Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 729 730 [731] 732 733 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1393113 times)

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: Judgement Day
« Reply #10950 on: November 09, 2016, 03:08:21 pm »

At the end of the day, what I cannot believe is that I wasn't cynical enough. You'd have to be an absolute chump to believe in the Land of the Free version of America, but I thought at least, at least powerful people are pragmatic. At least they're selfish and power-consolidating in a way that made sense, and the wealth of the nation guaranteed a certain progression of universal rights.

And now this motherfucker comes riding in on "Mexican immigrants are rapists, blacks are thugs and drug dealers, women should be jailed for having abortions, I'm not saying but I'm just saying macho hate and bigotry are the way to go" and the country loves it. They absolutely love it.

Even the realist America isn't enough. This really, genuinely is just a country that thrives off hatred.
The baby boomers are a generation that thrives off of hatred.

If only millennials had voted, Trump would have won no states.  If only baby boomers voted, he would have won like 40.

I've said it before and I've said it again, we need the baby boomers to die.  They use their vote for evil, and almost a third of the US budget gets directed towards social security which benefits basically only them.  While they complain that our budget is broken because of all the poors and the blacks and the immigrants getting WIC and welfare even tho those two things together are such a tiny portion of our budget as to basically not count.  Who do you think will never let us have tax increases ever?  Who do you think blocks socialized medicine on principle every election cycle, while ensuring that their MASSIVE piece of the pie will never get taken away from them?  Who do you think is so fucking worried about gay people and marijuana right now?  Cause its not young people.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #10951 on: November 09, 2016, 03:12:15 pm »

The greatest difference between baby boomers in the EU and those in the US would be that the latter were not raised by parents who know what it's like to live under a fascist regime, and witnessed razzias and mass deportations. Which is probably why the general reaction of EU politicians and media is anti-Trump.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2016, 03:14:26 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10952 on: November 09, 2016, 03:16:36 pm »

At the end of the day, what I cannot believe is that I wasn't cynical enough. You'd have to be an absolute chump to believe in the Land of the Free version of America, but I thought at least, at least powerful people are pragmatic. At least they're selfish and power-consolidating in a way that made sense, and the wealth of the nation guaranteed a certain progression of universal rights.

And now this motherfucker comes riding in on "Mexican immigrants are rapists, blacks are thugs and drug dealers, women should be jailed for having abortions, I'm not saying but I'm just saying macho hate and bigotry are the way to go" and the country loves it. They absolutely love it.

Even the realist America isn't enough. This really, genuinely is just a country that thrives off hatred.

If only millennials had voted, Trump would have won no states.  If only baby boomers voted, he would have won like 40.

I've said it before and I've said it again, we need the baby boomers to die.  They use their vote for evil, and almost a third of the US budget gets directed towards social security which benefits basically only them.  While they complain that our budget is broken because of all the poors and the blacks and the immigrants getting WIC and welfare even tho those two things together are such a tiny portion of our budget as to basically not count.  Who do you think will never let us have tax increases ever?  Who do you think blocks socialized medicine on principle every election cycle, while ensuring that their MASSIVE piece of the pie will never get taken away from them?  Who do you think is so fucking worried about gay people and marijuana right now?  Cause its not young people.
Wouldn't it be easier to impose a high cut-off age for having voting rights?

It would be incredibly anti-liberal in nature, mind you, but it would definitely prevent stuff like Brexit and Trump, through denying them the support base among old people.
._.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #10953 on: November 09, 2016, 03:18:42 pm »

1. I'm tired of politics. I just want it to end. I can understand why France went along with Bonaparte, at this point. Peace and stability? Sounds wonderful.

2. How the hell is anybody supposed to know what to think? Apathetic moderates? I totally get you now. Sorry for insulting you.

3. I'm always skeptical of "it's the old people". But with those statistics... it could actually be true. Still, I'm a bit wary of blaming everything on a group of people.

Augh Sergarr no, that would be regressive liberalism at its finest.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2016, 03:20:30 pm by Dozebôm Lolumzalìs »
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #10954 on: November 09, 2016, 03:19:50 pm »

Yes, all we need is for [Insert Group of People here] to die and then our country will be great again!

Because that statement isn't full of prejudice, fear, and hatred whatsoever!

People have said that since the fuckin' sixties. 'Once the old people die, it's all peaches.' There will always be old people. Young people voted for Trump quite a bit, this election, compared to how much they voted for Obama. The world is never as simple as that.

The one thing I'm hoping for is no riots. Please, no riots. The world goes on, life continues, the apocalypse only comes once in a millenium, this is not that day. Thank you Trump for not exacerbating tensions between different parts of the country even more, now that you've won. Jesus fucking christ I just want America not to civil war.

Edit: Building off Sergarr's idea, let's restrict old people from voting, take away their social security, and lower the required voting age to 16! If you're old enough to drive a car, you're old enough to drive our country. Nevermind how easily influenced you can be at that age, or how your forebrain's still developing up until you're mid-20s, let alone your teenage years. What matters is that the Correcttm people are voting.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10955 on: November 09, 2016, 03:22:32 pm »

Yeah I think the lack of sleep is getting to my brain

haha disregard my last post I suck cucks
._.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10956 on: November 09, 2016, 03:23:40 pm »

Honestly I've yet to actually see that, other than the usual "horseshoe theory" stuff. Maybe I'm just too moderate.
The behaviors and thought patterns seem pretty similar, honestly. Pick the people you want to otherize, do everything in your power to make them seem absolutely atrocious and inhuman, form a narrative all around "remove X and everything will be great". Only difference is what race/religion/sexual orientation/whatever you're targeting. People are blinkered by hateful rhetoric regardless of its ideological roots. The goals and methods are the same, all that differs is what you use to fill in the blanks. Authoritarian shitheads are authoritarian shitheads, and it doesn't much matter if they're citing racial purity, social justice, cultural survival, or whatever else to justify their behavior.

Another common trait, they're both popular with apolitical business sociopaths looking to keep the peasants occupied.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #10957 on: November 09, 2016, 03:23:56 pm »

It looks unlikely that anyone will riot.

And what we're looking for is the last generation to support outright segregation to die off. People who lived through a time when it was socially acceptable to kick the shit out of black people, homosexuals, communists and anyone else that they didn't feel represented the body politic of America.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #10958 on: November 09, 2016, 03:24:26 pm »

Yeah I think the lack of sleep is getting to my brain

haha disregard my last post I suck cucks
Sleep so I don't get upset with you for your righteous anger clouding your judgment

Do it maggot

Sleep tight <3
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10959 on: November 09, 2016, 03:27:25 pm »

Don't worry about it, it's all identify politics. It's just who you're establishing as "them" and whether you identify as in group or out group.

These days, it's just socially acceptable to ruin people's lives over political opinions. Look how far we've come. To quote seer Silver, "I'm honestly not sure if I'm joking or not."

I should write the Tao of Strife or something, because it's really strange to see the sheer, hilarious, caricature-level panic that's on campus right now. It could be worse. We're not at the end of the Republic, although there's some chance that we can see the end from here. However, there's always the chance that the end is visible from where we sit.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10960 on: November 09, 2016, 03:27:35 pm »

Is this the meme life
...or just a /pol/ wet dream?
Caught on a wild ride
We are here for eternity

Open your files
Scroll up to the rares and see

It's just a damn frog
Feels are there too maybe
It started very dumb
So much so
The alt-right
Missed the joke
Then it laughed as Trump rose
Doesn't really matter

...to memes

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10961 on: November 09, 2016, 03:31:25 pm »

I had a test cancelled for today since some students emailed the professor saying they're too scared to come in today.

For fuck's sake, people, it's not the end of the world. Not yet, anyway.

Given Trump all but directly told people to use guns if the election doesn't go his way...

AND given that Anti-Muslim crime goes up after every Trump Speech.

AND we already have had a election riot.

Yeah this election TOTALLY has me reassured that nothing bad will happen.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10962 on: November 09, 2016, 03:32:22 pm »

Don't worry about it, it's all identify politics. It's just who you're establishing as "them" and whether you identify as in group or out group.

These days, it's just socially acceptable to ruin people's lives over political opinions. Look how far we've come. To quote seer Silver, "I'm honestly not sure if I'm joking or not."

I should write the Tao of Strife or something, because it's really strange to see the sheer, hilarious, caricature-level panic that's on campus right now. It could be worse. We're not at the end of the Republic, although there's some chance that we can see the end from here. However, there's always the chance that the end is visible from where we sit.

I had a test cancelled for today since some students emailed the professor saying they're too scared to come in today.

For fuck's sake, people, it's not the end of the world. Not yet, anyway.

We actually had that question in class today. Serious, frank question if the midterm could get moved because of the election. If anything is going to ruin my college chances, it's going to be breaking down laughing or ranting at an inopportune time.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #10963 on: November 09, 2016, 03:32:47 pm »

Is this the meme life
...or just a /pol/ wet dream?
Caught on a wild ride
We are here for eternity

Open your files
Scroll up to the rares and see

It's just a damn frog
Feels are there too maybe
It started very dumb
So much so
The alt-right
Missed the joke
Then it laughed as Trump rose
Doesn't really matter

...to memes
I approve of this message
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #10964 on: November 09, 2016, 03:33:11 pm »

I'm ready for this to end now, okay? Good joke everybody, but this is just too preposterous to exist.

Hmm, have people thought this before? If so, then I could stop freaking out.

@Ispil: Yes, just because the next president will be awful doesn't mean that you're in any danger yet.

@Neo: Of course it's looking bad for them, but nobody's going to shoot them. Or if someone does, they would have done it regardless of the election results.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!
Pages: 1 ... 729 730 [731] 732 733 ... 1249