely contributes, but I was (comparatively) Young Sir Sheltered von Sheltersafe, from Safeboda Parish, and still never really cultivated that sentiment.

With that said, it's reasonably warranted to be afraid, considering what he has expressed during the election and his choice of vice president. And while there are no organised Trumpist sturmabteilungers prowling every university, it's not unreasonable to be afraid of gangs still feeling high and mighty after the victory, if they consider you a target. But; it's a possibility, not a certainty.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10989 on: November 09, 2016, 04:12:58 pm »

http://www.cnn.com/2016/11/09/politics/omarosa-list-donald-trump/index.html

A list of enemies sounds incredibly Nixonian. Though it's one thing to remember who stayed loyal to you and who weren't loyal, it's another to do the same and actively go after those people......

Anyhow, now that the Democrats are effectively without a leader and Clinton has pretty much stifled any rising stars, at least any with presidential ambitions, any ideas who the next possible rising stars candidates for 2020 might be?

Kamala Harris might be one, but it'd be better for her to get a few senate terms under her belt.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10990 on: November 09, 2016, 04:14:50 pm »

Al Gore is ready.  Again.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #10991 on: November 09, 2016, 04:16:11 pm »

It seems the joke flew over your heads.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #10992 on: November 09, 2016, 04:16:16 pm »

A list of enemies sounds incredibly Nixonian. Though it's one thing to remember who stayed loyal to you and who weren't loyal, it's another to do the same and actively go after those people......

Anyhow, now that the Democrats are effectively without a leader and Clinton has pretty much stifled any rising stars, at least any with presidential ambitions, any ideas who the next possible rising stars candidates for 2020 might be?

Kamala Harris might be one, but it'd be better for her to get a few senate terms under her belt.
Obama. In 4 years from now, people will want Obama back.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

MasterFancyPants

• Bay Watcher
  • I LOVE TACOS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10993 on: November 09, 2016, 04:16:39 pm »

---

Sorry but it happens...

As for "Pampered and fragile" a lot of it has to do with the fact that the poor fragile Millennials don't put up with half the crap that the people before them were more then willing to put up with. Far better they be spoiled then abused in my mind...

That's showing a correlation between Trump and Anti-Muslim violence (on a website that has clear anti-Trump Bias see: https://theintercept.com/2016/11/09/donald-trump-will-be-president-this-is-what-we-do-next/ ).
As we all know correlation =/= causation.

More realistic reasons for both Trump's calls for more scrutiny of Muslims AND anti-Muslim violence:
The increase in high profile Islamic Terrorist attacks. (San Bernardino, Orlando, Nice, Charlie Hebdo, etc.)
The Syrian Crisis (close to 1 million refugees that are likely never going back home)

Many people (not just whites 1/3 of hispanics voted for Trump) feel, sometimes for justified reasons, that their way of life is under attack. Many of these people are going to push back to various extents.
Quote from: Frumple
Flailing people to death with empty socks, though, that takes a lot of effort. Less so if the sock's made out of something interesting, but generally quite difficult.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10994 on: November 09, 2016, 04:17:11 pm »

Obama. In 4 years from now, people will want Obama back.
and we can't have him
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.
Pages: 1 ... 731 732 [733] 734 735 ... 1249